The Vibrant's signal indicator is completely useless.

Last Updated:

1. kbohip

kbohip Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just get off the phone with a friend and I notice that the phone is miraculously showing full bars. I'm in the basement no less where it usually shows zero bars. After checking I now see it's showing zero bars again! I've never seen any phone with this much of a swing in the signal meter. To me, it's become almost humorous to watch it go from 4 to 0 then back again all in 10 seconds time. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, I hope Samsung fixes this problem in a future update as well. If no one else is having this problem I may exchange this phone for a new one.

Advertisement
  2. michael800

michael800 Member

I've noticed that too with my phone as well. Whenever I'm using it the bars always go up and down when I'm not even moving locations. I wish there was fix for it.

Trapuhhloic likes this.
  3. Veritas327

Veritas327 Member

The phone, like most smart phones, has a decrease in signal when you cover the antenna. Cover the back-bottom of your phone with you hand (like the now infamous death-grip from Apple), and you will see a dramatic drop in bars.

That being said, I have never dropped a call so I am currently not too worried about what the bars actually display.

4. phatlipboardz

phatlipboardz Member

Another vote for observing the erratic bars display, but I've also not dropped a call or been unable to send a text or download data.

Trapuhhloic likes this.
  5. kcs7272

kcs7272 Well-Known Member

This is true. I just switched from the Droid X to the Vibrant but I have noticed the Vibrant will lose all bars if I get even remotely near the bottom of the phone but my X did not.

The true signal can be found in your settings and it does fluctuate with the antenna being obstructed or even touched. I must say even with no bars and a truly bad signal reading I HAVE NOT DROPPED A CALL.

Also if you are having issues with data as I was just set your networks to home only and you will get better 3g. I also set mine to 2g networks only and I get better reception and to be honest T-mobile edge is pretty fast.

I am going to get a case because this phone is so thin and a fingerprint magnet. I hope this helps with the "death grip" also I believe a good firmware update will fix a lot of issues.

By the way the screen is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

6. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

It seems like you guys don't follow the Vibrant release that carefully from day one. This is old news and has already been beaten to death by everyone on various blogs and forums, it is also considered a non issue since calls are not dropped.

If you followed tmonews.com the first few days of release, every vibrant phone shows incorrect bars and irradic behavior. Most people have zero bars including myself, but we are able to complete phone calls and use the internet. Again this is old news, and since the vibrant does not drop the calls with zero bars, this frenzy has died, and a proper alogorithm for the bars will probably be released in a future update.

The only major up-roar right now is the GPS problem, which appears unlike the singal bar, to be a real problem since actual navigation is affected.

7. kbohip

Actually, I have had problems with a dropped call or two at my house. My old Moto never had this problem. I've also had problems calling my wife while she's at home. There have been 3 occasions now that I've called her and her phone (also a Vibrant) has gone straight to voicemail presumably because of a poor signal. Don't assume that since you have no problem with zero bars and missed calls other people aren't having problems. Also, pardon me for not checking every news article and forum on the internet before making a post in the Vibrant forum about a problem the Vibrant has.:rolleyes:

8. SamsungVibrant

Sorry, I didn't mean anything rude, I just assumed everyone by now knew the zero bars was a non-issue on the phone. I live up in the hills, two blocks behind me litterly has zero t-mobile coverage, it is completely gray on their coverage map. My phone shows zero bars almost always, but like others have confirmed, it never drops calls. At least not yet.

If you are having droped calls, call t-mobile, maybe everything is not provisioned correctly. Also are you using a new sim card or did you just transfer over your old one? Try activating the new sim card that came with the phone instead.

Hope your droped call problem gets better, but keep in mind the alogrithm on the signal bars is not correct, so you can't really go by the number of bars you are getting.

9. kbohip

I am using an old SIM card. I might follow your advice and try the new one that came with the phone. As for coverage in Colorado Springs, the worst coverage area I've found in town happens to be right in the area where the T-Mobile call center is located, so I doubt they'll care to fix the problems by my house.:)

10. SamsungVibrant

How about another loop, did you notice your vibrant can't produce any whites? Everything is blue tinted. Put it next to another smartphone with a normal LCD, open the browser on both, do you notice the vibrant is tinted blue?

11. Yat

Yat Member

I found that my phone has always 0-1 bars..
    But when i pick up the call..the sound is clear...
    I think it is not accurate at all.

12. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

My Sim card is 6 1/2 years old and works fine. Doubt that is the problem , but dont hurt to try.

13. Trapuhhloic

Trapuhhloic New Member

yeah having the same problem, but even though it has zero bars i can still call and use the web fine..