• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Themed ROM] NexFro 1.0.1 - Android 2.2 FRF57 (WIFI FIXED)

Thanks for deciding the name!

• NexFro

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • NexCream

Votes: 22 16.5%

• Total voters
Fab...first off, very nice ROM, well done.

It seems really odd that I should be saying this (since nothing works for me, right? :)), but WiFi works...I loaded the CW Stock Fonts nandroid.

Chrome-to-phone works too...cool, even if my current need for it is pretty limited.

I think I've figured out one important (for me) issue on getting a 2.2 ROM to run - NEVER, EVER REBOOT! I think I've found that if I don't reboot, things are great, once I've rebooted it goes to heck and I can't ever recover.

My pattern has been load the ROM, load all apps, accounts, settings, home screens, etc., and then nandroid so I can save things in the perfect state. However, as soon as the nandroid finishes and the phone reboots things begin to go wrong. Restoring the nandroid doesn't help, as that requires a reboot.

No idea yet why this is, and I'll have to test more, but I was perfect for about four hours yesterday until I decided to nandroid what was a perfectly running setup, was perfect earlier today after a couple of hours and then did the nandroid, and previous 2.2 ROMs the same as well, IRRC.

Really nice ROM, BTW, Fab. :)

This means, of course, that I can't use Recovery to make any nandroids, try different kernels, etc., as any of those tasks require a reboot. But it does seem like I'll be able to use 2.2 (at least for now) as long as I don't run into anything that requires a battery pull or reboot.

Weird...if anyone knows what may be happening when I restart to mess things up, appreciate any advice.

Temporarily very happy. :D

Upvote 0
Ok tried intalling a new ROM from ROM Manager to see if I could get anywhere and I tried installing BB 1.1 which I had before I went to Fabs Nex ROM. I went to backup and wipe and it went to reboot into recovery mode after download. It rebooted and bypassed recovery mode and went straight to the OS.

So now even more preplexed and have no idea what to do next.

Upvote 0
Hey Fab...any idea why the notification pull down is solid black and not transparent? I didn't realize how much I loved the transparency until it wasn't there.

Wish I knew too. That is on my to-do list. I'm using the exact same image! I think Froyo is interpreting it differently/

Unable to install Nexfro 1.0. I keep getting a MD5 mismatch using cw.

I have the 6 items unzipped to \clockworkmod\backup\NexFroFontsCW_1.0

(I took them out of the nested folder with the date)

Anyone with an idea?

I don't think you should mess with the folder. Not quite sure though, since I've never done that. It may play a part in the md5 calculation?

The link to the cm install with new fonts taKes me to a page saying deleted file. Anyone else? Could be cause im on my phone right now and its just acting wonky..
HTML:

Please try again, anyone who is having issues with the CW w/ fonts. I had to reupload it since the first one got corrupted in the upload process.

Ok tried intalling a new ROM from ROM Manager to see if I could get anywhere and I tried installing BB 1.1 which I had before I went to Fabs Nex ROM. I went to backup and wipe and it went to reboot into recovery mode after download. It rebooted and bypassed recovery mode and went straight to the OS.

If ROM manager messes up your recovery, try flashing between SP and CW a couple of times. This is a known issue right now w/ the app.

Upvote 0

I had the same problem, re-flashed each in ROM manager a few times, no good.
Tried OMJs fix, http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/94420-fix-i-cant-boot-into-recovery.html
Tried flashing in terminal emulator, the same, no good.
But the GScript Lite way worked for me. I'm back to recovery mode.
Hope it works for you too.

Upvote 0
Fab - I think someone already asked this, but do you need to wipe if you're currently running the previous version of NexFro?

Make sure you have a backup.

You can advanced restore any of these files and make sure it doesn't overwrite your data partition. In theory, that should keep all your settings, and just change the system files.

Upvote 0
Hey Fab, been using your nexthemes forever on BB 1
1 but just never commented..
Couldn't imagine using without it. I've been trying to get used to this build of froyo..its great except flash boggs done the browser. To get some nice browsing you gotta kick up the overclocking and then these kernels drain the battery in no time flat. I know none of this is your fault... just can't wait until something comes out with the speed of BB 1.1 with your theme and the battery life Chevy's lv kernels had except on froyo so you can make it beautiful lol

Upvote 0
Hey Fab, been using your nexthemes forever on BBC but just never commented..
Couldn't imagine using without it. I've been trying to get used to this build of froyo..its great except flash boggs done the browser. To get some nice browsing you gotta kick up the overclocking and then these kernels drain the battery in no time flat. I know none of this is your fault... just can't wait until something comes out with the speed of BB 1.1 with your theme and the battery life Chevy's lv kernels had except on froyo so you can make it beautiful lol

You can set flash to "on demand" instead of "always". Problem solved.

Upvote 0
For those having problems with wifi I think I have figured it out. The first time I upgraded to nexfro my wifi did the whole scanning thing so I restored my backup. I then notice that my wifi was already on when I restarted. So I turned it off and reinstalled nexfro and what do you know wifi works. So try making sure that wifi is turned off before you flash. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Been playing with it for the past hour or so (CW flash + text) everything is running smooth and great! The only thing that occurred was that I mounted the USB and it wouldn't dismount after, but I think it was just a freak thing because I was trying to reflash CW for the overclock at the sametime and I guess it like wigged out.

Awesome ROM.

On a side note, another thing I dislike is the icon for the alarm, would prefer a non-red one if possible (on the lock screen), but yeah minor.

Upvote 0
I haven't even tried using the 2.1 mms on this. I'm afraid it may screw up interaction with other apps. You're more than free to try :D

If you do, make a nandroid first, and please let me know how it goes!
Alright, i'd try it if I knew how :p Also no calendar app on this build? Is that normal or am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Alright, i'd try it if I knew how :p Also no calendar app on this build? Is that normal or am I missing something?

There should be a Calendar App - Corp Calendar and Calendar got merged.

Great Fab ;)

Question. Which OC kernels can I use with FRF57?

The P3 Kernels in the First Post work - I guess there are others too but the P3's definitely work.

Upvote 0
I haven't even tried using the 2.1 mms on this. I'm afraid it may screw up interaction with other apps. You're more than free to try :D

If you do, make a nandroid first, and please let me know how it goes!

I tried the Mms frm Nexbeast 1.1 and it force closes if you try to change the font size and when you try to create a text. So I went to Handcent app.

Upvote 0

I'm pretty sure I included it! And even the corpcal too...

Is anyone else missing a Calendar?

Great Fab ;)

Question. Which OC kernels can I use with FRF57?

Think all the ones in the OP will still work. Make a backup first!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones