• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thee Official Captivate First Impressions

So I had a Nexus One briefly before, so this isn't the first Android phone I have laid my hands upon. My hands and the Nexus One's touchscreen were severly incompatible. Especially when trying to use it one-handed.

So just based on touchscreen sensor alone, I like this so much better. Compared to iPhone 4, I appreciate the proximity sensor actually shutting off the screen when I am on a phone call :p. This is the first day, so have to work with it some more to know for sure. Can't forget to mention the screen looking great of course. Even for pentile matrix ;). I forgot to use it when the sun was out, whoops. With it being so slim it really doesn't feel too big. The overall length is similar to my old 3GS in a case, so no biggy.

Had a problem with wireless staying connected earlier, but rebooting my router seems to have fixed that issue. Wish the USB was mini instead of micro, I have a lot more mini cables. Things could be smoother, but really it is not bad at all. I have two Exchange accounts syncing with the default clients and everything seems to be syncing ok. Just one little recurring reminder seems to be missing, but it is so old I think it just might be incompatible (pre-outlook timezone stamping). I had been meaning to recreate that one anyway. Contact syncing seems to have worked really well besides that so far. Alright that's it for now.

Upvote 0
My VERY First Thought:

Dang it, my screen is smudged because the AT&T worker touched it with his thumb like 1000 times.

Anyways, when I saw it I was actually a bit surprised by the size of the screen and the size of the phone itself. Right when I saw the screen my eyes light up, why? well because the screen was the bright! When I saw the previews online I thought it was a bit smaller, but then I thought, Hey this phone feels GREAT in my hand. I really don't feel the cheap feel of this phone because I think the texture of the back is GREAT! Now I was pretty worried because I couldn't connect to WiFi or 3G at first but after a quick reset of the phone I connected to both just fine. It took forever to lock onto the phones location but once I enabled Network/WiFi it connected to my address within 5 seconds. The phone felt really smooth, and a bit snappy, but I in general just enjoyed Touchwiz! BTW, the camera is actually really good. It captures those photos you would like to take when you just don't have a camera pretty well.

On the other hand- I had a couple of dislikes that really don't make a big deal but I just felt like saying. Well the first of these minor problems is the reception. I seem to have 2-3 bars on a usual basis, sometime 4 at most. Although this doesn't seem to affect the reception AT ALL so I am quite happy, I just don't like seeing no bars on my reception stair looking things. One big thing of mine is side loading apps. I really don't like the fact of side loading apps and I told myself I won't root the phone until my warranty is truly over. The last thing that kind of annoys me is the ease that the device seems to get smudged/scratched. I tried to keep my phone in great condition until I get my screen protector... but I already have some minor scratches.

Yes I know those minor things were just because I am picky and a bit paranoid.

In General I wouldn't trade this phone in for ANY other phone out because it has a great screen, it is really fast, and there aren't any big problems with this phone.

Upvote 0
:) First impressions, wow that screen is nice. I keep watching you tube videos on it just to see how nice it is. I've never really used and Android device before but I'm liking this so far.

:( The GPS seems broken like people say. Google maps thinks I'm sitting in front of my neighbors house and says the accuracy is within 100 meters. On my e71 it was pretty much dead on. But I figure that will get fixed pretty quick. I doubt that Samsung launched a flagship phone for pretty much every cell phone carrier on earth and are going to let it flounder. I tried doing the cold start fix that someone mentioned on here and it didn't seem to do much.

:thinking: The software keyboard is taking some getting used to. I'm liking Swype so far.

Upvote 0
After a days usage, I can comment a little more:

*This is one sexy phone. Probably as close you can get to being iPhone-like aesthetic wise, and definitely the best usage of plastic I've seen in a phone.

*The display is gorgeous. Very bright and the colors really pop out.

*The antenna is very finicky. I don't like it. I avoided the iPhone because of the reception issues, and while this appears to be less of an issue as compared with the iPhone 4, it's still hampering my experience. This could be related to my location, which is out in the middle of nowhere. I'm seeing anywhere from 5 bars to 1.

*Some reports say this phone is laggy. I have not experienced any real slow down except maybe a delayed response when trying to move apps around on the home screen. Browsing is a mixed bag for me. Some times it's quick as a whip...sometimes it's like the whip man's reflexes are a little slower.

*5.1 sound on the headphones is amazing.

* Texting feels really good on this phone. It's iPhone like (I keep comparing, I know), but even better with the bit of force feedback after you strike a key. This is how I prefer texting.

* I have not had wifi issues so far.

Upvote 0
I'm so torn with this phone. I really like the hummingbird and the 4" screen, but I don't want touchwiz, and I'm not going to buy a new phone without LED flash and a FF camera. Guess I'll just keep waiting...

The TouchWiz is almost a non-issue because there are launcher replacements such as: launcherpro, openhome,adw, and many others. Plus root and flashing a ROM fixes this too.

As far as led flash and an ffc, if you want a galaxy phone with these, then sprint is going to have a phone with these features, but with a slide-out and less ROM.

Upvote 0
The TouchWiz is almost a non-issue because there are launcher replacements such as: launcherpro, openhome,adw, and many others. Plus root and flashing a ROM fixes this too.

As far as led flash and an ffc, if you want a galaxy phone with these, then sprint is going to have a phone with these features, but with a slide-out and less ROM.
I was wondering if I could flash stock froyo on this thing. I'm stuck with ATT- I'm on a family plan and only pay $40 a month for my phone with unlimtied data, text, mms, etc. I can't get any cheaper on any other carrier.

Upvote 0
Warm is just that, slightly warm to the touch I guess is the best way to describe it. But it definately doesnt get overly warm or hot, Stays alot cooler than my iphone did thats for sure.
The battery widget (BatteryLife) does extended info in the settings. You can have it show the phone's temperature.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if I could flash stock froyo on this thing. I'm stuck with ATT- I'm on a family plan and only pay $40 a month for my phone with unlimtied data, text, mms, etc. I can't get any cheaper on any other carrier.

Sure you can. Not yet, as no (or very few) ROMS have been developed for the phone, but considering the Galaxy S, in one incarnation or another, has been released on every major carrier in the world, I suspect it wouldn't take too long.

Upvote 0
Sure you can. Not yet, as no (or very few) ROMS have been developed for the phone, but considering the Galaxy S, in one incarnation or another, has been released on every major carrier in the world, I suspect it wouldn't take too long.
now that would be pretty awesome. FF camera is sort of a must- my wife is still hooked on the iphone and will want to video chat with me. we could both use fring if I have an android device, but I still need a FF cam.

Upvote 0
I have been using my Captivate for the past day. Nice

+screen is fantastic
+phone feels great, also its the perfect size (not to big, screen doesn't feel cramped
+when the phone is stock (no root), its pretty customizable. One of the first things I did was replace the launcer with Launcher.Pro. Very very nice
+camera quality is between decent and very good

-soft buttons have a mind of their own sometimes
-moments of lag (adding widgets, etc.)

This is my first Android phone. I came from Windows Mobile. The number of applications in the market is overwhelming. :D

Upvote 0
First impressions (coming after 10 months of misery with an LG Xenon).

Screen ++++++++++++++++ (The main reason to chose this phone over any other)

UI+ (Touchwiz 3.0 is not half bad, LauncherPro Beta is better)

Freedom+ (No more having the GPS locked down to AT&T Navigator only)

Build Quality+ (Very sleek and sexy, little touches of class everywhere (like that metal battery cover with a Embossed Galaxy S), the best looking Galaxy S design as far as I can tell by comparing it to screen shots and the Vibrant floor model.

Hackability+ (I am not going to do anything yet, but I am glad that the potential is there)

Applications+ (The market is great and growing, a bit too much samey apps around, but the quality of a lot of the free ones is great)

Price- (I wish it was a $100 cheaper so that I could get two and me and my son could each have one).

Upvote 0
You could just buy it from walmart for free with a new 2 year contract or a 2 year contract renewal

But then I would have to get a primary voice plan that runs at least $50 month + FCC fees. Being a second line on a family plan, I pay $10/month for my line on the Nation 550 voice plan with shared rollover minutes that three of us never exceed. The savings of buying an $275 early upgrade over the period of next two years while keeping my cheaper voice plan instead of switching to an individual line are substantial. If I could upgrade the second and third lines for $100 each with this phone, I'd have gotten two phones, but no one is doing that right now, especially not an early upgrade.

Upvote 0
+ the screen is great
+app killer, since I have the cheapest data plan I need to be in control of what's running in the background.
+I can customize just about everything
+google maps
+ camera quality

-little laggy when scrolling between home screens
-softkeys turn off after 5 seconds, therefore I cant see them in the dark and press the wrong one, if I dont press the wrong one I have to press it twice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones