• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Truth About Your Battery

Nice one :thumbup:
Something is still waking the phone regularly, probably something like facebook syncing but yeah thats much better. Glad you found the problem so easily :)

Would Gmail do that? I wish I could tell it to check frequently during the day, but never between the hours of like 10pm and 8am or something like that. I have FB set to never updating.

Upvote 0
I had recently done a factory reset, but I must have done a tame one, because all my contacts, songs and pictures turned up. So will do another.

But before I do that, I have wiped all the possible apps from the home screens that could cause aggro. But as they are all in the app list, are they still active, or are they active only when dragged to home screens.??

How do I post GSam screenshots here, please? Got them sent to pc, but when I try to copy into the post, zilch happens.
All I have on home page is email, gmail,camera,playstore, settings and GSam.
Thats all that is in any of the screens. Power saving on---I turn off Data and WiFi off at night. Should I cut email retrieval sync times as well??
Until I understand what causes the drain, them I will keep phone bareboned, but hope I can detect fault soon, as the phone is about as exciting as a dead kipper.

Upvote 0
The icons on the homescreen are simply shortcuts to apps mate so it makes no difference whether you have them on homescreen or not, theyre still in the phone. what did you do to trigger the factory reset? Reset will only delete stuff on the internal memory. Pics, music etc on an external SD card (if you have one) wont be deleted and contacts are syncd to the cloud so theyll come back after a reset :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Here's the actual definition from Glossary | DD Systems & Dbase Developments -

Dalvik-cache

When your phone starts up, the Dalvik Virtual Machine looks at all your apps and frameworks, and creates a tree of dependencies which is stored in the dalvik-cache. This allows applications to run in an optimised state (and explains why your phone takes longer to boot up after applying a new rom, it

Upvote 0
Early, you often mention computers when you give explanations (teaching) how Android works. Reading this about how Dalvik works made me think of a computers registry.

So my question- In essence does dalvik work the same way?

No - and that's a good question because it touches closely to other things that are important here.

I'm offering the full story - or you can skip down to the TL/DR at the bottom. :)

The full story -
Virtual Machine

I mentioned that the Dalvik's full name is the Dalvik Virtual Machine.

Let's look at what a virtual machine is - simply put - that's a software computer inside of a computer.

In the PC world a famous example is a thing called Virtual Box - it's an app - install it on your PC or Mac and it emulates a PC, into which you can install another operating system.

I'm typing this on a Mac right now. I have two windows on my Mac, inside one is a full copy of Linux and inside another is a full copy of Windows XP. Both Linux and WinXP think that the Mac that they're really on is just another computer on their same network.

I'm not _emulating_ (pretending to run) Linux or Windows and I'm not dual-booting -> I'm actually running those two operating systems at the same time as Mac OS X, inside of virtual machines.

Because software believes whatever you tell it - tell it that its environment is a computer, it believes you - even if it's really a made-up computer in software.

Javascript, Java and the JVM

As you know, your browser runs Javascript - simple applets made to run on a browser. The next step up are Java programs - they run on nearly anything, just like with a browser, not caring if on Win, Mac or Linux.

But in order to run Java programs on your desktop (nearly everyone in fantasy football does this to keep track of their teams and leagues) you install the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on your PC.

The JVM isn't all general-purpose and a blank piece of paper like Virtual Box - it's a virtual machine designed to run only Java apps but on any choice of operating system.

The Dalvik Virtual Machine

You may be aware Android apps are written mostly (+90%) in Java, the rest in "native" code (C/C++).

The DVM is like a mobile JVM except - 1) runs only on an embedded Linux with Android mods to the Linux kernel (the lowest piece of software on your phone or PC - the thing that makes all the other pieces work) and 2) it can run Android-Java or native apps.

It's one of the most advanced virtual machines ever dreamed up.

What the Dalvik allows that nothing else does

Droid Den

Upvote 0
Anyway, i'll reiterate.. if you are having battery issues, check your apps! If not apps, try swapping batteries. Apps and defective batteries.....
This may be my 1st post in this forum. I want to thank you for the informative and thorough posts. I've learned a lot. What brought me here is, I recently purchased a Hyperion extended battery for 2 phones. One for a Galaxy S3 and the other for a Note 2. The S3 ext battery is awesome, whereas the Note 2 battery is the same if not worse than my stock battery in terms of battery life. I contacted Hyperion and they responded within a couple of hours. They said they will send out another ext battery for my Note 2 and for me to keep the "poor performing battery"

Again thanks for your help in helping others.

Upvote 0
I havent read much about anti virus apps causing problems......but since folks here are deep into talking about apps and processes draining their batteries......I have 2 questions about Avast Anti Virus app that I have installed on my Note 2 ( It's rooted ).

On occasion I have noticed my Avast causing my SuperUser app to trigger the need to awake my screen and ask for "grant access" to Avast AV. I havent run any tests, but Im willing to bet Avast AV running in the background may contribute to a certain amount my battery drain. The questions are......how much battery power is Avast AV using when it is running? And the other is.......is it necessary or a good idea to use an anti virus program for my android phones? If it isnt necessary, I may disable Avast and only use it when I am interested in running a scan.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for this post! Maybe a similar guide for a total Newbie would be helpful. I've already googled but couldn't find any help...

I got my Samsung phone just a few days ago and was shocked when battery goes down by 40% overnight without me having done anything to it yet...

GPS, WiFi and Data has always been off (my plan is not set up yet).

>80% is used, according to Battery, by "Android OS". I have not yet installed any apps myself.

So what is the problem here? On a fresh-from-the-factory phone, this should not be happening? Or are there some apps in the background constantly trying to connect and not finding any connection? How do I tell them to stop doing that? I cannot use any data for the next week but need to be able to rely on a phone for making calls...

Also, in the Application Manager, there are quite a few apps under "Running", do I need all of them? I did not start them myself...

A similar situation might happen when you are travelling and don't want to use Data so you don't pay for Roaming and there is no WiFi.

>>> So long story short: Say you want to use the phone ONLY for phone calls and text message... what settings will maximize your battery (and keep it from draining by 40% overnight)??

Upvote 0
I have a question for you guys since I bought the phone over two months ago it seems the battery has been just ok but today I actually tried turning mobile date off and WOW the increase in life is astonishing. With that being said here's my question are their any apps that will only allow data to selected apps? For instance I want to have mobile date off essentially but I only want whatsapp to have access to it when it needs it?

Try deep sleep battery saver, when my phone is off, it automatically turns off data.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
This is probably one of the most helpful and informative posts I've read on this forum. You've provided a great service to the community sir. Well done.

I will also add to that
I'am never so sorry that I'am reading this now and not back then
I know it's an old post but this is a great post excellent write up bro...
I only now have a much clearer understanding onto how the system uses my phone battery... This is some Awesome Shiz!!!! Big Thanks To You Bro..
Thank u earlymon :beer::D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones