The worst timing for the silent bug...everGeneral

Last Updated:

1. reinert012

reinert012 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, like most of you I have the infamous silent bug. Usually i don't mind when this occurs but this time it REALLY happened in a bad time.

I was doing a phone interview with a company where I am trying to get an internship at this summer, and low and behold there are 4 people on the phone talking and interviewing me and BOOM! silent.

Had to reset my phone and call back, so embarrassing. But i explained the situation with the silent bug and they understood, but nonetheless horribly embarrassing.

About to leave for the Verizon store and demand a new phone on spot. Ill keep yall posted.

Advertisement
  2. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

this silent bug is really starting to take hold!

3. davros

davros Well-Known Member

Mt phone is silent right now I am not going to reboot it till I go to verizon or my wife is convinced its really not something I did.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

4. slatonyam

slatonyam Active Member

I know the feeling reinert012 mine happened when I was talking with my boss. He thought I hung up on him. I called Verizon that same day and explained the silent bug and they sent me out a new one. I got it this past Friday and so far so good.

5. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Understood about "the silent bug" ? Yeah... As far as they're concerned, the call got dropped. It's not a "silent bug" to them.

6. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

BigDaddyFromCincinnati Well-Known Member

The OTA is full of problems I can't stand right now and this is one of them. 1.5 to me was so much more stable. I honestly had 0 problems with my Eris until the OTA.

7. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

I've never experienced it thank goodness.

8. reinert012

Well i went to 2 Verizon stores and all i got was a bunch of crap about "HTC Is aware of the issue"

So i called customer service and they made me do *228 and hit 2 to update the roaming or some crap.

So i am going to wait for it to happen again and call back, hopefully get a new or DIFFERENT phone that works.

Keep yall updated.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I have been very fortunate to have no problems since I've owned my Eris. I had what I thought may be the silent bug this morning but I think it was just a bad connection. The phone didn't freeze up or go completely silent. The call just started to sound like I was under water and the person on the other end said that it sounded like we were talking on two way radios. Sounded like the line went dead as soon as I finished talking. I told her to call me back and everything was back to normal.

10. alprazolam

*228? You have GOT to be kidding me! You need to call them back and demand a new phone be sent out.

11. reinert012

I know i know, but i played nice and was mature about it on the phone even though i know it didnt do anything.

My phone just got the bug again, so im going to call and say im going to AT&T if they dont give me a new phone, and im not kidding, im pertty fed up with these "we are aware of the issues" statements and not getting updates for months. Today was the last straw for me after that important call i got froze in the OP i put.

I am going to ask for a completely different phone since it seems to be a hardware issue rather than a software one..please correct me if I am wrong.

Stay tuned for more later.

12. zerovertex

zerovertex Well-Known Member

I completely understand... "If you wouldn't load all those apps on it, you would have those problems." That's what I hear.... I feel your pain.

13. davros

davros Well-Known Member

Lol yep almost to the word ..... I'm gonna see if we can go to verizon in the am. Our family plan is in her name so I can't do anything with out her. I might see if they will replace it with a droid with some extra $$ kinda sick of the bs with this phone. Or I'll root the replacement. I like the phone just not the bs.

14. alprazolam

Most people have had a replacement sent out to them with no problems as long as they told the CSR that they did a factory reset and the problem is still occurring with no apps installed. I have a feeling that a lot of leakers did this and they may be cracking down a bit. Still, I'd call rather than go in. There is almost no proving to be done on your part when you do this.

15. EKhatch

EKhatch Well-Known Member

For those trying to get a new phone what is that going to solve? Won't the new phone have 2.1 on it or have to update to it after it's activated? Just curious because if this happens to me I want to know what the options are and if people getting a new phone are still having this issue.

Thanks

16. davros

davros Well-Known Member

So my replacement phone is on its way. Not to stoked but if I can't find a cheapish droid I'll root the replacement.

17. alprazolam

Got mine last Wednesday and it had 1.5 on it. I rooted it right away. I feel like I own a different phone. Even Google thinks so, because I got a welcome to the Nexus One email.

18. reinert012

Awesome, i am definitely going to root mine. Did you just follow the stickies in the root subforum?

Also, how is the battery life affected by your over clocking..if you are doing that?

19. slatonyam

slatonyam Active Member

I got the Nexus One email also.

EKhatch, I got a new one but I had other problems besides the silent bug with my phone. My phone shipped with 1.5 and I got the update message and updated, but I rooted my phone also. So far I have had no issues with my phone (knocks on wood) and my battery life has improved drastically. So there seems to be some defects in some the phones and maybe not the others. BTW I got my replacement on Friday.

20. reinert012

What did you do exactly to improve the battery life on the rooted phone?

21. slatonyam

slatonyam Active Member

I don't know exactly what happened, but I haven't charged the battery since friday night and it is still half full. I have talked on it and even texted. I am a heavy texter. I am surprised myself, I am not sure if it is rooting the device that did it or if my first phone was a piece of crap.

22. reinert012

Interesting, i can't wait to root!

23. slatonyam

slatonyam Active Member

I have to admit I was really impressed. I am using the Evil Eris rom and I have live wallpapers with sense on and that is why I am surprised at my battery.

24. BigE420

BigE420 Member

I had the silent big as well and i got a replacement sent and started using it saturday and have not had the bug since... (crossing fingers)

25. vertig0730

vertig0730 Well-Known Member

There is one constant theme that comes from anyone who I have seen saying they have rooted their phone.

"I just works better" That has got to be the closest thing to an HTC fail I can think of.

By the way, my Eris works better too. Thanks Ivan.