There be blizzard comming

1. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Many on the east coast (myself included) are facing a serious snow storm, some in the New England area are going to be pounded. I hope everyone here stays safe and warm. Many of us were hit hard by Sandy not long ago (yours truly), so this storm brings an extra load of anxiety. Stay of the roads, post on your favorite Android site instead....here too! :p

Wish you ALL well!!

Advertisement
    :
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Good luck to all of you. Mother nature has sure been pissed at yall for something this winter! :rolleyes:
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

My heart goes out to you (I live in Nebraska.. it doesn't rhyme with Alaska for nothing :D).

My first thoughts when we have an actual prediction of such a storm have to do with power backup generator and fresh water supply bottles, along with food of course.

Check on your neighbors!
  4. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

Stay safe and warm, pastafarian. I don't envy you one bit. I HATE cold weather and am so grateful to be back home in California--where my fellow natives think 65 is cold. :rolleyes: I tell them, yeah, subtract SIXTY DEGREES and then we'll talk. :p
  5. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

we're due for another foot or two here as well. we're well stocked with coal for the stove, water for drinking and cooking, and pots out for snow for flushin :) We're entirely too well versed for snow.
  6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

We're only slated for about a foot, which isn't too bad. It's those winds that make everything tough :(
  7. Spec2nirvash

Spec2nirvash VIP Member VIP Member

We're slated for 24" or so here in Boston area :D Be safe, my east coast people! Do your shopping now, the bread and milk sheeple are cleaning the stores out as we speak!
  8. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

We're only slated for 8-14" but the 12-24" line keeps creeping closer. My parents are due to fly out Sat. AM from Albany, I'm staying the night at their place so I can give them a ride to the airport in the Subaru, if the flight isn't cancelled.

If I don't have to play taxi, I'll certainly be out having fun driving.
  9. jhawkkw

^^
    Got to love having a Subaru in this kind of weather :D. So glad I just got an Impreza.
  10. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Stay safe Pasta and all the other East coast members in the path of the weather.
  11. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Looks like the upper midwest is getting hit pretty bad too. The storm's all over the news this morning. Best of luck to all of you folks. We're only getting rain here in the District.
    I think after snowmaggedon in 2010/11, we're not "due" for a big storm for a while. ;)
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I'm in the 16-24 range, with the caveat that some locations will get 30+ inches. So long as I have power I'll try to post any interesting pics.
  13. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Where's the snow?
  14. Unforgiven

It's coming. I'm in Douglas and it's expected around noon.
  15. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

It's snowing in NYC. Snow amounts seem to be climbing and rain amounts decreasing.
  16. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

We're expecting snow-related chaos here in the UK, too: 2 inches of snow is due over the week-end. The country will shut down.

You may foolishly assume that, just because we get an inch or two of snow every couple of years we'd be able to deal with it, but trust me: we can't. Last month we had 4" of snow and 4,000 schools shut down. Including those in towns where there was barely any snow at all and pupils could have walked to class - we know they could, because they walked miles to parks where they could play on their sleds.
  17. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

That be's the troof! On my way to work on the LIRR now, we've already got the heat inductive trains on the tracks melting and blowing away snow from the rails. My only concern is getting home tonight. I'd rather not get stuck in my office lol.
  18. Unforgiven

That's not limited to the UK, happens in places in the US where snow is rare. Here every house has 2-3 snow shovels, most have snow blowers, and there is a pickup truck in every third driveway. And that doesn't include the municipal snow removal tools and sanders. Places that aren't accustomed to that don't have the infrastructure it's tough to ramp up.
  19. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

We haven't had much snow here in CO this year, but almost everyone has an SUV or 4WD of some sort. I have one myself but don't subscribe to the "I can do anything since I have a 4WD" I just happen to live on top of a very steep hill.

We will probably get hit in late April or May.
  20. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Well-Known Member

As much as I love the east coast, the weather can be horrible! But let's see what happens in the Hartford area.
  21. jhawkkw

It's so true. People tend to think that they're invincible with AWD/4WD, but they're not. It might help you get going, but stopping still comes down to rubber tires on a friction reduced surface.
  22. huh

huh Well-Known Member

It's here!!! and all the schools are closed and everything is pretty much shut down...
    SNOW DAY SNOW DAY SNOW DAY!!!..even though I am an adult and I don't go to school...
    I'm still kinda self imposed snowed in! ....and a kid at heart :)

...I LOVE SNOW DAYS!!!!!!
  23. Unforgiven

Yeah, the kid in me loves seeing the snowfall, the adult in me doesn't look forward to the cleanup or potential power outages.:rolleyes:
  24. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

We got more white stuff coming tonight, as if we haven't got enough of it already. And Inner Mongolia or Neimenggu doesn't rhythm with Alaska or Nebraska.
  25. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

We are so used to power outages. We have a coal stove with a cooktop and plenty of water on hand. Devices are all charged up and batteries for flashlights. No one goes anywhere in this mess!