• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The X is one tough phone!

nynvolt

Android Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010
SoCal
I had my DX in my back pocket, naked, when I received a txt. I was walking quickly through a rough asphalt parking lot and somehow the DX flew from my finger tips as if I flung it purposely. It landed, seriously, like five or six feet in front of me, glass side down. It bounced a few times, then skittered across the pavement before coming to rest. I was horrified and almost scared to pick it up.

It lit up and upon detailed inspection I found the glass had been untouched...miraculously. There is an aluminum or other metal bezel that surrounds the glass, it had contact cuts and dings on all four corners but the glass completely in tact and unscratched.

I hate that I dropped and marred the edges of my phone but got to hand it to motorola, nice job.

Now I know that there is a great deal of luck involved here, so your experiences may differ but that extra heft felt from the phone, the metal used, really saved the day. I'd hate to see what happens to a samsung galaxy S when it meets pavement for the first time. Those are feather weight.

was running when my came out of my pocket, bounced off the street and I kicked it. It went about 15 yards down the sidewalk. Got to it and it only had a few scratches on the sides and corners. Latter found that the headphone jack was damaged but, hey, show me an iPhone that can do this. I was sitting down once and reached in my pocket to grab my iPod touch and it slipped out (i know butterfingers). It fell maybe about 2 feet at most. When it hit the tile floor the glass shattered out of the thing. Last encounter I have had with Apple.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I am extremely hard on phones and I am very lucky to have a phone last more than 4 months. I even found out that asurian (sp?) will only let you claim 2 phones a year.

This X is a beast! Still with the original phone from launch day with no problems. Its been naked since. First week I had it I tossed it from the bathroom to my bed, 10 feet or so, like I have done with all phones in the past. For some reason the X decided to grow wings and fly. It bounced off the bed, hit the wall hard and then skidded across the hardwood floor. Not a scratch on it. Needless to say I don't "toss" the phone anymore.

The worse damage has happen similar as the OP. Same damage edges around the display are scratched and ding up really bad. But the screen is still spotless.

I have also had a full glass of coke and a full glass of tea knocked over onto my phone and no issues at all. Passing my daughter over the table. That doesn't happen anymore either.

I am very impressed with the X construction. It is a well built phone and Moto has me won in this area. It handles the abuse better than any phone I have had.

Upvote 0
When I first got my DX I had no idea it had a Gorilla Glass screen. I went through about 3 different screen protectors trying to find that 'perfect' balance. Then I was posting about how I'd heard the 'Defy' had a Gorilla Glass screen and I mentioned I hoped that became a trend, and that Moto would start using it in future devices as well. Then someone posted that Moto had been using Gorilla Glass since the D1.

I was elated! So happy was I that I ripped the 'Skinomi' screen protector off of my DX within 60 seconds of reading that post! Naked screens are ssoooo much nicer that one's with even the best protectors, IMO.

Oh and I had an experience just days after getting my DX in the mail. I hadn't gotten a screen protector or a case on it yet and while taking it out of my pocket it went flying, face down (why is that always the case???) across the cement patio. And when I say flying, I mean it was like I'd gotten mad and thrown it! Oh I was so scared to pick it up... as well as furious with myself for not having it protected! But upon inspection all the carnage was limited to a tiny dent in the top left hand corner of the body, the screen was completely unscathed. I had figured I had just gotten EXTREMELY lucky!

Once I found out the screen was Gorilla Glass, it all made sense.

Upvote 0
I had my DX in my back pocket, naked, when I received a txt. I was walking quickly through a rough asphalt parking lot and somehow the DX flew from my finger tips as if I flung it purposely. It landed, seriously, like five or six feet in front of me, glass side down. It bounced a few times, then skittered across the pavement before coming to rest. I was horrified and almost scared to pick it up.

It lit up and upon detailed inspection I found the glass had been untouched...miraculously. There is an aluminum or other metal bezel that surrounds the glass, it had contact cuts and dings on all four corners but the glass completely in tact and unscratched.

I hate that I dropped and marred the edges of my phone but got to hand it to motorola, nice job.

Now I know that there is a great deal of luck involved here, so your experiences may differ but that extra heft felt from the phone, the metal used, really saved the day. I'd hate to see what happens to a samsung galaxy S when it meets pavement for the first time. Those are feather weight.

I was walking in the mall and did almost the same exact thing, only not on gravel/concrete. The only diference is it was my first day with my otterbox defender case. My phone bounced like a basketball when it hit the ground haha, but was completely fine.

Upvote 0
I have one dent after dropping it multiple times from my lap onto asphalt. It also only has I think two scuffs on that rubbery part of the phone. The dent isn't bad. Upper left corner on the top, about the size of the headphone jack... Maybe. This phone has lasted longer than any other phone I've had. I hated motorola at first too because their dumb phone build quality is s**t.

Upvote 0
I've dropped my X so many times, many times face first too. I used to cringe but not anymore. Like most of yall, the phone is scratched up on the corners bad. Its the only way you can tell I dropped it.

So many face plants... I can see 3 scratches and 2 nicks. Really, my screen shoulda cracked at least 2-3 times by now.

At this point...I want the screen to crack just to say "its about time!!" to my phone...lol

Upvote 0

Attachments

• mot4-drodx-20.jpg
    mot4-drodx-20.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: ahaddad
Upvote 0
Mine is naked and I dropped it several times without any damage. I have a habit of putting the phone on a shelf in walk-in closet when i am getting clothes. The shelf is at least 6 feet high and my floor is marble tile. 3 times it slid off the shelf and fell to the floor. Each time it landed flush on it's face with absolutely no damage. Great build quality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones