• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root THEME: What is a .pro file

Just curious about something as a workaround for what LG did. Would it be possible to replace the stock apks that LG made the .png's into .pro files with apks from an AOSP build of Froyo where the png's are still .png's. That would allow for custom theming of the stock apps like I was able to do on my Incredible.

For instance, I could take the mms.apk from an AOSP build, theme it and then create a flsahable update.zip file that will replace the mms.apk that LG provided.

I might actually try this before anyone repsonds, but it was something I thought might be possible as a way to theme stock apps and wanted to get some opinions.

Upvote 0
Just curious about something as a workaround for what LG did. Would it be possible to replace the stock apks that LG made the .png's into .pro files with apks from an AOSP build of Froyo where the png's are still .png's. That would allow for custom theming of the stock apps like I was able to do on my Incredible.

For instance, I could take the mms.apk from an AOSP build, theme it and then create a flsahable update.zip file that will replace the mms.apk that LG provided.

I might actually try this before anyone repsonds, but it was something I thought might be possible as a way to theme stock apps and wanted to get some opinions.

Thats pretty cool. Hope it works

Upvote 0

I believe AOSP mms.apk works on 2.2.1 Save yourself a world of hurt by testing it before you theme it. You wont need to make a flashable zip to test, just push it in

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I do everything via flashable zips because I don't understand the whole adb stuff. I just find it easier to add it to an update.zip file and flash it via recovery.

Also, it's not just the mms i'm curious about. I'd like to be able to theme other apks as well. On my Incredible, i'm running an AOSP ROM and i've themed just about every apk. Not major changes, but small ones (color changes, a few icon changes, etc.) to match the look of my overall theme I created in the framework-res file. I'm using this same theme on my Ally, but have been unable to make changes to the apk's like I did on the Incredible. That's where the idea came from for using the apks from that AOSP ROM. Still haven't had a chance to test it yet though. Been busy with other stuff so far tonight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones