• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thermal Driver Question

biggdogg

Dec 28, 2009
New Jersey
I am using an app called Device Control from the Play Store on my rooted Avant ( stock ROM ) and I see an option in the app called Thermal Driver . It says MSM-THERMAL : " If deactivated without valid replacement your device may overheat. " As you can see from the screen shots I provided apparently it is disabled by default . The app states that it only displays features that are " Supported by your device " and automatically hides anything that isn't so I assume the feature is supported . If I enable it will it actually do anything and could it have a negative effect ? Im just curious why it would be disabled by default and if the Core Control feature listed above is somehow the " valid replacement " Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1434743959857.jpg
    1434743959857.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 1434743976078.jpg
    1434743976078.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 381
A bit late to the party but here it is:
https://android.googlesource.com/ke...n/devicetree/bindings/arm/msm/msm_thermal.txt

It's a driver that manages cpu temperature, by controlling performance (to limit heat output).

As for why it's off by default, despite it saying it should be on, is beyond me.
Probably each official manufacturer ROMs have built-in heat management, that is different from this base driver, that's why it's off probably. (just speculation).

This post comes up as the third result on "msm thermal" google search so I thought I'd post this here.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones