• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the sub forums

The search facility is another problem. If you search in this forum but deselect "search in child forums" you won't see stuff in other forums. Worse, if you search in the problems forum you won't see solutions in, say, tips & tricks.

Personally I liked the flat system. It'd be really nice if when you post a new thread you had to select a "type" of post (problem, tip, accessory, root etc). That could be appended to the post somehow and then you could apply a filter if you so desired.

Upvote 0
i liked it the old way, all questions got kindly answered but with the sub forums its like some questions/threads get missed :(
It's something you must adjust to. If people actually go to the right place to view/post then there are no questions/threads that get missed. It's all up to the users to make the forum as efficient and effective as it can be :)

I concur and people still post their questions here and the mods have to move them to the appropriate section, seems like more work...

haha, you have NO IDEA. So feel sorry for us mods/guides and post in the right place ;)

*looks at Lecter and the other members with pupyy dog's eyes* preeeeetty pleeeeeease <3

I can see the usefulness of a separate rooting forum, but I agree the others just seem like a lot more work without too much benefit. People are mostly just going to post in the main section anyway and threads just have to be constantly moved. I doubt the mods particularly appreciate the job!

Like the members, the mods/guides do what was laid out for us by the admins. If you go into every popular Phone forum here, you'll notice that they all have subforums. This might be hard to believe, but the subforums WORK! If you have an issue, then you go to the 'help/support' subforum and you can easily find threads pertaining to what you're looking for. If you have an issue with your custom ROM, there's the root forum. I don't see how hard that is?

The search facility is another problem. If you search in this forum but deselect "search in child forums" you won't see stuff in other forums. Worse, if you search in the problems forum you won't see solutions in, say, tips & tricks.

If you're want the 'search in child forums' always on when you search, select 'save search preference' and when you search, the child forums will always be searched.

Yes, so even if it's a bit of a bother to go into the subforums, once you get use to it, it'll be second nature. Help us by doing the right thing!!!

I will say this, once all of the threads are moved to the proper forums, then it'll be easier to find relevent threads. But there's no point for our hard work if you, the members, don't post in the subforums.

Remember, the moderators and guides here are just members that love Android Forums and want everyone to have the best experience as possible :) Only difference is that we're given certain privildeges to make that happen.

Hopefully I have persuade you to view and post in the subforums :)

Cheers,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
Like the members, the mods/guides do what was laid out for us by the admins. If you go into every popular Phone forum here, you'll notice that they all have subforums. This might be hard to believe, but the subforums WORK! If you have an issue, then you go to the 'help/support' subforum and you can easily find threads pertaining to what you're looking for. If you have an issue with your custom ROM, there's the root forum. I don't see how hard that is?

I'm not arguing that the subforums don't work generally. I'm arguing that they don't work because most people find they have an issue, wander onto the forum, register, don't read the rules or sticky threads, don't search, and post straight into the main section. It's not that the idea doesn't work, it's that great swathes of humanity are loath to use their brains. :p

Also, people's opinions of what should go in certain subforums can differ. If, say, someone posts a thread that offers helpful advice, but also asks a few questions, does it go in the help forum or the tips forum? Or should it go in the general forum? Sometimes the lines aren't as clear cut as they seem. ;) Descriptions under the subforum headings may help clarify things for people and increase their usage. Just a brief sentence detailing the kind of threads that go there, and reminding people to search first.

Upvote 0
Should really post that in 2 threads...

People don't like doing that normally, convention goes stick everything in one thread. Besides, if (For example) you're offering advice on managing the phone memory but have a couple of questions about it, it makes sense to post them in the same thread so you have all the background to the questions available. My main point is that there's a lot of duality to things like this and it'll never run like clockwork!

Upvote 0
I'm not arguing that the subforums don't work generally. I'm arguing that they don't work because most people find they have an issue, wander onto the forum, register, don't read the rules or sticky threads, don't search, and post straight into the main section. It's not that the idea doesn't work, it's that great swathes of humanity are loath to use their brains. :p

Also, people's opinions of what should go in certain subforums can differ. If, say, someone posts a thread that offers helpful advice, but also asks a few questions, does it go in the help forum or the tips forum? Or should it go in the general forum? Sometimes the lines aren't as clear cut as they seem. ;) Descriptions under the subforum headings may help clarify things for people and increase their usage. Just a brief sentence detailing the kind of threads that go there, and reminding people to search first.

Should really post that in 2 threads...

People don't like doing that normally, convention goes stick everything in one thread. Besides, if (For example) you're offering advice on managing the phone memory but have a couple of questions about it, it makes sense to post them in the same thread so you have all the background to the questions available. My main point is that there's a lot of duality to things like this and it'll never run like clockwork!

It depends on each scenario and the judgment of the guides/mods. If the thread contains info that is a tip and another totally different question for help, it will be split and moved to the correct subforums. If as you said in your example and there's no define line between the tips and question, then it'll be based on the judgment of the guides/mods. Now if you have an issue with what one of us decide to do, you can either report the post or PM any guide/mod about your problem. We will look into it and explain to you why it was split or moved :)

Upvote 0
I can see why the sub-Forums are there, and I do try and take a look in them and post new topics in the correct place.

But personally, as is the case for many forum members, I view new posts on the main Desire screen and check subscribed forums via User CP. I'm sure I miss lots of topics that I would be interested in because they are in sub-forums.

Upvote 0
I can see why the sub-Forums are there, and I do try and take a look in them and post new topics in the correct place.

But personally, as is the case for many forum members, I view new posts on the main Desire screen and check subscribed forums via User CP. I'm sure I miss lots of topics that I would be interested in because they are in sub-forums.
Mods, Guides etc. should just provide a solution to every issue withing 10 minutes of it being posted and voil

Upvote 0
LOL! If I became a Mod I'm sure I'd have issues with that! :D

The majority of new posts tend to be from fairly junior Forum members, and they may not be fully aware of the way the Forum structure works. I think the more experienced members do have a certain obligation to look in the sub-Forums and offer advice, and that's something I try and do more often.

Well the Mods and Guides try to answer the questions/inquiery if they are able to. Just remember how big AF really is and that mods/guides have more than one forums they look after ;) We have 70 odd mods/guides and compare that to over 200,000 members that AF have. That's why we depend on our members to help out answer questions or if they see an issue, to report it :)

Upvote 0
Well, I have to say as a complete android virgin until my Desire, I have enjoyed the support I have found on this forum. I must admit until now all my questions/threads were all posted on the main page and not correct sub forums. Apologies guys. Yes I am one of those brainless numptys who didn't read all thestickied threads before my posts. being quite unfamiliar with forum protocol, I did just think I could write a question and hope someone out there would kindly offer me support. To the point where I tried to do the same when I read a thread from someone a few weeks/months behind me in desire experience.

My most recent question/problem which was moved. Again, my appologies. Has it would seem been missed, ignored, or just not been able to have been answered by all but one or two helpers. Dies this mean that no one can answer my question or that it has just been missed?

I do appreciate the need for organisation, but as no one wrote they didn't know the answer to it, I was left assuming it just had been missed. id rather be told that its not a problem anyone knows the answer to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones