The Weather Channel - NotificationsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to turn off the weather notifications in this app? We have been having a crappy snowstorm all day, and I keep getting the notification no matter how many times I clear it. It just keeps coming back every few minutes or so. And every time it comes back, it makes a notification sound and stays in my notification bar up top... also, it happens to be my text message sound, so it's driving me crazy.

The only option in the settings is for Units of Measure (C

Advertisement
  2. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

I don't know about these things, but look up the app in the market and email the developer. He always responds to emails regarding questions and updates.

3. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

I have found no way to do this either. Annoying. I keep getting alerts for river flooding that never happens.

4. droid-dohrk

droid-dohrk Well-Known Member

Remove the widget, then re-add the widget. This time, click on the Audio Alert and select ringtone Silent if you don't want to hear the beep. Or you can uncheck the Display Severe Weather icon on the notification bar and that still top putting the red (!) on the notification bar and it won't beep. I did that as I was tired of it too. It will still put a red ! on the widget icon on the screen so you can see there is an alert if you want to check it.

5. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome, thank you so much!! That is exactly what I wanted :D

6. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

deleted; can't find the Remove/Delete button... where is it?

7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you have set a home city, go into the root of The Weather Channel app, where you have all of your defined cities - I think it is called "My Places", it has a large button at the top that says "Add a place". Long-press on your home city and select "unset as home".

8. mmarceau

mmarceau New Member

Thank you doogald! That was driving me crazy. I have enough crap showing up in the notification bar, didn't need a constant reminder of the temperature.

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Wow, that was a year ago!

10. Earthling789

Earthling789 Member

It is not necessary to uninstall the app, and then re-install. The controls for Alert sound and vibration control are in the widget's config screen when you load the widget onto the desktop.

Settings include:
    Setting Location Nickname (Home, Soccer Fields, Work, School, etc.)
    Unit of Measure (F/C)
    Severe Weather Alert Levels
    Alert Tone
    Vibration (on/off)

Just drag the widget to the trash-can and pop-in a new one... change the settings to your new preferences and you're all set.

If you want the Temp Icon in the task-bar, long-press over one of your saved locations (from the locations tab on the main app) and "set as home", this will activate / deactivate the alert notification and temp in icon in the task-bar.

I hope this helps someone... it took me hours to figure it out :)

bberryhill0 likes this.