The story of the Eris and the washing machineGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

My wife called me yesterday morning and says she's killed her Eris.
    Firing squad or hanging I ask.
    Drowning, she replies.
    Um yeah, that'll do it...

It seems that she'd forgotten she'd put her phone in her pants pocket, she got something on her pants that would stain so she put them in the washer. When she took the pants out of the washer (the stain came out, for those of you who might wonder) she noticed the phone was in the pocket. That's when she called me. I told her to remove the back cover, take out the battery and the SD card and put everything in some rice. I can tell she had her long face on, so I ask her why she's so bummed, we have insurance, we can get another phone without too much trouble. She says she had lots of pictures on there that she didn't want to lose. I remind her that she's married to a geek and that if she'd look on her laptop she'd find a directory called 'phone backup' that's about a month old, and that I believe everything she's afraid she's lost is there. She did, it was, suddenly I'm a hero. :)
    (there are at two lessons in there folks,
    1 - back up your SD card to a computer somewhere because you never know when something icky might happen to it
    2 - back up a somebody else's phone, you too may be hero some day).

This morning I take her phone out of the rice, put in the battery and push the button - nothing, I'm not surprised. Just for fun I take the battery out of my phone and put it into hers and magic happens - her phone boots up as though a day in the washer is something it's designed for. I can see there is still some moisture under the screen, but everything appears to be working just like it should. I booted it into recovery and made a nand backup just in case she finds later that it's not working correctly and we do have to get a replacement.
    Because of the screen moisture I take it all back apart again and put it back in the rice, I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. But at this point I'm amazed at how tough this little phone is, to go through a complete wash cycle (which takes about 50 minutes on our machine) and come out of it (apparently) OK.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Gak, what a bummer. I have a collection of those moisture-sopping silicon packets just for an occasion like this.

My son's non-smartphone started working for a little while after being dried out, but then the display started flaking out. The big issue, I believe, is that minerals from the water and detergent will collect on the electronics after the water has evaporated and may cause some problems. It may be that you'll be replacing the phone after all.

I'll also plug the service (and app) SugarSync. if you are familiar with Dropbox (also great), Sugarasync is similar, though it adds some functionality that Dropbox still lacks (e.g., you can select a folder anywhere on your system to sync with Sugarsync; also, the free service allows up to 5 GB of syncing.) However, for Android there is an added feature: when you fire up the app, it will look at your photos and if it notices anything new, it will offer to upload them to your Sugarsync account in the background. If you are like me and hate cabling your phone, and do all that you can to avoid it, this is a great feature.

3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the Sugarsync mention, I'll look in to it. I do use Dropbox, but the added functionality of Sugarsync might make it more interesting to me.

I thought too late (about 3:00 this morning) that I should have had my wife soak her phone in alcohol to help displace the water, and hopefully the minerals and soap in it, before putting it in the rice. Oh well, at this point it will either be OK, or it won't. If it's not then I've got a nand and good SD backup so I can easily get her phone back to looking like it should.

4. morrica

morrica New Member

I had a very similar experience with a Bluetooth headset a month ago, so I sympathize. Easy and inexpensive to replace, fortunately. But I do electronic failure analysis for a living, so of course I opened it up and used the whole thing as a science experiment.

Doogald, your assessment is exactly correct, and mhotovec, the alcohol likely would not have helped. I did rinse the pc board with alcohol, but it was not effective enough.

As with your phone, the headset's battery failed completely almost immediately and did not ever fully recover. It only holds a small charge for a short time now after a month of drying out. The electronics appeared at first to mostly recover, after drying, although the multi-function switch never again worked correctly. It did communicate, pair with the phone, flashes the LED, handles audio in both directions, and does as well as it can without the full function of the switch. But then other things started failing. Under a microscope, you can see that the detergent didn't get washed away enough and it is corroding the surface-mounted components solder connections one by one, causing more and more connections to electrically open. I am soldering them back down as they happen, just for fun, but it will be a losing battle.

Hope you have better luck .... let me know.

5. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Hair blower worked for me.

6. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

I will throw my story in here. My wife son and I were going early Christmas shopping. As all couples do when they leave the house, do you have your phone, yes, I have mine. She is putting our son in the car seat, and I get in the drivers seat, we leave and head off to the mall. Half way there, my wife says, " I can't find my phone". One thought entered my mind, she left it on top of the car. We searched all over the back seat, in her purse, nothing.

We get back home no phone anywhere. I called the insurance company, ordered the new refurb. Turned off the phone and just thought of all the stuff on that phone, I was bummed. An hour later I had to go to the store and retraced my steps, 4 blocks from our place I see it over by the curb. I slammed on the brakes and grabbed it before some degenerate got his hands on it. It was out in front of the locale welfare apartments. I checked it out and it works great, it did have a jell case on it and that had some scratches.

The Eris has a tougher screen than the Droid X. I don't use a screen protector and I don't have a mark on it, and my friend has an X and it's only 2 months old and it has a few marks on it. Just a side note.

7. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

The Eris was bult very nice. I now have an Inc. Pretty shitting quality compared to the Eris. The HTC Merge... a Merge of the Inc and Eris perhaps? I thought so until I saw that gawd-awful keyboard.