There is no such thing as GPS problems with this phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. Unlicensed Dremel

Unlicensed Dremel Member This Topic's Starter

I know this because under the "Advanced Search" feature of this software, seaching the Captivate forums, searching subject lines only, NONE of these 4 searches come up with a single result:

-gps
    -GPS
    -gps*
    -GPS*

Oh happy day! Try it yourself; you'll see!

Seriously, two questions:

1. Since the search feature doesn't work... What's the deal with GPS problems generally here / what's the consensus, in a brief nutshell? Are these problems limited to Captivate, or all Galaxys? Link to a basic basic description of the alleged issue(s) with the GPS hardware/software? Thanks.

2. (if anyone knows / of minor importance) Why does the advanced search feature on this software, used by thousands upon thousands of forums, having been worked on and improved for years now, still suck beyond all comprehensible belief? Why would it give me an inaccurate result? Mind you, it did NOT say "your search string is too short" - it said "no results match". You'll note that the search feature is horrible with this software on all forums that use it; not just this one.

Thank you for your time and consideration of these matters.

Advertisement
  2. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

All Galaxy S phones have the issue with the exception of the Epic from Sprint and that is a big, maybe since I've seen them complain about it as well. Samsung said they would produce a fix by end of September but in true Samsung fashion, no one knows how it will be delivered or what exactly will this fix contain. Given that September is only a week away and in the past we start to see movement from other vendors prior to an actual update, I say Samsung is going to miss this deadline.

As for Froyo (Android 2.2), details have been sketchy. The EU version of the Galaxy S is supposed to get it by September 23rd, let's see how that pans out in the next couple of days. Last but not least, there are plenty of GPS threads on this forum, you'll run into a new one at least once a week or update threads that end up turning into GPS flame wars.

3. jabooh1

jabooh1 Well-Known Member

I agree the search function of the forum sucks. I search for GPS but get no results however I can see many threads with GPS in the title.

This is why we get so many posts of the same thing.

4. Gonzo46307

Gonzo46307 New Member

Many forums require minimum number of characters in order to do a search...3 characters is probably too small. I typed in "Captivate GPS" (in quotes) and it worked fine.

5. iploya

iploya Well-Known Member

Ironically, when you try to post a new thread, there is some sort of internal search function that instantly finds all sorts of relevant threads based on words used in your proposed Title...oddly, this automatic/hidden search functionality isn't available to the "Search" function.

If I want to search something, I go thru the motions of creating a new thread, and seeing what similar results pop up once I type a title.

Big Dog KMc likes this.
  6. fivebraids

fivebraids New Member

Why not just use the "site:" option in a google search window?

Easier than starting a thread, or relying on the crappy search function of the forum software.

Here, give it a try:

Let me google that for you

7. mui

mui Member

Yup, I believe the Epic also has a GPS problem.

8. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

holy shit.. EVERYONE! I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE

I AM FROM THE FLIPPIN FUTURE!

9. ShannonPricePhoto

ShannonPricePhoto Active Member

I almost didnt buy this phone due to all the GPS complaints on here... i must say it works FLAWLESSLY! better than my iphone did...

10. mui

mui Member

Have you taken it for a drive yet? That's usually where the problem really shows. Mine locks fairly well at first, but when I drive, navi jumps around a few times.

Try also Google's My Tracks to record your drive and check how well it holds on the road.

11. ShannonPricePhoto

oh yea.... its right on track and in town it warns me of upcoming turn in an appropriate distance. i use my griffin window seat modified from an iphone and i get 16-32 feet accuracy with the gps tester app.

12. whorider

whorider Member

Please test (and post) tracks from My Tracks to verify actual GPS performance

13. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

This has always worried me: So many people say their gps works great.

This seems to indicate a hardware problem (read: unfixable) with some batches but not all. The software is the same (there is no variability in software I presume) but hardware manufacturing processes could have screwed up some phones and not others.

To avoid a recall, I assume Samsung could be working on some software way to compensate somehow for the malfunctioning hardware and cope with it, but not totally alleviate the problem.

14. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% on the concern of a hardware issue. I do not get how 1 person can say it works "perfectly" but others, including myself cant get a lock to save my life....expect every random day in perfect weather.

Makes no sense.

15. ShannonPricePhoto

how do you do a screen shot on the captivate? im going to try that tracking app someone listed above...

16. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

My phone simply won't lock if there is any kind of cloud cover outside. It also struggles inside of a car (locking and positioning) if it isn't right under the windshield.

If I have a lock with it in a car and I have the phone anywhere away from the windshield it'll have me jumping all over the place going road to road and sometimes facing the wrong direction (and barking out humorous directions (make a U-Turn!!! as I'm cruising at 75 mph down the highway). Kind of hard to use in a car by yourself if you don't have a special mount. My Tomtom works with no issues inside the car. I hate plunger mounts anyway - they always seems to come crashing down.

Despite the near-useless GPS I still love the phone :).

17. lordhamster

lordhamster Well-Known Member

These are generally also the same people who claim AGPS is somehow worse than regular gps. :rolleyes:

18. ShannonPricePhoto

[​IMG]

this was in car... with the griffin window seat mount for the iphone.. i had it so it was infront of the rear view mirror so it wasnt totally visible to the sky like having it on the dash....
    it locked on in my driveway in less than 10 seconds. was overcast no clear blue sky.

hell it even showed that i changed lanes.. you can kinda see it right by the 78... went form right lane to the left... lol.... seems just fine to me.

19. whorider

whorider Member

Interesting

20. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member

Shannon, could you do the following procedure to verify what your GPS settings are? Im sure all settings are the same as the rest of ours but it would be good to know it.

Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security. Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#*

This will get you into the settings menu for your GPS, if you would just go in every menu and verify your settings and post that would be great. I just cant see how a software problem would cause such a great difference in results.

21. ShannonPricePhoto

Lbs TestMode
    blah blah blah...
    Accuracy 10 meters
    Number of sats = 11

session type= tracking
    test modes = S/W test
    operation Mode = standalone
    start mode = hot start
    GPS Plus = ON
    Dynamic accuracy = ON
    Accuracy = 50
    Use SkyHook = Off
    Use PC tool = Off

Server FQDN Type= Custon Config
    Server : spirent-lcs.com
    Server Port = 7275
    SUPL Secure Socket = ON
    AGPS Mode = SUPL

22. ShannonPricePhoto

here are screenies...
    on the map... there was a lady getting out of her car and i moved over and you can CLEARLY see it on the map too... GPS on this phone is AMAZING!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. ShannonPricePhoto

oh and this was done with out that update... just sayin... i still havent tried the update.

24. pac0naut

pac0naut Well-Known Member

I think the update disables getting into GPS settings. That code didn't work for mine. No root, just stock, updated to jch7

25. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

I had to download an app called 'BetterCut' in order to get back into the GPS settings. It basically lets you put an icon directly to it on your desktop.