The Skype app is here..General

Last Updated:

1. smacky

smacky Banned This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. RubberDucker

RubberDucker Well-Known Member

Doesn't Skype require 2.1? If so... more hope for the OTA getting here before the release...

I know... I'm fueling the fire. I'm on the leak, so I'm already happy!

I just replaced Nimbuzz with eBuddy and eBuddy doesn't so Skype, so it'll be nice to have the official app.

3. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this means we're getting 2.1 on Thursday...

4. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

I could of sworn there was an official skype a while back on 1.5 like around December. It sucked so I deleted it.

5. smacky

No, the phones listed are getting the app the way they are right now. The Devour came out less than a month ago. The Devour, Droid, and Eris are not getting 2.1 within the next two days for a Skype app.

6. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

The official skype app that you're thinking of did suck. I only used it for type chatting and even that was pretty bad. This new app is supposed to let you make calls to other skype users with just data and it won't use your minutes.

I'm waiting for Google to do something similar with Google Voice. Come on, Google...*shakes fist angrily*

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I wonder if they plan to bundle this in with the OTA. It could be one of the unmentioned reasons the Droid OTA was pushed back.

8. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

+1

9. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

I don't recall saying that we'd get 2.1 because of the skype app. Nope, just re-read my post, doesn't say that anywhere.

BUT, considering that Verizon has stated that we would get 2.1 by the end of Q1, and that 3/23 has been tossed around quite a bit, AND Verizon is actively standing behind Skype on 3/25, it sounds like it might not be a marketplace app, so perhaps it's rolled into the OTA.

10. smacky

Your post suggested that Skype would be the reason we got an OTA firmware update.

Maybe I'm missing something but I doubt Verizon will lump Skype in with an update. It seems like that would make it part of one of those programs that you can't uninstall like Footprints. And that won't be a good thing.

11. arock

arock Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I read online somewhere earlier today that it is getting pushed to blackberry's and will be available in the market for android devices.

12. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that it's as great app but I'd rather it be in the Marketplace and have the choice to uninstall if it turns out to be junk. Of course a rooted 2.1 would solve any of those issues.

13. kissfan_88

kissfan_88 Active Member

But looking at it this whole skype thing and the android marketplace, isnt there different versions of marketplace for the android os(2.0,1.6,1.5?), so wouldn't verizon have to release two different versions of skype for the the moto and eris?

14. smacky

No, it will be fine. If it isn't compatible with your version, it just simply won't show in the Market.

Which makes me think, since some apps are "protected," this might mean 2.1 adopters won't see Skype if it too is protected. VZW isn't expecting there to be Erises running 2.1.

15. smacky

16. smacky

Just a few more hours. Gonna be able to talk to aunts in Hong Kong and uncles in India on my cell. Yay.

No, not really. We never call.

17. Drew95376

Drew95376 Well-Known Member

Any idea when App's are released? Thinking is the 25th now in New York :)

18. Drew95376

Drew95376 Well-Known Member

Just downloaded from market...Won't sign in to my account! Anyone else?

Update: Works Now!

19. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

Just tried to download Skype from Skype.com/mobile.

Entered phone number > received text > followed link > got this message:

"Sorry, Skype Mobile is not available for your phone. Switch to one of Verizon's best selling Blackberry and Android 3G smartphones."

Eris is listed as one of the compatible phones on Verizon's Skype site: Verizon Wireless with Skype mobile

20. enkode

enkode Well-Known Member

It does not work with the 2.1 update "for me either". Got same text error and doesn't show in the market.

*edit* just installed the new 2.1 update and i had the skype website send me a text. I got to the mobile page and it recognized the phone but still didnt download when searching for skype in the market. with the old 2.1 it didnt even recognize the phone... so i still dont have skype. :("

21. justinr

justinr Active Member

just downloaded skypemobile from the app market. works without 2.1... oddly, now that a new app is actually backwards compatible all the way to our lovely phones, i find it a bit depressing as it's simply less of a chance for a quicker update.

22. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

I've heard of Skype but what is it exactly?

23. kamots

kamots Well-Known Member

um just downloaded skype, but i dont know anyone overseas anymore, so im thinking that this is not the best app. mainly because all domestic call are routed through VZW if i understood correctly. might still be good for texting though.:rolleyes: I f i could talk friends an family into moving overseas, this would be perfect. I hear Ireland is nice this time of year lol.

24. snakehn

snakehn Member

any way to get the installation file for those of us with 2.1?

25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Yes, domestic calls are all done using Verizon service and using your minutes. Also, it only works with 3G. If you try to sign on with WiFi active, it pops up a message asking of you want to turn off WiFi (may affect other applications, it says) or exit.

I have a weak 3G signal here, so I use WiFi, but I'll try out the 3G later on today.