• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Tablet Tavern

Just stumbled across this thread & it's definitely a welcome addition to A/F.

Anyone actually own the DROID XYBOARD, or even know of someone who owns this rare bird? :D

It's actually a nice tablet, but, more than likely stuck on ICS 4.0.4,which isn't too shabby,but, would be a long-term keeper w/JB.

Anyone w/links for development on this lonely soul of a tablet feel free to PM, post here, or in the barren desert known as the XYBOARD Forum. ;)

Upvote 0
Welcome i see you have a galaxy tab 2. How is that working out. I was never a fan of the early samsung tablets i just felt the UI wasnt up to scratch. Did they improve that with the Tab 2 as i know someone who was thinking of getting one but they had a lot of questions.

I don't have the Tab 2, but I experienced both 2nd Honeycomb genTouchWiz UI and new ICS TouchWiz UI from Samsung on my Tab plus. Personally, I actually prefer Samsung's handling of the notification bar and onscreen navigation keys as opposed to the stock version, where the entire bottom bar is dedicated to three keys only, with the top reserved for the notification bar, kinda like an oversized phone. At least with samsung, you get that few mm on the top for the rest of your homescreen, and the bottom bar isn't so bare. Plus you get a screenshot button that works inside ANY app. And yes it can be changed to various options, like appdrawer (if you want to use a different homescreen) or search.

Upvote 0
Welcome i see you have a galaxy tab 2. How is that working out. I was never a fan of the early samsung tablets i just felt the UI wasnt up to scratch. Did they improve that with the Tab 2 as i know someone who was thinking of getting one but they had a lot of questions.
It's working out pretty good for me. I do like it with ICS. One reason I purchased the Tab2 instead of a N7 was the keyboard, it was the student edition when I bought it.

Mikedt, I'll stick with the Belgium Beer, Budweiser! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Just stumbled across this thread & it's definitely a welcome addition to A/F.

Anyone actually own the DROID XYBOARD, or even know of someone who owns this rare bird? :D

It's actually a nice tablet, but, more than likely stuck on ICS 4.0.4,which isn't too shabby,but, would be a long-term keeper w/JB.

Anyone w/links for development on this lonely soul of a tablet feel free to PM, post here, or in the barren desert known as the XYBOARD Forum. ;)
I have a xoom 2 media edition wich is the Xyboard 8.2 they just have a different name for it in europe. It is a really good tablet but since it didnt sell brilliantly motorola have seem to pushed it aside. It really should get JB as its well capable but it looks like it wont. Ah well

I don't have the Tab 2, but I experienced both 2nd Honeycomb genTouchWiz UI and new ICS TouchWiz UI from Samsung on my Tab plus. Personally, I actually prefer Samsung's handling of the notification bar and onscreen navigation keys as opposed to the stock version, where the entire bottom bar is dedicated to three keys only, with the top reserved for the notification bar, kinda like an oversized phone. At least with samsung, you get that few mm on the top for the rest of your homescreen, and the bottom bar isn't so bare. Plus you get a screenshot button that works inside ANY app. And yes it can be changed to various options, like appdrawer (if you want to use a different homescreen) or search.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it was saptech that has the tab 2?

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I have a xoom 2 media edition wich is the Xyboard 8.2 they just have a different name for it in europe. It is a really good tablet but since it didnt sell brilliantly motorola have seem to pushed it aside. It really should get JB as its well capable but it looks like it wont. Ah well

Given that the OG XOOM (WI-FI only) upgrades have been frozen @ JB 4.1.1, & the XOOM2/XYBOARD line has better specs, one would think that MOTOROLA would continue to support these tablets w/upgrades, as they have yet to offer anything else in their tablet line-up since the introduction of the XOOM2/XYBOARD.

It appears all their efforts are concentrated on their phone line-up ATM, as they've recently dropped support/development of the WEBTOP/LAPDOCK program. Hopefully, they'll stay active in the tablet market & continue to support the XOOM2/XYBOARD w/upgrades,at least until they release a successor to the XOOM2/XYBOARD.
W/O any news/rumors of anything new from MOTOROLA in the tablet segment, one would think that a JB upgrade would be pending, but, the MOTO site doesn't give a hint to the future of the upgrades for these devices one way or the other.

Some JB luv from Santa would be a nice surprise on Christmas morning........ :D

Upvote 0
What do you guys use your tablet for?

I currently own a galaxy tab 10.1 rooted with 4.1. With the big buzz surrounding the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, that got me thinking about upgrading my tablet. Which got me thinking, what do I really use this for?

Really, all I do with my tablet is:
- surf the web
- watch youtube videos
- watch netflix videos
- read my kindle books
- I like games, but I'm not a hardcore gamer.
- don't use it for music either

And I feel that's about it. Everything else, I just use my phone since it's always with me.

Anybody else feel like this? Or do you see your tablet as essential as your phone?

Upvote 0
Also i like your sig by the way
And i forgot to say

Morning all all morning

Back off! I already got dibs on the rental.
picsay-1353514397.jpg

Saptech..BISTRO is cool...maybe "do they still make these" needs an upgrade....hmmm...

Upvote 0

I currently own a galaxy tab 10.1 rooted with 4.1. With the big buzz surrounding the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, that got me thinking about upgrading my tablet. Which got me thinking, what do I really use this for?

- surf the web
- watch youtube videos
- watch netflix videos
- read my kindle books

And I feel that's about it. Everything else, I just use my phone since it's always with me.
Anybody else feel like this? Or do you see your tablet as essential as your phone?

YE thats pretty much what i use my tab for. i also use it for work but it is in no way as essential as my phone but that dosnt mean you shouldnt get a new one as the better the tab you have the more possibilities. Know im convincing myself to get a new one. :mad: ;)

Upvote 0

- surf the web
- watch youtube videos
- watch netflix videos
- read my kindle books

Surf the web, bit of YouTube/Facebook and some games. Watch Breaking Bad on it and sometimes listen to a bit of music. Handy when I go on the coach down to London, as the 4 hours doesn't seem that bad then.

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded yet is that the A500 has the full sizes USB port and I've seen an app that lets you plug the tablet in to your DSLR and control it from there. Haven't bought it but, while ever I have the A500, it's a possibility.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I really get the feeling that I'm gonna jump ship soon. The A500 section on here doesn't seem to have so many active members... when I first joined, I spent all my time in the DHD section and there was always a buzz in there. There are still quite a few people in there (have been more new people recently)... think that it's quite nice to be part of a busy community... pretty sure that the N7 (or N10 for that matter) sub-forums are likely to be busy for a while to come!

Upvote 0
You and me both mate!!

Know I shouldn't, as the wife may not be impressed, but spent a bit of time looking last night :)

Its worse for me imagine the look i would get when a brand new Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 arive in the door. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. I best not play with fire. But man i would love a Nexus 7.

Here i go again i just cant stop im addicted. :D

Upvote 0
I was saying i like saptechs signaqture. "This space is for rent"

I wasnt talking about the name e.g Bistro
I see. Yes, the response in part, was a reply to your liking Saptech siggy.

The response concluded with a reply (in this group of doscussion) for Saptech, who replied to "my" post in this discussion regarding your poll of name ideas for this particular "watering hole" where the poll include e.g.Bistro as option #2

If I am mistaken, I am under the impression that this is still an open discussion e.g.. Name ideas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones