1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

There is a catch with todays 2.2 vibrant galaxy s update

1. xxxsteveoxxx

xxxsteveoxxx Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. adelmundo

adelmundo Well-Known Member

Well now that it truly is official for T-Mo, I hope they follow suit real soon from Sprint and the other carriers or people will be bitching about why T-Mo can do it first in the US and everyone else is still lagging.

And I wouldn't mind doing the official via Kies as well if it will get it out to us a lot faster.
  3. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Going through kies doesn't tie up the network. The ones really clamoring for it won't have an issue using kies to get it before OTA. And who cares about mac users? They are even more of a minority. Let them find a windows box or wait till ota. Either way, that aspect isn't really 'news worthy'. The Europeans can use kies so what's the big deal?
  4. More song and dance from our friends at Samsung! Bring on the Horse and Ponies!
  5. cruiser771

cruiser771 Well-Known Member

I honestly prefer a kies update, waiting for your ota notification can be grueling
  6. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

an update is an update whether its via kies or OTA. At least T-Mobile was open about their communication and got it out on the date promised. There really isn't any "catch" because Vibrant users now have an official froyo release while we're still stuck with Sprint's cryptic "ASAP" and "soon" garbage
  7. irish98

irish98 New Member

To be fair, T-Mo only announced the date the day before they released it....
  8. belushi

belushi Member

9. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

I agree in principle. I think there should be an officially supported tool such as Kies to allow users to pull down updates and load them without waiting for OTA. IIRC, there are special mini Kies applications available for the Vibrant, Captivate and Fascinate, and international I9000 users have a larger Kies utility available that also performs other functions. But there is no such officially supported utility for the Epic.

Never used any of these other Kies versions myself, but I have read reviews by techie users who find it klunky. However, the principle is a good one.

BTW, there is no reason why both a Kies pull and an OTA push cannot both be employed.
  10. dbpaddler

It was a joke howdy ;) but, in reality, mac users are probablity about as much of a minority as you'll get for android users. I bet the ratio of iphone users on windows to android users on mac is extremely lopsided. Not hating, just pointing out that they will cater to the majority, and the minority can wait for the ota push or find a windows machine for the 15 minutes it takes to update.
  11. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

I think you're overlooking the overwhelming number of professional mac users: people in music, film and graphic production who don't make smug comments on forums but quietly use macs because their jobs and studies demand it. I use a laptop with windows and linux partitions when I'm traveling, but at home and in studios, a mac is most compatible with music and film clients. In Germany or the UK, clients' needs might be very different.

Ironically, I much prefer linux to any other OS, but windows can be incredibly geek-friendly once you stop letting it boss you into running unnecessary tasks. Nothing on the mac beats EAC and foobar for ripping and listening to your music collection. Running Logic, Live, ProTools and Komplete is a different matter. It's my job.

Point: Pro mac users are as likely as anyone to want to avoid owning an iPhone or being branded generally. You have to be humble to know how clueless certain loud mac consumers are and still use one yourself for technical work.

youncester likes this.
  12. dbpaddler

Not slighting macusers in the least. But it's still a numbers game. The MS to Mac sales are what, 30-40 to 1 if not a bit more? Pulling that out of thin air for the sake of argument. Now take the ratio of android users to other phones for macusers. I don't really care if certain groups of users are better represented than others. The numbers are going to be heavily weighted toward MS users. So they get catered to first, plain and simple.
  13. Flaspeneer

First, perhaps, but not solely. Otherwise, google wouldn't bother writing software for each iteration of osx (or linux).
  14. dbpaddler

Never said soley.
  15. Flaspeneer

Never said you had.
  16. dbpaddler

well it just seemed implied ;)

And why are our post boxes so big for one liners?

ahhh....because my sig is just long.....haha.