The Tombstone threadSupport

1. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Well-Known Member Contributor

I downloaded Connectbot and checked, and oh my goodness! I have a tombstone infestation! I mean LAAAAARGE files.:eek:

Would someone be so kind as to write a step-by-step instruction list as to how to get rid of these things? I am sure that many people would appreciate it greatly.

FTR, I am rooted and have Connectbot but am unfamiliar with it. It wanted me to log in, and I was unsure what to do, so I typed su in Local and it did allow me to look around, but the $was there and not the #, so I did something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Open your file browser, go to /data/tombstones long press the file and select delete. I am using Root Explorer.
    raynoldsk likes this.
  3. raynoldsk

Ah! I needed Root Explorer!

Just got back over 20mg. Thank you Mac--I wish I could thank you twice!
  4. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Welcome. ES File Explorer works too, I keep them both around because sometimes I like one more than the other.
    raynoldsk likes this.
  5. raynoldsk

Heh--I *can* thank you twice!
    MacFett likes this.
  6. TightLines

TightLines New Member

Sorry to dig up an hold post but I'm having this same problem.

I'm running CM7 on a Droid X and have a 6+gb tombstone file that is hogging all of my internal memory.

I'm able to locate the file through file explorer but when I long press the file and select delete it begins to delete the file then comes back with the message, "This file cannot be deleted."

My guess is some program is actively writing in this log but I can't figure it out.

Any help here?
    Any way to delete this file from Clockwork recovery before the phone boots up?

Any help would be great, right now I can't sync my email which is a big problem.

Thanks
  7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

benslgdroid likes this.
  8. happyboy7

happyboy7 Member

Strange, my data folder is empty!
  9. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

There's several data folders. I don't believe you can view the data folder where the tombstone files would be located unless you are rooted. Unrooted users only have access to the root directory of their SD cards.
  10. joshuamink

joshuamink New Member

not sure if you all are familiar with fastboot, but fastboot erase tombstones works as well
  11. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

I've been using Fast Reboot for months and it never deleted my tombstone files.

I use root explorer, or SdMaid.

You must be rooted to delete tombstone files.

EDIT : Sorry i thought you were talking about Fast Reboot, didn't find fastboot in playstore?
  12. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member

Question: If you reset a phone to factory default settings, does it erase the tombstones?
  13. tli

tli Well-Known Member

badblue1 likes this.
  14. tli

tli Well-Known Member

Most likely, since reset would wipe the Data partition, and tombstone files reside in /data/tombstones.