The Truth About ROM Manager

Last Updated: 2012-09-19 21:58:41
  1. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

There has been a lot of rumors, speculation, and flat out fear of ROM Manager.

This is the TRUTH about what you, as a Optimus "V" owner can do, and can't do with ROM Manager. Newest version is 5.5.3.7 (with a slight ICS theme).
    I have tested and used everything in the can do list with the Optimus "V" OS version 2.2.1 with the Novatek screen (with the exception of the "partition sd card" option which was tested by MacFett)

WARNING: THE RECOVERY IN ROM MANAGER WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE

It Would Be A Good Idea Not To Put ROM Manager on the SD Card.
    If you have Android version 2.2.2 there's a very good possibility that you have an Hitachi screen. Do not try to flash the recovery from ROM Manager if you have an Hitachi screen at this time. This recovery is not compatible with your phone. This will mess up your phone and require a PC and lots of gnashing of teeth to possibly straightened it out. This is a hardware issue,not a software issue. To determine if you have an Hitachi screen, you must have Busybox installed then go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/430626-different-gen-phones.html If using a terminal emulator make sure you type in su first.
    adb shell if using a command prompt.
    If you have the Hitachi screen then go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...ecovery-zengarden-2-0-2-7-t-01-12-2013-a.html for a recovery that's compatible with that screen.

If you flashed the recovery from ROM Manager and the phone only makes it to the LG logo, then go here: [Guide] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [Easy] [KDZ]

If you already flashed one of the two Gingerbread ROMs from ROM Manager and you got a Black Screen when booted up or just the LG logo screen then go into your recovery and restore your backup. If no backup you will need to put your SD card in your computer and download and transfer a proper ROM (and Gapps if needed). These can be found in the All Things Root Guide sticky.

Note: Once you have the proper recovery installed ROM Manager will work. You still should not try to flash/install a Gingerbread ROM as ROM Manager is not capable of wiping and formatting everything required for a clean install. It will leave residual data behind that will corrupt the ROM and eventually lead to all sorts of system glitches and force closure's.

It would be highly recommended to make sure your CPU speed is below 800MHz when attempting any of these things.I know some members really like to push the limits on the CPU speed,but a high CPU speed might be detrimental to any of the options and cause serious problems. When you are done you can set the CPU speed back to your favorite speed.

ROM Manager was designed to work with the CWMod recovery's and there variations, including the BobZohme modified CWMod recovery (VM670NH_recovery.img), and the ZenGarden recovery.
    Note: On my V with the stock ROM and the Touchscreen recovery, ROM Manager doesn't seem to recognize it as a CWMod recovery. The other two V's running custom ROM's and the same recovery don't seem to have this problem????

What You can do:

#1. Flash ClockWorkMod recovery version 3.2.0.1: The current available recovery is for the LG Optimus C LW690 and will brick your phone. DO NOT USE THIS RECOVERY!

#2. Reboot into recovery. Works with all CWMod recovery's.

#3. Using the "Install ROM from SD Card" option you can install an update or patch to an installed ROM,install a kernel(ones that's designed for the installed ROM), and install a theme. When this options is selected scroll to the zip you wish to install then select it. An "Install Queue" window will pop up( advanced mode). Select OK. When the ROM Pre-Installation window pops up check the "wipe dalvik cache" box.

If you try to install a new gingerbread ROM from ROM Manager you will leave residual data which will corrupt the ROM and eventually lead to all sorts of app and system glitches as well as force closures. ROM Manager just doesn't have the ability to wipe and format everything needed to insure a clean install with the new IHO ROM's
    If you need help to install a ROM through your recovery go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...all-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

#4. Using the "Install ROM from SD Card" option you can install a Froyo based ROM and any ICS ROM that does not require the Gapps. I have tested this with Harmonia ROM. Select the ROM zip you wish to install. (an "Install Queue" window will pop up in advanced mode, select OK) When the ROM Pre-Installation window pops up make sure you check the Wipe Data and Cache box and the wipe Dalvik Cache box.

#5. Using the "Download ROM" option. The Items here can change on a daily basis.

Featured:
    ClockworkMod: Everything works on the V.

Premium(paid version):
    bernard.schratz@gmail.com: The two ROM's in here have not been submitted by the devs, are outdated, and will give a black screen with the Hitachi screen;

Free:
    ClockworkMod: 1.Tether 2.DeskSMS 3 Link to ROM Manager Market Updates 4.ROM's, these are not ROM's but test versions of the Superuser app-Pay attention! These should only be used if you know what your doing.

Front Packs for Android 4.0: These don't seem to work for the V.

Cerberus: Old and outdated security that wants more permissions than is necessary.

SuperUser: Pay attention to what works best for your ROM.

Google Apps: The 20110828 is what you need for the Gingerbread(CM-7) ROM's. The ICS(CM-9) ROM's you will have to check the dev's site to see which one is recommended.

Redbarron2005: All these are safe to download and install
    1. Amphetamines 0.1
    2. Amphetamines. 0.2
    3. Overdrive ROM for the 2.2 OS V's
    4. Overdrive ROM for the 2.1 OS V's

New: JRummy apps from JRummy 16. These include his Busybox installer and the best free root file manager "Root Browser"

If you want, go here: [ROM] IHO GitHub Wiki (CM7 IHO Gingebread) for some up to date, everything working, can't beat em Gingerbread ROM's YOU NEED TO HAVE A WiFi CONNECTION TO DOWNLOAD AS THE 3G CONNECTION IS TO SLOW AND MIGHT ALLOW CORRUPTION OF THE NEW DOWNLOAD.

All downloaded items can be found in the clockworkmod folder on the sd card.

When you download the Gapps or Superuser app you will be asked to install additional update zips off sd card(premium version). Select no. After download you will get a ROM Pre-Installation window. Select cancel.

If downloading a Froyo based ROM or ICS ROM that doesn't require Gapps: After download is complete a ROM Pre-Installation window will pop up. If you have not backed up your current ROM uncheck the "Wipe Dalvik Cache" box and check the "Backup Existing ROM" box and select OK. If you have finished with backup or already made a backup then make sure you have the "Wipe Data and Cache" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache" boxes checked. Then when asked to "Reboot And Install" pres OK. It will install and reboot into the installed ROM.

#6. Using the "Manage and Restore Backups" option you can restore,delete,and rename a backup. When using the rename option(if you have multiple backups it makes it easier to keep track of whats,what) it will get the MD5 sum correct.

#7. Using the "Backup Current ROM" option you can backup your current ROM.

#8. Using the "Fix Permissions" option you can fix permissions if you have an app that keeps having to be forceclosed. Sometimes this works to fix the problem app,sometimes it don't. (HINT): if the misbehaving app is on the sd card then move it to the phone first and see how it behaves.

#9. Using The "Partition SD Card option": Thanks to MacFett's expert analysis he has determined the following; ROM Manager will prompt you to install ClockWorkMod recovery (regardless of it being installed or not). 512MB being the largest partition it will create. After selecting the size (and OMB for the swap) the phone reboots itself into ClockWorkMod recovery and does the partitioning there(it formats Ext3.). Once rebooted Link2SD works fine.
    For more info on Link2SD go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/695963-link2sd-tutorial-new-updated-version.html
    EDIT: MacFett has mentioned that the Ext3 is not readable by the stock ROM. You will have to check to see if it is readable with what ever custom ROM you use and let me know so I can edit this post to reflect that. Also the 512MB partition is rather small for use with Links2SD. He suggest using 1.5GB-2.0GB which is optimal,or 1GB being the smallest recommended.

These Options are in the menu: Web connect,Clear Download cache,Manual Flash Override.
    These Options are in settings: (You can check or uncheck the corresponding box) Update Notifications,Advanced Mode,Automatic Backup,Quick Backup and Restore,Erase Recovery.
    Will give more info on these options as time and understanding progress.

Menu Options:
    #1. "Web connect" still trying to figure this one out,but you might be able to download a ROM straight to your phone from your PC's browser,like the market on your PC does with apps to your phone.
    #2. "Clear Download Cache" clears the download file in the clockworkmod folder on the sd card.

Settings Options:
    #1. Update Notifications is not supported by our ROM's(pemium version)
    #2. "Advanced Mode" check this box in order to properly install the update wiper zip,ROM,and gapps.This will also allow the option in the recovery's "backup and restore" option to restore specific images(ie. boot image,system image,data image).
    #3. "Automatic Backup" Set the time and the frequency of the backup(example: 12:15 pm/every 4 days). You have to be looking at your phone as Superuser asks to allow/deny when the set time arrives the first time it backs up your ROM.It will then start the backup process. It does work. It will show up as "ScheduledBackup"-and then the date stamp. This is a good option if you like to add apps as it will save that data so you don't have to go back and download and reconfigure your updated or new apps because you had to restore with the only backup you made a week or two ago. I usually delete the old backup then rename the new.(premium version). Also might not work real well with some IHO-CM7 ROM's. Worked with the BACKside ROM for me, but not with the BobZohme ROM(Hung in boot on install of backup). It all depends on your phone.
    #4. "Quick Backup and Restore" just disables the progress bar in backup and restore which somehow speeds up the process.

These options do not currently work with the "V".
    #1. "Check for ROM Updates" The ROM's for the "V" do not support OTA updates(premium version).
    #2. "More Recoveries" section: Nothing works in this section.
    #3. "Install from QR Code". This would be a great option if any ROM's that were for the "V" had a QR code.(premium version)

EXTRA, EXTRA:
    Install method for Gingerbread ROM"s (this method will only be here as long as the download link to the update_wiper_1.3.zip is active then this method will be updated with Leslie Ann's wiper).

You have to pay for the premium version for this to work properly.

Download this obijohn's update_wiper_1.3.zip and put it on the root of the sd card. Leave it zipped.
    Download the ROM and the proper Gapps for the ROM. Keep zipped and put on the root on the sd card (not in a folder, just near the bottom of the list of folders). Leave them zipped.
    Open up ROM Manager and hit the menu key. Then select Settings and make sure the "Advanced mode box is checked.
    Select the "Install ROM from SD card" option. Navigate to the update wiper zip first (this is very important and has to be done first) and select it. An install Queue window will pop up. Select add zip. Select the ROM next. An install Queue window will pop up. Select add zip. Select the Gapps. An Install Queue window will pop up. Select OK. A ROM Pre-Installation window will pop up. Make sure the "Wipe Data and Cache" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache" boxes are checked. Select OK. A Reboot and Install window will pop up. Select OK.
    It will now boot into your recovery and install everything. Once it finishes the installations it will automatically boot into ROM. This will take 5-10 min on the initial boot.

Thanks to MacFett for his expert help and analysis on the Partitioning option, and to obijohn for his update_wiper_1.3.zip

Advertisement
  2. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Well-Known Member

Aww you beat me too it, damn my laziness..
    I too can confirm all of the "can do" options to be working fine, although I rarely use rom manager (only to download the latest gapps) all features do seem to work (with the exception of the few "can't do" features).
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  3. TheRealKTFO

TheRealKTFO Well-Known Member

Is the Premium version of Rom Manager worth paying for?
  4. AndyOpie150

Not really,But If the Dev lets me put the newest versions of the most popular ROM's for the V in the Premium section(and the Dev's of the ROM's allow it as well), then it will be.
  5. TheRealKTFO

TheRealKTFO Well-Known Member

Glad I didn't buy it then, I was thinking the paid version already had about every Rom you could think of included..
  6. AndyOpie150

I will include the differences between the free and Premium version today. Until then you can go to the market and check out the differences
  7. yogi-4

yogi-4 Well-Known Member

I agree andyopie, this should be stickied.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  8. AndyOpie150

Just EDITED to reflect the newly discovered info. Will continue to edit as info changes.
  9. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I just want to add a little info that I wasn't sure about when I sent this info to AndyOpie. When you use ROM Manager to partition your card, it partitions it Ext3, which the stock ROM is unable to read. So this option is only usable if you've flashed a ROM that does read Ext3. Also the 512meg partition is rather small for use with Link2SD, 1gb is the smallest I suggest, but 1.5gb-2gb is optimal.
    Biscuit1001 and AndyOpie150 like this.
  10. AndyOpie150

Will edit post to reflect this new info.
    MacFett likes this.
  11. AndyOpie150

EDIT: There are two ROM's that are submitted by bernard.schratz@gmail.com

These ROM's don't appear to have been submitted by the actual Developers(JerryScript had mentioned he had not submitted any work to the ROM Manager Dev. in a recent post of his).
    These ROM's were submitted instead by the individual listed in the download section without prior authorization from the Devs.
  12. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Apparently this thread needs a bump.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  13. yogi-4

yogi-4 Well-Known Member

Congrats Andy for getting your thread stickied!! This is something that is needed. :)
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  14. Petrah

w00t, grats Andy!!!!!!!!
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  15. AndyOpie150

I appreciate y'all's kind words.
    I started this thread to help new members and old alike.
    I can only hope that it will catch the eye of all those who might be contemplating using ROM Manager.
    To protect them from doing serious harm to there phone, and expose all the time saving features the app has.
  16. AndrewStrohm

AndrewStrohm New Member

I have a question for you. When I installed rom manager I flashed the clockwork recovery. Then i did try to reboot to recovery right away. It went to the android recovery. Why is the clockwork recovery not showing up? Do you know why this would happen?
  17. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

There is a possibility your bootloader is locked.
  18. Petrah

Do the newer Op V's have a locked bootloader??
  19. brotherswing

Bigsupersquid noticed that they might be. Not certain, but there's at least two users who have had trouble getting a recovery to flash in the last couple of days.
  20. AndyOpie150

Could be it didn't install the flash_image, which I do know it's supposed to.
    Could be AndrewStrom, that you need to update su app by going to the market. If you haven't installed Busybox yet, now would be the time to go to the market and download a Busybox installer. If the install fails to the /system/bin , then choose the alternate install location (/system/xbin).

When done go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
    This will help you install a recovery thats best for the IHO ROM's. It will also help you install a ROM.

Don't hesitate to ask question if you need to.
  21. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I think autocorrect got Andy here. It should be /system/sbin not shin.
  22. AndyOpie150

Thanks for catching my typo. Have changed it to xbin, as it should read.
    I noticed as I was typing it out that I typed it correctly, but the predictive text changed it.
  23. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

Just to reinforce the message Andy already posted about BACKside-IHO being put on ROM Manager by someone else, and to add my two cents:

- I cannot vouch for the validity of the files hosted on ROM Manager, since I did not place them there, nor was I asked if it would be ok to do so, nor do I have any control over what will be there in the future

- Since I did not put it there, I cannot say if it is safe to use, it very well could have malicious code

- Due to the history of ROM Manager and the Optimus V, I will never host any of my works there, and I do not recommend anyone downloading any ROM via ROM Manager without checking that the dev is the one who created it, or at least approved of it's posting to ROM Manager.

- ROM Manager is a great tool, for other phones

My New Years Resolution: stop ranting about ROM Manager ;)
    Biscuit1001 likes this.
  24. AndrewStrohm

AndrewStrohm New Member

You guys are awesome. I followed the instructions and now I am running the custom rom and I have overclocked (to a conservative 748). Now my wifi is not working. Is this normal?
  25. brotherswing

No, wifi should work fine. Which rom did you flash?