• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The truth: Why the extra fees are a rip off

And this is where mobile to mobile for free comes in. I use about 250 minutes a month because of this

I hear you there, but still, 1000 minutes on T-Mobile with unlimited texts and unlimited smartphone data is $70 per month. And people are here saying Sprint's 450 minutes for $80 per month is the hands down best deal without anyone else even coming close.

Upvote 0
I hear you there, but still, 1000 minutes on T-Mobile with unlimited texts and unlimited smartphone data is $70 per month. And people are here saying Sprint's 450 minutes for $80 per month is the hands down best deal without anyone else even coming close.

Yeah and I hear ya there. Always gonna be competitive with the top 4. Agree to disagree on everything else? Hahaha

Upvote 0
Sprint calls it a "premium data fee" so that is why the fee gets associated with data.

Also, as the first post shows, other carriers do "come close" (beat is actually more accurate) Sprint's $80 for 450 minutes price. T-Mobile actually offers unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (on smartphones) for $80 per month. For the same with only 500 minutes is $60 per month. They don't have any good phones yet though, but the price absolutely competes (and beats) Sprint's Evo plan prices.
You might want to check on the facts as published by T-Mobile.

Their Even More Plus (no Annual Contract) for Individual Talk + Text + Web is $59.99/month
Their Even More (2 year contract) for Individual Talk + Text + Web is $79.99.

Now comes the kicker... Both of these plans have unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile minutes. It does not say unlimited to any mobile carrier. I just read this from their website a few minutes ago, when looking up Individual plans.

So Sprint is better. They are now providing unlimited minutes to any mobile carrier.

Upvote 0
I think we are digressing. This thread was created to deal with the $10 extra that people are paying for the EVO.

This thread was not created to compare Sprint with T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I think we are digressing. This thread was created to deal with the $10 extra that people are paying for the EVO.

Hey you're the one who said Sprint's price was the best and nobody else even comes close. I was just putting some real numbers out there to show that yes, other carriers do come close and even beat that price.

Upvote 0
Hey you're the one who said Sprint's price was the best and nobody else even comes close. I was just putting some real numbers out there to show that yes, other carriers do come close and even beat that price.
Just in case you might not have read my complete thread. T-Mobile does not seem to offer unlimited mobile-to-mobile on any carrier. Sprint does. Yes, one can opt for a higher minutes and overcome this obstacle, but Sprint allows a person to call up someone on T-Mobile, leave the phone connection on and assuming both phones are being continuously charged, talk for 60x24x30 minutes for a 30 day month without incurring additional charges. The T-Mobile phone user, on the other hand, may have to file for bankruptcy.

And I am digressing too from the subject of this thread. Guilty as charged!

Upvote 0
Just in case you might not have read my complete thread. T-Mobile does not seem to offer unlimited mobile-to-mobile on any carrier. Sprint does. Yes, one can opt for a higher minutes and overcome this obstacle, but Sprint allows a person to call up someone on their mobile (any carrier), leave the phone connection on and assuming both phones are being continuously charged, talk for 60x24x30 minutes for a 30 day month without incurring additional charges.

And T-Mobile offers straight up unlimited service, landline or cell phone, any number, for the same price as Sprint's 450 minute plan. Just in case you missed it.

Upvote 0
Hey you're the one who said Sprint's price was the best and nobody else even comes close. I was just putting some real numbers out there to show that
Just in case you might not have read my complete thread. T-Mobile does not seem to offer unlimited mobile-to-mobile on any carrier. Sprint does. Yes, one can opt for a higher minutes and overcome this obstacle, but Sprint allows a person to call up someone on T-Mobile, leave the phone connection on and assuming both phones are being continuously charged, talk for 60x24x30 minutes for a 30 day month without incurring additional charges. The T-Mobile phone user, on the other hand, may have to file for bankruptcy.

Its ok if you don't have free mobile 2 mobile on tmo. They don't have the coverage to use it anyways lol..

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0

People don't realize that they are regulated with unlimited mobile-to-mobile on Sprint, because the person you are talking to on T-Mobile can't talk forever ..so he is going to hang up on you after a couple minutes afraid he may go over! Sprint to Sprint was already free ..so are you really getting anything with unlimited mobile-to-mobile?

I been with Sprint for 13 years, and I for one am very upset with this extra fee, since I live in the worst spot in the world for getting data ..my EVO experience is no different than my Sammy Moment experience except I pay $10 more a month for no 4G and a kick stand!!!:mad:

Upvote 0
And T-Mobile offers straight up unlimited service, landline or cell phone, any number, for the same price as Sprint's 450 minute plan. Just in case you missed it.

True but only if you do the no contract. On a contract the unlimited is 99.99 at T-mobile. That actually makes no sense to me. Why is the plan cheaper off contract? 20$ cheaper per plan it seems. I mean you have to buy the phones outright somi guess t-mobile makes you pay full price for phones but just spread out the payments on a monthly contact price.. Hmm seems a bit fishy and rip offy to me. Lol I need sleep

Upvote 0
But you still are using the phone? How about this, if you do not like the fee, do not pay it. Do not get the phone, it is as simple as thing.

Wow !You're a genius! Master of the obvious congratulations! :rolleyes:
Guess what?I'm not using the phone because I buy the phone because I think paying 120.00.. more a year for something I don't get us crazy. But then I'm mot a genius so maybe I'm missing something. Wait the fee isn't for 4g it's for the privilege to use a 4g phone that doesn't get 4g, any where near me, and it removes a cap from your unlimited data plan. Again CRAZY!!! Drink Koolaid much?

This "premium service" should be an option until their "premium service" is more widely available.

Upvote 0
Guess what?I'm not using the phone because I buy the phone because I think paying 120.00.. more a year for something I don't get us crazy. But then I'm mot a genius so maybe I'm missing something. Wait the fee isn't for 4g it's for the privilege to use a 4g phone that doesn't get 4g, any where near me, and it removes a cap from your unlimited data plan. Again CRAZY!!! Drink Koolaid much?

This "premium service" should be an option until their "premium service" is more widely available.
Come on y'all at least be civil.

Upvote 0
I HAD AT$Ts' 450 minute plan and had to add on the 1500 messaging plan and I will be paying less with Sprint and get the added benefit of unlimited messaging and 4G when it rolls out to my area later this year.

Sprint is a better deal than AT$T and very definitely Verizon. T mobile may have better pricing but they also have a network that is not as extensive as Sprint.

Upvote 0
The price hike is also for Snapdragon users and front-camera users and HDMI-out users. Regardless, the point is that it doesn't matter. If the slight savings from getting a N1 on Tmo outweigh the benefits of an EVO on Sprint, get one. Whining about the price isn't going to change anything. If enough people take their business elsewhere Sprint will reconsider the fee. Otherwise, they won't care one bit about griping on forums.

I think it stands to reason that if people are bitching about it then a good percentage of them are also not buying into it. Also businesses do care about griping don't kid yourself.

Upvote 0

Fair enough, but one can't help but look at the options on other carriers do determine the feasibility of paying $10/mo extra, for 4G service, which you may or may not enjoy, despite being in in a 4G area per the Sprint coverage map. I think the Sprint/T-Mobile comparison is fair, given T-Mo is putting up similar to greater DL speeds, for $30/mo. "less" than Sprint...YMMV.

Upvote 0

This thread was not created to co

Fair enough, but one can't help but look at the options on other carriers do determine the feasibility of paying $10/mo extra, for 4G service, which you may or may not enjoy, despite being in in a 4G area per the Sprint coverage map. I think the Sprint/T-Mobile comparison is fair, given T-Mo is putting up similar to greater DL speeds, for $30/mo. "less" than Sprint...YMMV.

I hardly think it would be a fair comparision.... first off, the tmo 3g coverage area is about to be smaller than sprints 4g coverage area....

And if you hit the tmo website you'd be surprised to see how many areas have no service at all... not even roaming... :eek:

Upvote 0
I hardly think it would be a fair comparision.... first off, the tmo 3g coverage area is about to be smaller than sprints 4g coverage area....

And if you hit the tmo website you'd be surprised to see how many areas have no service at all... not even roaming... :eek:

But like Sprint, T-Mo is in the process of expanding their coverage area, as well as upgrading those coverage areas to 3G. If someone has both Sprint 4G and T-Mo 3G coverage in their area(s), then its a relevant comparison, again primarily because the data rates are the similar, and currently the fastest on the market. It seems to me that one of the OP's major issues is the cost of paying for a service which is may not be available in their area, and if it is, may not produce results significantly greater than 3G...which some people are reporting.

Upvote 0
crazy is complaining about a fee and STILL buying the phone and paying same said fee.

It's simple economics. If people wouldn't buy the phone because of the fee, then Sprint would've done away withi it. Since the EVO sold extremely well even with people knowing that they had to pay the fee, it is a good bet that Sprint will keep the fee.

Upvote 0

And i

But like Sprint, T-Mo is in the process of expanding their coverage area, as well as upgrading those coverage areas to 3G. If someone has both Sprint 4G and T-Mo 3G coverage in their area(s), then its a relevant comparison, again primarily because the data rates are the similar, and currently the fastest on the market. It seems to me that one of the OP's major issues is the cost of paying for a service which is may not be available in their area, and if it is, may not produce results significantly greater than 3G...which some people are reporting.

Yeah I get that. Makes sense. Buy why complain about a fee? Its like saying, "hey, I bought this badass ferrari, but it doesn't get 40mpg? Wtf?" Even though the mpg is posted right on the window....

Upvote 0
Yeah I get that. Makes sense. Buy why complain about a fee? Its like saying, "hey, I bought this badass ferrari, but it doesn't get 40mpg? Wtf?" Even though the mpg is posted right on the window....

Meh...Sprint has to pay for that 4G build out somehow, so I can understand. I can also understand the OP, given that I currently have both AT&T and T-Mo, and recently left Verizon. I too was surprised about the extra $10 for 4G access, when I'm getting similar speeds for the same $10. I'm not surprised about the inconsistent 4G experience for a given user...hope it gets better.

As far as the math, people have to do what's best financially, and from a service perspective. There will always be some that may not find value at certain price points, where others will. Like I said, I'd have a hard time paying $40/mo for 6 - 10Mbs on Sprint when I can get 7 - 21Mbs for $10 on T-Mo...however having the right device can help make that decision.

Reactions: leaddog
Upvote 0
Yeah I get that. Makes sense. Buy why complain about a fee? Its like saying, "hey, I bought this badass ferrari, but it doesn't get 40mpg? Wtf?" Even

Meh...Sprint has to pay for that 4G build out somehow, so I can understand. I can also understand the OP, given that I currently have both AT&T and T-Mo, and recently left Verizon. I too was surprised about the extra $10 for 4G access, when I'm getting similar speeds for the same $10. I'm not surprised about the inconsistent 4G experience for a given user...hope it gets better.

As far as the math, people have to do what's best financially, and from a service perspective. There will always be some that may not find value at certain price points, where others will. Like I said, I'd have a hard time paying $40/mo for 6 - 10Mbs on Sprint when I can get 7 - 21Mbs for $10 on T-Mo...however having the right device can help make that decision.

Let's get one thing straight here... tmos hspa+ averages the same as wimax... average is key here. Not to mention 4G networks are more future proof than the hspa+ alternative. Not mention mention isn't hspa+ launched in only 1 or 2 cities vs wimax's 30+?

Upvote 0
Let's get one thing straight here... tmos hspa+ averages the same as wimax... average is key here. Not to mention 4G networks are more future proof than the hspa+ alternative. Not mention mention isn't hspa+ launched in only 1 or 2 cities vs wimax's 30+?

Ok....but as of today, similar speeds can be had on both networks (6-7Mbs) as I don't believe there are any 21Mbs "phones" out yet, at least in the states. T-Mo has 7Mbs running in a lot of city's...I've personally exp. from DC up thru Philly, with the rest of the build-out slated to be live this year. Point is if both carriers are available in a given market, its only logical to compare data plans, especially when there is such a big price difference.

From a carrier's perspective, the 4G fee it justified. From a consumer's perspective, there are options.

FWIW, I was paying $30/mo for 500 min. and $10 for data on a "no-contract" plan. I added Skype out for $3/mo. which bought me unlimited calling to the US PSTN, using my cell phone # as callerID...Skype in would run me another $10-$12/mo., so I effectively had unlimited voice and 7Mb data for $55/mo. Will that soution work for everyone? Probably not, but again its something to consider for some people. I could forgo Skype altogether, use my Vonage account via SIP client, and be back down to $40/mo "total", but that's a different story.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones