• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things I hate about my Desire!

Sheshnag

Apr 28, 2010
There are lots of things to LOVE about my Desire but there are also some things I hate :eek:

I just want to start a List so people can share their frustration. I will start with my 3 biggest hates:

1. Can not see the screen in sunlight.
2. Battery does not even last 3 hours under heavy use.
3. 3G connection keeps dropping.

There are lots of things to LOVE about my Desire but there are also some things I hate :eek:

I just want to start a List so people can share their frustration. I will start with my 3 biggest hates:

1. Can not see the screen in sunlight.
2. Battery does not even last 3 hours under heavy use.
3. 3G connection keeps dropping.

1. auto-brightness can solve your problem or just put it at max brightness in sunlight.
2. I am not sure what you consider 'heavy' use but I can easily play games, listen to mp3, browsing, youtube, facebook etc and can easily cope for a day and half.
3. HSPA is faster then 3G. Though it depends on your area coverage.

True that, the battery should be improved but else it's a terrific phone. I just love it.

All the phones got pro's and con's. That's life.

Upvote 0
Hmmm not much I hate about mine.

Screen at 20% I can see, just, in sunlight. Turn up the brightness and there is no problem.

Battery is pretty good for me, last a whole day with fairly heavy use.

Take today for example, got up, browsed the web for 20 mins, listened to music and watched you tube on the way to work. Checked facebook countless times, checked gmail (which auto syncs) during the day, loads of text because of the football, a fair few phonecalls for a fair amount of time due to getting the new house sorted out, games at lunch, been on the app store quite a lot tonight and bought a couple of apps, just generally playing about with it as well. Juice Plotter shows 9hrs 17mins left with the battery at 40%. Decent enough if you ask me.

Not bad since 7am

No probs with connections, get H most places bar home, but then I use my WiFi so that covers that.

Only problem I have is lack of internal storage for apps but then I have only had 1 warning and it made me clear out all the crap I d/loaded when I got a bit app happy when it was all new to me.

Froyo, if it ever appears, should see the end of that problem though...

Upvote 0
3 hours sounds pretty low. Sheshnag - give JuiceDefender a try. People have very mixed experiences of it and mine, while starting of negative, have actually grown positive. Also - what sort of use to you give it? Are you always on the internet with it for example, or is it the occasional email/wiki search etc?

Upvote 0
People keep banging on about the screen in sunlight ,No phone`s screen is clear in sunlight, be it lcd or amoled ,my last phone was an Omnia and was way worse

I agree with you on this. I haven't seen a phone with a screen clear enough in the sunlight. I own an Omnia myself and it was seriously ****ed up. I had to use my body to put the phone in shadow in order to see something on my screen.

@Sheshnag:
I do agree that the battery doesn't last long, but if you want a phone with a long battery life span, you shouldn't go for these kind of phones but a phone with really limited options.

I'm sure if you enter any random cell phone store you can buy a cheap phone for 20 bucks and the battery will last 3-4 days instead of 3 hours because it has no features installed that consume a lot of battery.

I still have one of those phones and always take it with me when I leave my house for a few days and not knowing whether I'll be able to charge my phone or not.

Upvote 0
Battery life - very poor. I'm a low user but if I got up at 7 in the morning and then was going out in the evening until, say midnight, there's no way it would last.

No alarm clock app which works when phone switched off (AFAIK).

Camera - not so great.

General bugginess - had to take SD card and battery out today as it suddenly wasn't showing my photos. Latest problem is when sending an MMS it sends it twice.

A lot of hopeless apps and even more hopeless reviews.

Lots of things I do love though, the above are just the current niggles. Well, the battery life is more than a niggle - as soon as an equivalent device comes out with better battery life I'll be off.

Upvote 0
A little constructive criticism never hurts... :eek:

• Stupid built-in default groups in the address book that I can't remove.
  • Battery life could be better (no matter what a lot of people say...)
  • Screen brightness is okay, but could be better (no matter what a lot of people say...)
  • Screen should not have pentile pattern
Not a lot more ... I rather like it. :)

Upvote 0
External speaker is poor.

Screen could be better in sunlight(for those who havent seen a good screen look at an Iphone without prejudice eyes)

Camera isnt too good compared to an old nokia.

Battery isnt very good, how you manage to get one and a half days is baffling.

Doesnt charge to 100% and stay there, drops to 90% for some reason.

Doesnt like stayed connected to the internet, keeps dropping out even when there is a good signal.

Doesnt feel like a nice solid piece of hardware in the hand.

Lags and slows down sometimes for apparently no reason.

Takes 145 hours to power off! Or until you pull the battery to hopefully unlag the phone.

An a few other things no doubt.

Basically needs a T shirt saying "Could Do Better"

Upvote 0
External speaker is poor.

Camera isnt too good compared to an old nokia.

Doesnt charge to 100% and stay there, drops to 90% for some reason.

Doesnt like stayed connected to the internet, keeps dropping out even when there is a good signal.

Takes 145 hours to power off! Or until you pull the battery to hopefully unlag the phone.

I do agree with the external speaker being poor.

Camera is fine in my opinion. I just use a real photo camera to take quality pictures.

Mine charges to 100% and stays there. Are you sure it's not your battery?

My internet is also fine. have downloaded large files without any drops. Are you referring to Wi-Fi or 3G/HSDPA?

And it shouldnt take longer than 20 seconds to shutdown. At least here on my phone things work just fine.

Upvote 0
Plenty of users on here report getting a day and a half easily. It's all about using only what you need.

Do you really need emails downloading every 10 mins?
Facebook every 10 mins?
Use GSM only unless you need 3g.
Turn off always on mobile data
Disable stuff like weather updates, they are so pointless.
disable haptic feedback
dont leave apps running unnecessary, use force close widget on active task killer

There are just some easy battery fixes.

The other day I got 42 hours life without trying that hard to save battery.

Upvote 0
All - Believe me I still like this phone and will never take up iPhone as I hate how Job is doing his job.

I think I have a faulty phone looking at your comments.

1. Being able to see the screen - honest I have it in max but still can not see it in glaring sun, fortunately UK does not get much of that so through out the year I am ok. Has anyone seen comparison to Samsung Galaxy S? It performs so much better under sun light.
2. Battery - I am constantly playing games, on the net, watching video or emailing. I know smart phones do not last long but I have friends with iPhone doing the same with me and they are definitely using it more than me. I always get laughs from them as I always rave about how Android is better, Desire is better and iPhone extortionate. Another thing is I have Blackberry Bold from Work and I abuse it a lot during the day and still it lasts me about 2 days. This is email, net, games and music use.
3. 3G connection - sorry I meant all net connection apart from WiFi. Desire seems to drop connection even when the phone signal is max. Only today I was trying to find a restaurant in Islington and it just would not connect.

I have not started this thread to have more iPhone bashing - there is already a lot of that. but we should not bury our heads in sand. If the Desire issues are talked about then HTC may actually do something about it. I feel more comfortable complaining to them if I know the issue is not just with my phone.

Peace

Upvote 0
Sheshnag - I recognise the first 2 (I'm in the UK too). Under the lovely sun at the moment it is difficult to make out the screen - but I had that problem on my laptop today and several friends were moaning about the issue with their phones (iPhones, Nokias etc included) - I think it is just an issue with modern screens.

Re battery, 1.5 days is the longest I've managed to get out of it. My usage tends to be phones/texts/emails during most of the day with two peak sessions during my commute involving net use/RSS updates/games etc. It's something I've learned to live with though, just getting into the habit of plugging it in while at home, and taking a charger if I'm away from home at a hotel or wherever.

For the network, I have noticed some down periods but they tend to be because of the network (VM in my case) rather than the phone e.g. going mental on 3G during football matches as people hammer tvcatchup and so on.

Upvote 0
MH75 - I don't recognise half your problems. Suggest a clean reboot/install.

Anyway - the only main gripe I have is re the car charging. It basically doesn't charge using (a generic) car charger - well it does, but at about 1% every 4 hours.

This has been covered in the forums. It's not the phone's fault it's down to the 3rd party manufacturers of the chargers. I have the oficial HTC one, works great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones