• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help They cant all be broken can they?

GavChap

Aug 23, 2010
I'm on my 2nd desire in less than a month. The first one the flashlight led stopped working in any app. It was returned. Now its replacement has another issue with the camera. I'm getting blocky colourful pixelation when the phone is on a gprs connection and I use the camera. At least that didn't happen on the first one. I'm getting seriously fed up with HTC. Will I get one that works properly? Might swap it for Samsung galaxy, but I know I'd miss sense. S there a fix for the camera bug? Updated software? It takes a perfect picture. It just looks wrong before you click the shutter.

I have had mine for 3 months and no problems so far touch wood. Sounds like you have been a little unlucky thus far. Hope you don't go with the samsung gs as that phone is reported to be very buggy and has no camera flash and is hideous to look at, hulking great lump of plastic.

I'd give the desire another chance and get it swapped for a new one. Many users have a good functioning one and are happy. Hope you get things sorted :)

Chris

Upvote 0
I have had mine for 3 months and no problems so far touch wood. Sounds like you have been a little unlucky thus far. Hope you don't go with the samsung gs as that phone is reported to be very buggy and has no camera flash and is hideous to look at, hulking great lump of plastic.

I'd give the desire another chance and get it swapped for a new one. Many users have a good functioning one and are happy. Hope you get things sorted :)

Chris

Desire is made out of plastic too...

Upvote 0
I'm on my 2nd desire in less than a month. The first one the flashlight led stopped working in any app. It was returned. Now its replacement has another issue with the camera. I'm getting blocky colourful pixelation when the phone is on a gprs connection and I use the camera. At least that didn't happen on the first one. I'm getting seriously fed up with HTC. Will I get one that works properly? Might swap it for Samsung galaxy, but I know I'd miss sense. S there a fix for the camera bug? Updated software? It takes a perfect picture. It just looks wrong before you click the shutter.

No problems reported on mine. put GPS on taken a picture with no problems, taken off and there is no difference between the two. I just think your unlucky buddy

Are you just turning the GPS on or are you using it with 'nav', google maps etc????

DAM I SHOULD READ BETTER
you said gprs not GPS sorry my phone is on '3' which is 3G I don't think it can use gprs.

Upvote 0
I went through 6 handsets (faults ranging from mis-aligned screens to dodgy buttons - yes I was picky as I'm gonna be stuck with this for 2 years lol) before I settled on the one I've had for 4 months. This one I have now (the 4 month old one) has been back for repair twice, although one of those times it was my fault, they still took nearly 4 weeks to fix it though. The first repair was for the disappearing vibration function but since they swopped the motherboard it seems ok now, well apart from the standard pink hue in the centre of most pictures.

I still love the phone though, I just dread needing to use HTC repair again after last time.

Reactions: GavChap
Upvote 0
Easy way to test is to go to the phone settings - Wireless and Networks, and set it to "GSM Only". Wait until you get a G or E connection, then sync all. This will get the data working. Open up the camera, take a photo, go back to the camera, and wait. If your phone suffers this issue, you'll get this. (Actual photo f my phone). Or actually much worse if it's downloading anything major. I had some really bad issues in Camcorder mode, it was like it was loading a ZX Spectrum game.

On a happier note, they're doing a next-day doorstep swap. :)

Attachments

• DSCF1512.JPG
    DSCF1512.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF1514.JPG
    DSCF1514.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
Easy way to test is to go to the phone settings - Wireless and Networks, and set it to "GSM Only". Wait until you get a G or E connection, then sync all. This will get the data working. Open up the camera, take a photo, go back to the camera, and wait. If your phone suffers this issue, you'll get this. (Actual photo f my phone). Or actually much worse if it's downloading anything major. I had some really bad issues in Camcorder mode, it was like it was loading a ZX Spectrum game.

On a happier note, they're doing a next-day doorstep swap. :)

Mine has only got WCDMA Only and GSM/WCDMA Auto there is no GSM only so I'll need to go somewhere outside Glasgow. And looking outside today that will not be anytime soon [cats & dogs]

Hopefully you next one will be big free

Upvote 0
Could you say a little more about these faults?

Intermittent vibration failure, Screen not dead centre, hardware buttons failing to function, MMS failure (i was within the 28 days so I swopped the handset just to ensure it wasn't a device issue) and a dull screen that just looked wrong (dull) in comparision to the other handsets.

Like I said some were just me being picky within the 28 days but others definitely were not.

It's a flawed beauty, but it's still a beauty :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones