• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods The root club [Root only]

Upvote 0
Cool. I bookmarked it for later trial.

I finally got the reboot & shutdown scripts to work, by the way. Same scripts I had originally... they run through SManager, but I can't figure out what I did differently.

One thing that happened is that I wound up with two copies of each - one with a tilde attached to the name.

Reboot
Reboot~

Shut Down
Shut Down~

The second of each pair worked - so I just deleted the other two and renamed them without the tilde. Then I used SM's shortcut widgets to put them on the screen. I never would have guessed that something so simple would turn out to be so difficult. And the worst part is that I'm not sure I really learned anything. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Pretty sure that the ~ versions were backups.

Script Manager probably gave execution privileges - something easily overlooked in Linux at first, but terribly important.

Yep. It deleted a line, too: (/system/xbin/su)

I guess SM figured that since I gave the script root access within SM, the line wasn't needed. The tip-off was that the file sizes were different. I used an "SM Shortcut" to get it on the desktop. The SM Widget works also, but I cannot put a widget in a folder.

Upvote 0
Yep. It deleted a line, too: (/system/xbin/su)

I guess SM figured that since I gave the script root access within SM, the line wasn't needed. The tip-off was that the file sizes were different. I used an "SM Shortcut" to get it on the desktop. The SM Widget works also, but I cannot put a widget in a folder.

Widgets in folders is an Android limitation so far as I know.

The line it removed would have broken your script - had it run in batch mode, it would have switched to a new shell for the root user, and the script would have stopped.

Think of it as just like adding a PowerShell reference for an administrator task inside a normal Windows user bat file - same thing, it would stop, you can be one or the other in batch mode.

And you're absolutely right, the way to do it is to give the script su rights.

Upvote 0
Is anyone having problems rooting
SGH-i337M with motochopper? I keep getting a failure with the script before the reboot. I ran it 6 times and stills doesn't want to root.

What? I'm surprised you didn't get any help after El Presidente moved your thread to the AT&T S4 forum.

I got nothing, don't have an S4 - but I'm going to ask staff if they can help you out some.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Widgets in folders is an Android limitation so far as I know.

The line it removed would have broken your script - had it run in batch mode, it would have switched to a new shell for the root user, and the script would have stopped.

Think of it as just like adding a PowerShell reference for an administrator task inside a normal Windows user bat file - same thing, it would stop, you can be one or the other in batch mode.

And you're absolutely right, the way to do it is to give the script su rights.

If you're wanting to run a specific command as root, use
Code:
su -c "command"

That will run that command as root

Upvote 0
Hey guys i have a problem and was hoping you could help me out

I have a rooted s3 and i deleted the browser via titanium backup a while back, recently i reset my device, totally forgetting about this and now i have no browser so i cant access the internet, i have tried adding the chrome apk by putting it on my micro sd from my computer but it will not let me install the app, any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Also i forgot to mention that i am getting the "unable to establish a reliable internet connection" google error so i cannot just download something from the play store

also how do i reroot it

Upvote 0
Hey guys i have a problem and was hoping you could help me out

I have a rooted s3 and i deleted the browser via titanium backup a while back, recently i reset my device, totally forgetting about this and now i have no browser so i cant access the internet, i have tried adding the chrome apk by putting it on my micro sd from my computer but it will not let me install the app, any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Also i forgot to mention that i am getting the "unable to establish a reliable internet connection" google error so i cannot just download something from the play store

also how do i reroot it

Hey s3phoneproblem, welcome to our AndroidForums! :wavey:

Can you tell us who your carrier is (and/or if you have the S3 4G LTE)?

I'd like to move your post over to the appropriate S3 all-things-root area since I think the good folks in there could help you out best (i.e., pointing you to the correct browser .apk file and re-rooting method, etc.).

Cheers and let us know!

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones