Theory re: that flag engraved on the back

Last Updated:

1. Tricky

Tricky New Member This Topic's Starter

In the terms of service document, it mentions an additional $90 restocking fee if the device has been engraved with a personal message. Perhaps that QR code can be customized? I somehow doubt every device is shipping with that code for some stupid holiday memory game engraved on it.

Anyone wanna argue with me?

Advertisement
  2. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Interesting. Now my question would be why even have that code in the back at all. If as the article states is true that its leads to a game that only the Nexus can play, how does one scan the code from the same phone. So unless you have another Nexus phone to scan and play it doesn't make sense to me.

TS

3. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

I awlays thought the QR code on the back was to identify which specific phone was being shown.

4. Tricky

1. Having a code that only other Android phones can read (for now?) could promote some sense of brand-based comradery among owners. I know that marketers have a word for this but I slept through all of my marketing classes.

2. As mentioned in that article about the QR code, the code resolves to android.com/holiday but can only be visited from another N1 or a browser with a spoofed UA string.

5. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

Throwing privacy out the window...

I dont see why the QR code cant be imprinted with your name phone number email address.

Unless the scanning up is fast its pretty stupid to use for info exchange as its easier to just jot it down. But on paper...why not ?

6. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

If you look at engadget's copy of "said" pricing plan of nexus one, it shows an option that the phone can have custom engraving.(?)

7. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

QR code is just a serial for the device, it can't be customized. They made it big like that so they can recognize it in pictures and basically track your every movement. Oh yeah, they don't need to do that cause we give them all that info voluntarily.

8. Tricky

Of the units given out, the codes all pointed to the same site, no unique serials.

9. wonderbread

That's quite an eyesore just to link to google.com/phone

10. choffy21

choffy21 Well-Known Member

Imagine having someone scan the back of your phone to get taken to your website/eCard. Potentially great concept if it gains enough steam.

11. wonderbread

Agreed

12. Tricky