The Samsung Galaxy S could Easily be One of The Best Phones You Can Buy

Last Updated:

1. Railroadmaster

Railroadmaster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What Does Everyone Think of The Samsung Galaxy S?
    Here are some reasons why it will be one of the best line of phones ever.

Available On all Major Carriers
    It will be available on all Major carriers in the United States so it isn't an exclusive phone like the Droid line, HTC Evo 4g, and MyTouch Line.

Advanced Connectivity Options
    802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0, and dlna (Heck My Pc doesn't even have these things. I think it is time to replace my IBM Thinkpad t42)

Tv Out
    Typically a feature found only Nokia nseries devices now available on Android phone! (However the Evo 4g and Droid X have these things)

Super Amoled Display
    The display is large enough where it fits in my pocket but it is also very large and nice to look at. So large display but fits in my pocket unlike the Droid X and Evo 4g. Also Super Amoled is brighter and richer than most displays and has improved viewing angle in outdoors.

1ghz hummingbird Processor
    Neocore Benchmark here YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Neocore benchmark
    Quake 2 compared with HTC desire running on Qualcomm Snapdragon YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S
    Quake 3 YouTube - Quake3 (demo) on Samsung Galaxy S
    Asphalt 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqoFGYehLc
    Nova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ4N7QAlHd4

Camera
    5 megapixels with or without flash depending on which version you buy. Gsm Versions of the phone don't while cdma versions do. Most importantly the video it takes looks fantastic.
    Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeb83d97dZM
    Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GhHs5mZ7g4

Easy Root Process
    This is something that would be a deal maker for me and many Android users. Rooting process isn't too difficult compared to other Android phones. Found tutorial here AT&T Samsung Captivate / Galaxy S root tutorial

I think because of all of that the Galaxy S will be able to pwn all other phones. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Needs 100% attention from Samsung to succeed.

3. Railroadmaster

I agree with a good marketing campaign and deals from carriers this phone will do very well. It has already sold 500,000 in South Korea alone source here Samsung Galaxy S Sales Pass 500K In South Korea we will have to wait and see how it sells in the United States.

4. Amity

Amity New Member

I do believe that the Samsung Galaxy S is a good phone, But it can lag time to time with opening large application's and other stuff.

This phone does up into competition with the HTC Desire & HTC Legend Pro! But with some more update's just for Galaxy S it can be the leader in retailing Smartphones Today!

5. Railroadmaster

With Android 2.2 this phone will be unstoppable! Samsung said the update should be available later next month.

6. lcgreen

lcgreen Well-Known Member

The problem is that, the version of the Galaxy S that the rest of the world gets.....looks shit.

...Samsung needs better phone aesthetic designers..

7. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

the captivate looks sexy as hell. The carbon fiber looking back is real nice.

8. Amity

Amity New Member

It is a good looking phone. It does need to have some bug's fixed with a android upgrade. Then the phone will be unstoppable. I wish they would had some extra feature's like the HTC Desire has but that is just my opinion :)

9. lcgreen

lcgreen Well-Known Member

Do you not realise the rest of the world other than America cannot get the Captivate? We get the original Galaxy S design.

Look at what you quoted. then look at your response. did you miss something there? yes.

Can you get the Captivate outside America? no.

10. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

yup. I just wish they made one phone with everything

11. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

I think it may be a great phone but the problems as as soon as it hits it will be backordered like th rest right into a brand new even better phone that has come out

12. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

I have the Captivate. On paper, it's a great phone. In practice, it's sucks.

It's laggy, it freezes often, it stutters on every music track I play, GPS is broken.

It's going back.

13. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

They really need to rush an update out to fix these small issues. From fixes I've seen on the XDA forums, it seems like they are all fairly minor bugs that are easy to fix, so they should just release an update already and worry about froyo in september.

However, the source for the Captivate was just released today. I'm going to try a rom that is sure to come out in the next couple weeks, and if that doesn't fix the gps/lag problem(caused by using the sdcard as ram or something like that from what I heard), I'll be forced to go back to my iPhone 4. Believe me, I don't want to do that, because when things are going smoothly this phone KICKS ASS.

edit: they really need to push out an update before everyone's 30 days runs out or they are going to get a lot of returns. I fail to understand why Samsung doesn't see this?

14. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

I have the Captivate as well. So far I love the phone, but there some instances when it will lag a bit. HOPEFULLY Samsung realizes this and will get updates out quick because the way I see it, this is their flagship phone and they can't afford to get bad press on it. The music player on the phone does lag when changing songs, not sure if this is the case with other Android phones or not. The TouchWiz isn't all that great but getting other launchers easily solve that problem.

15. mrspeedmaster

Strange. The only problem with the Galaxy S is the GPS and mail app right now.

It is inherently faster than all the Android in my workplace - Droid, Rooted Droid, Incredible, EVO, Nexus One. Every Android user (I know) who touches this phone in person is in love with its speed and built in apps.

16. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

The way Samsung is going and the way Motorola is going I will be very closely looking at Samsung for my next phone. Hopefully next summer, a LTE Android phone on Verizon. I have the Droid X now and I love it, but I don't like the locked bootloader. Samsung is keeping everything open and they are building some really nice Android phones with the Galaxy S line.

17. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

I think the original galaxy s and the sprint version called the epic are the only ones that you can say are easily some of the best phones. They all have the same screen and touchwiz, but the t-mobile and att versions were butchered. No flash, led notification, or front facing camera which is the only forgivable feature since that is not a standard yet.

Add in the gps and music skipping issues, lag and I would see why anyone would easily not get an american galaxy s issues.

On the other hand, even after all this, I ordered a samsung captivate and I'm getting rid of my droid inc. I didn't have a problem with it but I have to get off my family plan and start a new plan of my own so I have to sell the droid inc to pay the termination fee even if I stayed on verizon. I am just getting this in the hope that the gps issue will be officially fixed my samsung although there are some quick fixes out there. Also, with test builds of froyo out there for the original galaxy s, I'm sure froyo for the captivate won't be far behind which hopefully stops any lag issues.

The final thing that made me get the captivate is price. I got it for $90 on amazon, and will be able to get a 15% discount on my att bill with att premier and my .edu email.

I am doing this with a lot of faith in samsung. I'm predicting that with them putting out so many of these galaxy s phones that they will be standing behind their "galaxy s" line and providing support. Due to the hummingbird processor, this is the fastest phone out there giving this thing a long lifecyle of which should include many software updates.

18. Railroadmaster

You can thank the at&t crapware for that. I have tried other Galaxy S phones and they generally have better performance.

19. Railroadmaster

The only thing that original Galaxy S has that US versions don't is the front facing camera. The European version never had led flash. The only thing I would really want is updates to Android 2.2 and 3.0

20. mrspeedmaster

Launcher Pro solves all the lag issue.

Also, rooting takes less than 1/2 an hour.

21. Storm613

Storm613 Well-Known Member

Idk what's so great about it... I look at it and all I see is iPhone.

I'll stick with my Droid Incredible ;)

22. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

^^^

Does the Epic 4G look like an Iphone?? Just curious of your thoughts on other variants... Does it help to look a little different?

23. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

SGS has a bunch of software issues but they can be fixed. Epic has the missing features (though it doesn't have 3D sound like the captivate and vibrant) and I heard it also has a SIM slot. The best of both worlds: cdma coverage and can be used as a world phone!

24. tomthetank

tomthetank Well-Known Member

you guys think this is overall better than the desire?

25. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I would definitely consider one of these phones if it came to Verizon. I don't want to switch carriers because my coverage is good here. I don't like HTC phones or Sense UI and I refuse to buy another Motorola thanks to their locked bootloaders, so Samsung is starting to look like a viable option to me. I was never too keen on buying Samsung phones in the past, but if a variant of this pops up on the Verizon network and there is a good root/ROM community, I might just try it out.