• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

There's a WHITE one

Would this be grandfathered into the $25 plan that I am currently on? Or would I have to get the black one to keep my 25$ plan?

There is one guy at Slickdeals and one person at this forum just bought the phone and report that they had success swapping the phone while keeping $25 plan. YMMV and you should proceed with caution though.

the phone is on sale for $50 at best buy, and better yet, it is available online for that cheap price (for now)

Virgin Mobile - LG Optimus Elite Mobile Phone - Black - Optimus Elite elite&cp=1&lp=1

Upvote 0
Just bought it for $49.99 @ BestBuy and I love the phone. Swapped it over my $25 plan and I can confirm there is no change, it will keep the grandfather plan. :)

how's the data issue with the phone. better or the same? (i noticed you posted in the data speed thread as well)

i think im going to return my black one today and try again with a white one to see if its any better. otherwise i might have to ditch the Elite.

Upvote 0
how's the data issue with the phone. better or the same? (i noticed you posted in the data speed thread as well)

i think im going to return my black one today and try again with a white one to see if its any better. otherwise i might have to ditch the Elite.

It's not the color, it's a hit and miss with the batch of Elites that were produced. A white one may be better, but not because it is white. I would try a different vendor if yours was bad, like if you went to BestBuy I would try Radio Shack or something different.

Upvote 0

My data very rarely ever drops below 3G in my city let alone whenever I leave, in fact I have perfect service nearly all the time with it, so with personal experience I say the data is working top notch.

From what I can tell latest "models" are connecting better as I see those who just purchased the Elite seem to have great data speeds, but then again I could be wrong.

Just as added support though I've ran multiple network diagnostics and I had monitors running for about a week and saw a high steady dBm.

Upvote 0
It's not the color, it's a hit and miss with the batch of Elites that were produced. A white one may be better, but not because it is white. I would try a different vendor if yours was bad, like if you went to BestBuy I would try Radio Shack or something different.

uh yeah. i didnt actually think that the color had anything to do with the issue... thanks though.

Upvote 0
My new white elite started with 104 errors not 5 minutes after activation and same as my other 3 it over heats and reboots when on 3g.

I hate to say it, but perhaps the OEs have it out for you - in the two Elites I've owned, I've only experienced the 104 Errors twice, but simply turning 3G back on solved the problem and I never had a problem since (ie: bad signal was likely the culprit), and as 3G is an enormous power hog it will inevitably overheat the Elite after a long enough period of time (and if this is the case, the reboots are a direct result of this as a safety precaution). That's just how 3G seems to be. :(

Upvote 0
I hate to say it, but perhaps the OEs have it out for you - in the two Elites I've owned, I've only experienced the 104 Errors twice, but simply turning 3G back on solved the problem and I never had a problem since (ie: bad signal was likely the culprit), and as 3G is an enormous power hog it will inevitably overheat the Elite after a long enough period of time (and if this is the case, the reboots are a direct result of this as a safety precaution). That's just how 3G seems to be. :(

Wonder if this is due to the overclocking?

Upvote 0
Wonder if this is due to the overclocking?

No, or at least it shouldn't be. As I said, I've only had the errors twice, and they were both when I had too low of signal (in house, 1 bar). Simply toggling it again I could proceed with no issue. This was back from when I first got my first elite back in July, all the way up to now - before overclocking, and after overclocking. The overheating seems to be a problem regardless of whether or not it is overclocked, simply because 3G is very power hungry and takes a lot of CPU power because 3G is fairly primitive. 4G actually would/should perform much better if we had it available.

Another factor in this is that 3G isn't actual 3G all of the time, as it goes all the way down to 1X without ever showing up, and oscillates between everything 3G and below frequently, which also attributes to the resource-eating, overheating, and battery draining. I only use 3G for Google Maps whenever I need it, and aside from the two times where I had almost no signal I've never had a problem - went over two hours many times without a reboot issue, though the phone did get very hot every time (no matter what other type of wireless/mobile network I use, such as wifi or bluetooth, and/or regardless of any game I throw at it, I cannot get the OE to overheat to an even remotely close temperature that it gets to when just using 3G after an hour or two).

tl;dr It's a 3G thing, and always will be because it is, after all, 3G. Use it sparringly (and I'm not sure there's a good enough reason I can think of, aside from commuting on a bus or train, where you would need 3G active all of the time outside of using something like Google Maps - but I'm sure someone has a good reason for it). Wifi is always preferable, both in speed and because it does not have the issues (which includes the overheating) 3G does, ever.

Reactions: AnciusD
Upvote 0
Thanks, I thought I read in some early review that the Elite was overclocked out of the box. Can't remember where, but found this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=26443850

re: the 3G/1X, I wonder why Optimus V owners haven't complained as much - or did they?

Also Amazon has now price matched the Best Buy price on the OE, but only the black one.

The processor should be 800MHz by default, but it comes overclocked out of the box to a maximum of 1GHz, instead of 800MHz. We here have managed to raise that limit to 1.6GHz - double what the intended speed was supposed to be - while it still being stable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones