• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Samsung Galaxy S could Easily be One of The Best Phones You Can Buy

What Does Everyone Think of The Samsung Galaxy S?
Here are some reasons why it will be one of the best line of phones ever.

Available On all Major Carriers
It will be available on all Major carriers in the United States so it isn't an exclusive phone like the Droid line, HTC Evo 4g, and MyTouch Line.

Advanced Connectivity Options
802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0, and dlna (Heck My Pc doesn't even have these things. I think it is time to replace my IBM Thinkpad t42)

Tv Out
Typically a feature found only Nokia nseries devices now available on Android phone! (However the Evo 4g and Droid X have these things)

Super Amoled Display
The display is large enough where it fits in my pocket but it is also very large and nice to look at. So large display but fits in my pocket unlike the Droid X and Evo 4g. Also Super Amoled is brighter and richer than most displays and has improved viewing angle in outdoors.

1ghz hummingbird Processor
Neocore Benchmark here YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Neocore benchmark
Quake 2 compared with HTC desire running on Qualcomm Snapdragon YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S
Quake 3 YouTube - Quake3 (demo) on Samsung Galaxy S
Asphalt 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqoFGYehLc
Nova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ4N7QAlHd4

Camera
5 megapixels with or without flash depending on which version you buy. Gsm Versions of the phone don't while cdma versions do. Most importantly the video it takes looks fantastic.
Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeb83d97dZM
Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GhHs5mZ7g4

Easy Root Process
This is something that would be a deal maker for me and many Android users. Rooting process isn't too difficult compared to other Android phones. Found tutorial here AT&T Samsung Captivate / Galaxy S root tutorial

I think because of all of that the Galaxy S will be able to pwn all other phones. What do you guys think?

I do believe that the Samsung Galaxy S is a good phone, But it can lag time to time with opening large application's and other stuff.

This phone does up into competition with the HTC Desire & HTC Legend Pro! But with some more update's just for Galaxy S it can be the leader in retailing Smartphones Today!

Upvote 0
I do believe that the Samsung Galaxy S is a good phone, But it can lag time to time with opening large application's and other stuff.

This phone does up into competition with the HTC Desire & HTC Legend Pro! But with some more update's just for Galaxy S it can be the leader in retailing Smartphones Today!
With Android 2.2 this phone will be unstoppable! Samsung said the update should be available later next month.

Upvote 0
the captivate looks sexy as hell. The carbon fiber looking back is real nice.

Do you not realise the rest of the world other than America cannot get the Captivate? We get the original Galaxy S design.

Look at what you quoted. then look at your response. did you miss something there? yes.

Can you get the Captivate outside America? no.

Upvote 0
I have the Captivate. On paper, it's a great phone. In practice, it's sucks.

It's laggy, it freezes often, it stutters on every music track I play, GPS is broken.

It's going back.

They really need to rush an update out to fix these small issues. From fixes I've seen on the XDA forums, it seems like they are all fairly minor bugs that are easy to fix, so they should just release an update already and worry about froyo in september.

However, the source for the Captivate was just released today. I'm going to try a rom that is sure to come out in the next couple weeks, and if that doesn't fix the gps/lag problem(caused by using the sdcard as ram or something like that from what I heard), I'll be forced to go back to my iPhone 4. Believe me, I don't want to do that, because when things are going smoothly this phone KICKS ASS.

edit: they really need to push out an update before everyone's 30 days runs out or they are going to get a lot of returns. I fail to understand why Samsung doesn't see this?

Upvote 0
I have the Captivate as well. So far I love the phone, but there some instances when it will lag a bit. HOPEFULLY Samsung realizes this and will get updates out quick because the way I see it, this is their flagship phone and they can't afford to get bad press on it. The music player on the phone does lag when changing songs, not sure if this is the case with other Android phones or not. The TouchWiz isn't all that great but getting other launchers easily solve that problem.

Upvote 0
The way Samsung is going and the way Motorola is going I will be very closely looking at Samsung for my next phone. Hopefully next summer, a LTE Android phone on Verizon. I have the Droid X now and I love it, but I don't like the locked bootloader. Samsung is keeping everything open and they are building some really nice Android phones with the Galaxy S line.

Upvote 0
I think the original galaxy s and the sprint version called the epic are the only ones that you can say are easily some of the best phones. They all have the same screen and touchwiz, but the t-mobile and att versions were butchered. No flash, led notification, or front facing camera which is the only forgivable feature since that is not a standard yet.

Add in the gps and music skipping issues, lag and I would see why anyone would easily not get an american galaxy s issues.

On the other hand, even after all this, I ordered a samsung captivate and I'm getting rid of my droid inc. I didn't have a problem with it but I have to get off my family plan and start a new plan of my own so I have to sell the droid inc to pay the termination fee even if I stayed on verizon. I am just getting this in the hope that the gps issue will be officially fixed my samsung although there are some quick fixes out there. Also, with test builds of froyo out there for the original galaxy s, I'm sure froyo for the captivate won't be far behind which hopefully stops any lag issues.

The final thing that made me get the captivate is price. I got it for $90 on amazon, and will be able to get a 15% discount on my att bill with att premier and my .edu email.

I am doing this with a lot of faith in samsung. I'm predicting that with them putting out so many of these galaxy s phones that they will be standing behind their "galaxy s" line and providing support. Due to the hummingbird processor, this is the fastest phone out there giving this thing a long lifecyle of which should include many software updates.

Upvote 0
I think the original galaxy s and the sprint version called the epic are the only ones that you can say are easily some of the best phones. They all have the same screen and touchwiz, but the t-mobile and att versions were butchered. No flash, led notification, or front facing camera which is the only forgivable feature since that is not a standard yet.

Add in the gps and music skipping issues, lag and I would see why anyone would easily not get an american galaxy s issues.

On the other hand, even after all this, I ordered a samsung captivate and I'm getting rid of my droid inc. I didn't have a problem with it but I have to get off my family plan and start a new plan of my own so I have to sell the droid inc to pay the termination fee even if I stayed on verizon. I am just getting this in the hope that the gps issue will be officially fixed my samsung although there are some quick fixes out there. Also, with test builds of froyo out there for the original galaxy s, I'm sure froyo for the captivate won't be far behind which hopefully stops any lag issues.

The final thing that made me get the captivate is price. I got it for $90 on amazon, and will be able to get a 15% discount on my att bill with att premier and my .edu email.

I am doing this with a lot of faith in samsung. I'm predicting that with them putting out so many of these galaxy s phones that they will be standing behind their "galaxy s" line and providing support. Due to the hummingbird processor, this is the fastest phone out there giving this thing a long lifecyle of which should include many software updates.
The only thing that original Galaxy S has that US versions don't is the front facing camera. The European version never had led flash. The only thing I would really want is updates to Android 2.2 and 3.0

Upvote 0
I would definitely consider one of these phones if it came to Verizon. I don't want to switch carriers because my coverage is good here. I don't like HTC phones or Sense UI and I refuse to buy another Motorola thanks to their locked bootloaders, so Samsung is starting to look like a viable option to me. I was never too keen on buying Samsung phones in the past, but if a variant of this pops up on the Verizon network and there is a good root/ROM community, I might just try it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones