• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Truth About Your Battery

went from 94 to 64 overnight, usually only lose 5% overnight

Screenshot_2012-10-25-06-52-42.PNG

Upvote 0
Mine drains 1-2% overnight on avg. with everything on, so yea... but every phone set up is a little different.

So last night with mobile data off I lost 10% over 10 hours, which is great.

So mobile data seems to be killing my batter, which is obvious. But the thing is I don't really have many apps that should be pulling data. Is there an effective way to see what is killing your phone within mobile data? Or any way to really manage this?

Thanks again for all your help.

Upvote 0
Mine drains 1-2% overnight on avg. with everything on, so yea... but every phone set up is a little different.

I misread yours the first time, you lose 1-2% TOTAL overnight? That is great. I am wondering if there is something up with my phone. When I first got it I ended up getting a new battery after a few weeks because it was draining so fast. Then my battery life was great. Now it is starting to underperform again - I wonder if it could be something with my phone.

Upvote 0
the annoying thing is how I do the exact same things with my phone everyday at the exact same times and some days it uses more juice and sometimes less.

Today, it took 3 hours to go from 100 to 90%. Usually it only takes 2.

sitting here at lunch and I'm at 78 where I'm usually at 70. I've even watched more YouTubes and video than normal. I wonder what goes on that makes it so inconsistent.

Upvote 0
ugh! So I decided to get JuiceDefender and I fully charged it and then unplugged it to test it out. So 45 minutes later, I'm down to 93% without even touching it! and JD is set to "aggressive"

so what gives?

See the various posts on why JD sucks....

I misread yours the first time, you lose 1-2% TOTAL overnight? That is great. I am wondering if there is something up with my phone. When I first got it I ended up getting a new battery after a few weeks because it was draining so fast. Then my battery life was great. Now it is starting to underperform again - I wonder if it could be something with my phone.

Sorry... 1-2% per hour.

Upvote 0
the annoying thing is how I do the exact same things with my phone everyday at the exact same times and some days it uses more juice and sometimes less.

Today, it took 3 hours to go from 100 to 90%. Usually it only takes 2.

sitting here at lunch and I'm at 78 where I'm usually at 70. I've even watched more YouTubes and video than normal. I wonder what goes on that makes it so inconsistent.

Personally, I see so much signal fluctuation when I'm sitting still. I think signal strength can be inconsistent and responsible for fluctuating drain when all else is constant.

Upvote 0
Personally, I see so much signal fluctuation when I'm sitting still. I think signal strength can be inconsistent and responsible for fluctuating drain when all else is constant.

Yeah that's probably it.
Which sucks for me since apparently my signal is also always crap as soon as I get home. I use more juice while at home on wifi than I do at work on LTE, and end up draining my battery by 8 pm.

is there any hope of signal problems being fixed from an update or am I just going to have to live with it?

Upvote 0
Yeah that's probably it.
Which sucks for me since apparently my signal is also always crap as soon as I get home. I use more juice while at home on wifi than I do at work on LTE, and end up draining my battery by 8 pm.

is there any hope of signal problems being fixed from an update or am I just going to have to live with it?

I really hope so. My signal at home is also crap. I use the phone info app to force my phone in to 3g instead of lte and it is still a crap signal compared to my wife's iPhone and my old continuum.

Upvote 0
I am making a pigs ear of inserting this image - bear with me. How do you change the size of the image?

Can anyone explain in laymans terms as to the information being displayed in respect of good/bad points?

Main Screen:

The main screen of GSam Battery Monitor provides you with time estimates, and shows the power drain of various components of your phone such as the Screen, Bluetooth, etc. You can access additional function via the Menu button, or by clicking on a row in the table with a blue > icon on the right.

Time Estimates:
Left - Average: An estimate of remaining time based on usage since the phone was unplugged. Some aspects of this may be controlled through the Power Per Percent setting in the Preferences. This setting should get better over time as the app learns more about your device. Note: The Professional and Kindle Fire editions will show an average for time spent active on devices that have no phones (or that are in 'airplane' mode). This allows a more accurate prediction of how much active use you can get out of the device.

LeftE - Last Xm: An estimate of remaining time based on the device usage over the last X minutes. The maximum X can be is controlled through the Calculate Time Left preference. X may be a small number depending on when statistics were last collected. Statistics aren't collected while the device is not in use, so if you pick up your device after extended sleep time, this number may revert back to 1 and slowly climb as you use the device again.

Left - Talk: An estimate of how much talk time is remaining. Note that this only shows up on devices with phones.
Time to Full: When charging, this represents how long it will take to fully charge the device. Charge time can vary based on charger type (USB vs A/C) and usage of the device while it's charging.

Battery Usage - X% (TIME): X shows the percent of battery consumed based on your time reference (by default since you last unplugged the phone). The TIME section shows the amount of elapsed time since the time reference (typically how long since you unplugged your phone). All statistics have been gathered since the time reference

Phone: How long have you actually spent on the phone - talk time. This is only visible on devices with a phone.

Screen: How long has the screen been on.

Phone Radio: How long has the phone had a signal. Click on this row to get more details, including how long the phone has been at various signal strengths. You can also see the amount of data transferred over your mobile network.

Battery Saving Tip: When your phone spends a long time at lower signal strengths, your battery will be consumed much faster. Consider going into Airplane mode if your in very poor quality signal areas.

Wifi Active: How long has your wifi radio been on with a signal? Click on this row to see the amount of data transferred over your wifi network. Known Issue #1: Some Froyo-based phones don't correctly report a wifi active state. Known Issue #2: When you turn on and off the Wifi radio, all data transferred stats are reset for wifi. So if you turn this on and off a lot, treat your transfer stats with a grain of salt.

Battery Saving Tip: Android is pretty efficient about not using the Wifi unless it's needed, and data transfer over wifi uses less power than over 3G. So leaving it always on isn't a bad thing - just be careful if you have a very weak signal, and it keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Held Awake: This is the amount of time that the phone appears to be sleeping (screen is off), but some application is preventing the phone from going into a deep sleep. This is one of the chief indicators of unneeded battery drain. This is similar to the 'Idle' value in the built-in battery usage, however we don't include the screen on time to help with clarity.

Battery Saving Tip: Apps should not wake your phone up out of a deep sleep. If the Held Awake time seems high to you, go into the App Sucker task, and sort by 'Time Held Awake', and 'Num Times Waking Device'. This can help you identify a misbehaving app

Bluetooth: The amount of time the Bluetooth radio is on.

App Usage: This shows the % of power used by all apps on the phone. Click on this row to go into the App Sucker task where you can view all the details.

Avg. Life: Over time, GSam Battery Monitor averages the amount of time your phone lasts on a given charge. Initially, this number will fluctuate considerably, but over time it should start to level out. You can share this number with your friends, allowing you to compare real-world phone battery life. Does your friend with the same phone get better battery life than yours? Why?

Note 1: You can reset the average value in the Preferences menu - but once you do, you'll have to re-establish your usage patterns.

Note 2: The average is calculated whenever you plug your phone in to charge. You have to have used it for a good amount of time however, or that number will be ignored. For example, if you only used your phone for 15 minutes and re-plugged it back in, GSam Battery Monitor doesn't include that time in it's averaging.

Note 3: On devices without phones, the standby time can be very large (many days). The time you're most interested in is your in-use time, and so for such devices, Avg. Life shows your in-use time rather than your overall average battery life. If you want to see the overall average, click the button and share to an application, and view the text provided - it will include both overall and in-use averages.

Upvote 0
So how come I lose so much battery overnight? The only thing that's high is cell standby and I get great reception at my house. The app that "wakes me" the most times is kernel and that's for less than a minute. What gives? It doesn't seem to matter which toggles of wi-fi/4g lte I use.

I would say bad battery but this only seems to happen when I'm NOT using my phone. It seems like my battery last longer when I'm using it.

Upvote 0
My battery was draining from 100% to 50%-45% overnight with no use at all (7-8hours). Then I did what i read in other post and it worked for me. My battery is much better now. It lasted total 24 hrs 15 mins with moderate use. And from 100% to 95%-93% over 7 hours overnight (while i was sleeping). Now i am happy!

The culprit: ALL SAMSUNG APPS:

DISABLE:

-Samsung Apps
-Samsung Backup
-Samsung Backup Provider
-Samsung Data Relay
-Samsung Push Service
-Samsung Syncadapters
* Remove my Samsung Account from Settings/Accounts and Sync

My Overall Settings:

-Power Saving...OFF
-Mobile Data...ON
-Wi-Fi...ON ()
-Sync...ON (2 mails on android mail client (auto update 15min) + 1 Gmail (app) + 1 Hotmail (app)
-Screen Brightness...AUTO
-Screen-Timeout interval...15 seconds
-Location services...OFF
-Bluetooth...OFF
-USING... Led Indicator for notificatons/Live wallpaper/facebook app update never
-REMOVE...Facebook Widget

That's my basic setup, I hope will be useful to you.

PD: Sorry about my english.

Best Regards from Per

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0
For those that has checked the restrict background data feature I have a question for you.

When you do that my understanding is that it restricts data from running in the background however it will use data when you open the actual app.

But when I have restrict background data on I can't use some apps like YouTube and plex for media streaming. So is there a way have restrict background data on and still get some of those apps working?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones