• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Truth About WireFly

Joe Eris

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Riverside CA
So there's been a lot of buzz lately about WireFly's free HTC Incredible. I did a little research and discovered some interresting contingencies WireFly has implemented, such as; If you return or exchange a phone in less than prestine condition or with more than 30 minutes of usage on it, Switch the phone to another line on your plan, Lower your monthly pricing plan, don't pay your bill on time, or do not keep your line of service for more than 6 months, WireFly will bill you for THE FULL RETAIL PRICE OF THE PHONE which if we're talking HTC Incredible is over $500.00 Also you can not take a WireFly phone into a verizon store to get a refurb (I called) and if for some reason you need to return or replace your WireFly phone you've only got 14 days to do it. IMO That's a whole lot of hoops to jump through & egg shells to walk on, but to each his own. Just thought all who are considering this should know what you're getting into :D

If you found this info helpful please click the "Thanks" in the bottom right corner

Reactions: chaos32
So there's been a lot of buzz lately about WireFly's free HTC Incredible. I did a little research and discovered some interresting contingencies WireFly has implemented, such as; If you return or exchange a phone in less than prestine condition or with more than 30 minutes of usage on it, Switch the phone to another line on your plan, Lower your monthly pricing plan, don't pay your bill on time, or do not keep your line of service for more than 6 months, WireFly will bill you for THE FULL RETAIL PRICE OF THE PHONE which if we're talking HTC Incredible is over $500.00 Also you can not take a WireFly phone into a verizon store to get a refurb (I called) and if for some reason you need to return or replace your WireFly phone you've only got 14 days to do it. IMO That's a whole lot of hoops to jump through & egg shells to walk on, but to each his own. Just thought all who are considering this should know what you're getting into :D

If you found this info helpful please click the "Thanks" in the bottom right corner

I just wanted to clear up a few things that you posted about.
1) We no longer have the 30 minute usage rule. The amount of usage on the phone is not relevant.
2) The condition of the phone is relevant in the case of you get it, use and damage it and then you contact us for a defective phone that you want to exchange. We do check...if you contact us immediately after receiving the phone and it is damaged when you get it, we will replace it and the damage is not an issue at all.
3) We do not charge the full retail price of the phone. Please refer to our website for details about our Instant Savings Discount at http://www.wirefly.com/about/purchaseterms
4) If you need to process an exchange after the first 30 days, we have a contract with the carriers and they will assist our customers with warranty exchanges and issues after the first 30 days.

You can also refer to our website for information regarding our Satisfaction Gaurantee at: http://www.wirefly.com/about/guarantee.

Please let us know if you have any other questions that we can answer for you or assist you with.
-Kim

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure they also have a stipulation that you can't change your phone for a year.

I'm not sure how strict they are though. My wife dropped her Eris in the toilet and was able to buy a refurb from Verizon. We've also made changes to the plan and have never heard anything from them.

Also: Posted in the wrong forum

Just to let you know, it is not 1 year, but 6 months. It is explained under our terms of purchase.

Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 6 months after activation. Deactivating your phone, or downgrading features or the rate plan, may lead to additional charges. To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Please note some of the reasons your wireless carrier may notify us of a deactivation include if:
  • You transfer this equipment to another carrier line of service after it is activated
  • You change your rate plan to a lower monthly service rate than was specifically required at the point of purchase
  • You deactivate texting/data features that were specifically required at the point of purchase
  • The new line of service activated with your order is used to replace a pre-existing account
Let us know if there is anything else that we can do to be of assistance to you.
-Kim

Upvote 0
I would assume then that if you used Verizons EZMove with a Wirefly phone before the 6 months were up you would then be subject to the $300 termination charges. Under EZMove generally your exisitng phone number is canceled and a new one issued, they then notify the seller that the old number is free for them to use again.

I had this exact problem with a reseller in Virginia when my kids moved to North Carolina. We got a bill for $600 for violating our contract. Verizon eventually took care of the problem but I had to call about 15 reps over a 4 day period to get one who cared enough to try and fix it and it took her about 4 days to do it. Boiled down to the reseller not gettting his money for the phones from Verizon since the numbers were canceled. I finally got Verizon to agree to pay him and he then let us out of our contract.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones