The rumors or GMail's demise are greatly exaggerated

Last Updated:

1. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around why facebook mail would spell the end of gmail. Heck, its not even the biggest email client out there, yahoo and aol are bigger from what I recall.

Take this article, "You've Got FMail" by Steve Gillmor:

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

I think perhaps the staff of TechCrunch are all just fuggin insane and have been infected by Captain Blowhard MG Siegler.

3. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

Why on earth would I trust Facebook with my EMAIL of all things? I barely trust them with my name.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
  4. cabbie

indeed. I am highly considering deactivating my account and starting a new, truly anonymous one so i can scrap the nearly decades worth of social graph ive given them. Facebook is evil, but they are here to stay. I'm in the process of downloading my account (its been several hours and still havent seen the email saying it was ready) in case I go through with it.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Exactly! I barely even use Facebook, I have no desire to give them all my email business. I know Google is using info from it too, but at least they're motto is "Don't be evil!" While Facebook has shown that they can't be trusted, and plenty of people know that.

6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Facebook is a double edged sword. There are more and more people flocking to it... but it's doing a bang up job at driving a wedge between people. There's too much information in Facebook that's too poorly distributed or protected...

7. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

The article is slightly confusing. Is facebook trying to push e-mail? I don't even use facebook so good luck with that!

8. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I rarely use Facebook as it is but there's no way I'd use them for my email.