• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Returned (Les Revenants)

PattiCakeUS

Android Expert
May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
This is both a 2012 French TV show that aired on Sundance channel (Season 1 is currently available on Netflix) AND a made in the US version that just started airing on A&E. I'm watching both because I read this online about the US version:
"Over time, our show becomes quite different, particularly around episode six," executive producer Carlton Cuse told reporters. "The French show became very genre, incident-heavy at the end of its eight episodes. We take a different turn at that point. While we start at a similar place, the show is fairly, distinctively different by the end of its first season."

So far only episodes 1 & 2 of the US version have aired. The names of the main characters are the same in the US version as the French version up to this point but many supporting characters have different names, so if you watch an episode & want to comment, make sure you say which version you're commenting on :)

Synopsis:
In a small mountain town, many dead people reappear, apparently alive and normal: teenage girl (& identical twin) Camille who died in a school bus accident; young man Simon, who died on his wedding day; creepy little boy "Victor"; and Serge (I'm guessing this name will be different in the US version), a serial killer.

In episode 1 Camille returns to her family - the same willful, contradictory young girl she always was. But her parents are no longer together and her twin sister, Lena, is understandably scared and confused at her sisters return. Do they hide her? Announce this miracle to the world?

Everyone reacts differently to the Returnees - some with joy, some with fear, others with revenge.

The Returned is atmospheric, creepy, and completely captivating. And it's a slow burn, with the patience and confidence to slowly reveal relationships, connections, and what may - or may not - be happening. Every episode is titled after a character, and each one is riveting beyond words.

I've been hearing that the French version has gotten weird/bad, & I watched the first new episode of that last night & didn't enjoy it.

I know the US version storyline was pulling away from the French so I'm hoping it will still be good when it returns (pun intended).

Edited to add: Bummer. I just googled & I guess the A&E version was cancelled & there won't be a 2nd season. [emoji19]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones