• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Rogers Magic 2.1 Thread

mjschmidt

Android Expert
Jun 27, 2009
In my house.
Yeah, I know it will be a while, but I thought we could get a head start.

For example, according to this article HTC Hero Gets 2.1 Too! | Android Phone Fans the HTC HERO should be getting 2.1 in March!

Since the Hero hardware is apparently very similar (the same?) as the Magic, might we see 2.1 here around the same time, or possibly soon after? This is NOT the same 2.1 update that the US will get, I think this is European?

And obviously this means the Hero can run 2.1, so will Telus Hero owners get 2.1 as well?

Interesting. Very interesting.

Let the speculation begin!

I'm willing to bet they will polish off the other hero roms and then port them to our magics so I would think we won't get ours until later (april-june?). I would be happy to wait even longer if it means we can get flash 10.1. Mary hasn't responded to my other thread about flash and I'm thinking she's not going to.

Upvote 0
I like the simple way that sense links twitter, Flickr & Facebook into contacts, would like to see more options there with the new update. Are you listening HTC? Also would like to see an integrated HTC Facebook app/widget something like peep.

I know, I know..... there are better Twitter apps, I have a couple, but I find myself using peep quite often. Maybe HTC could add a setting to the home screen widgets that would allow users to select app to use with it.

gbd

Upvote 0
I like the simple way that sense links twitter, Flickr & Facebook into contacts, would like to see more options there with the new update. Are you listening HTC? Also would like to see an integrated HTC Facebook app/widget something like peep.

I know, I know..... there are better Twitter apps, I have a couple, but I find myself using peep quite often. Maybe HTC could add a setting to the home screen widgets that would allow users to select app to use with it.

gbd

Upvote 0
Let the speculation begin!

I want to see "Google Search by Voice" integrated into the 2.1 release. I gather that this hasn't been included with Roger's previous builds due to incomplete support for both official languages (Google's issue, apparently). I have installed this app on the recent Rogers Android 1.5 update (with HTC Sense UI) on my HTC Magic following these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/rogers/395...issing-after-911bugfix-update.html#post332248

Upvote 0
I want to see "Google Search by Voice" integrated into the 2.1 release. I gather that this hasn't been included with Roger's previous builds due to incomplete support for both official languages (Google's issue, apparently). I have installed this app on the recent Rogers Android 1.5 update (with HTC Sense UI) on my HTC Magic following these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/rogers/395...issing-after-911bugfix-update.html#post332248

Well, on my non-rooted, non-updated phone I can use "Voice Dialer" to search for contacts and applications, so it's not universal search, per se but it does do limited voice search of the phone.

Upvote 0
Well, on my non-rooted, non-updated phone I can use "Voice Dialer" to search for contacts and applications, so it's not universal search, per se but it does do limited voice search of the phone.

I was a fan of the Voice Dialer on the previous ROM as well. As it was not included in the update, I'm using TopVoiceControl as a replacement, It is similar, but with a few customizations ...

"Google Search by Voice" is a different product. It integrates voice control with the Google search engine. or example, you can say "find pizza" and all the pizza vendors near you will be displayed in Google search results. Read more at: Official Google Mobile Blog: Search with your voice on Android

For now, you can install the install the Google Search by Voice APK manually. After installation, if you delete the Google Search widget from your "home screen", then replace the widget again, you'll be able to see the microphone button right next to the search box and the search button.

It would be great if "Google Search by Voice" were included in the pending Roger/HTC Android 2.1 release.

Upvote 0
i find sense laggy now,it was great at first but their are much better apps then the ones sense ui provides...over all i recreated my own UI from apps that i found ran much smother and less buggy.

on the other hand sense ui is very dummy proof and for most people that don't take time to play with apps is has good range of stuff to keep most users happy.

Upvote 0
I was a fan of the Voice Dialer on the previous ROM as well. As it was not included in the update, I'm using TopVoiceControl as a replacement, It is similar, but with a few customizations ...

"Google Search by Voice" is a different product. It integrates voice control with the Google search engine. or example, you can say "find pizza" and all the pizza vendors near you will be displayed in Google search results. Read more at: Official Google Mobile Blog: Search with your voice on Android

For now, you can install the install the Google Search by Voice APK manually. After installation, if you delete the Google Search widget from your "home screen", then replace the widget again, you'll be able to see the microphone button right next to the search box and the search button.

It would be great if "Google Search by Voice" were included in the pending Roger/HTC Android 2.1 release.

When I click on the link that you supplied above for the Google Search by Voice APK I am prompted to save a .zip file. What are the steps for copying this onto my Magic? I have copies straight .apk files before but don't know what to do with the .zip file.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Upvote 0
When I click on the link that you supplied above for the Google Search by Voice APK I am prompted to save a .zip file. What are the steps for copying this onto my Magic? I have copies straight .apk files before but don't know what to do with the .zip file.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Just tried it and its a .apk for me. Can you unzip the .zip you get to get the .apk back?

Upvote 0
Should I rename this thread to the "Google search by voice .apk discussion" thread?

icon12.gif

Upvote 0
Personally I hate Sense UI and would love to be able to remove it in any future updates which HTC provides. I much prefer the OOTB Home Screen and would stick to that as much as possible.

With the recent update from HTC / Rogers to provide Sense UI on Magic, I've noticed it being a much heavier app with all these integrations resulting in a drastic drain in battery life.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

I'd love to see this incorporated. As a suggestion, MJSchmidt, GBD and myself are working on a presentation for Rogers and would love it if you guys (android community/users) can provide a list of things that you would like to see available as part of the Android 2.1 update for the Magic.

We can take this and include it as part of our presentation to Rogers. Just a thought!

Android, of the people, for the people, by the people!

Leave NO Droid Behind!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help!! Went to the link when I got home from work and this time it was linked to the .apk file. So maybe it was my work network changing it to a .zip file...
Installed and works great!!

Perhaps some media type extensions got screwed up? APK files are actually in ZIP format - essentially they are a specialized JAR file.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
APPLE!! HAHAHAHA what a Joke..

Did you see the Patents... its so Lame its like if Apple made toilet paper they would have a Patent for the way you wipe your A$$..

Their patents are bogus. This is why I hate the Iphone to much control... Apple is just upset that android is going to be selling more phones then them down the road.. It will not delay the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones