Things To Know About Camera's & Mega Pixels

Last Updated:

1. bcalvanese

bcalvanese Active Member This Topic's Starter

removed by OP

Advertisement
  2. unwallflower

unwallflower Well-Known Member

Well, really... once you get to a certain point (3.2 megapixels, in my opinion) you're only going to see a REAL noticeable difference when you blow the pictures up.

More megapixels = the larger you can make the print. I think that's really what it comes down to.

3. bcalvanese

removed by OP

4. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

As far as numbers go, you are correct. However, a 5 megapixel camera with a good sensor and lens trumps an 8 megapixel with a sub par sensor and lens.

5. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Good info here, thanks guys!

6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

iphone 4 image sensor quality > evo image sensor quality

/thread

7. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

C'mon now guys, be nice.

I'm sure if you have more megapixels it will allow you to blow up the picture bigger, but as dude just said, beyond 3 or 4 megapixels it's not gonna look drastically different if it's in small size.

8. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

thats what she said.

JunBringer likes this.
  9. rickyaustin

rickyaustin Well-Known Member

^ ^ this ^ ^

10. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member

Exactly. I took an 8MP photo and it looked like fuzzy, blurry trash. You have to reduce it and fix it in photoshop before it looks halfway decent. However, I realize that for a smart-phone...the picture quality is acceptable.

11. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Not true. Just because it has more pixels does not mean it's more detailed. I can take a picture from a 1 megapixel camera, and increase the pixels to make it an 8mp size. That doesnt mean there is more detail, the same detail from the 1mp picture is there, nothing more.

Absolutely correct.

12. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

The amount of "detail" that is digitally recorded by a sensor is irrelevant if the lens in front of the sensor cannot resolve that much detail.

13. bcalvanese

removed by OP

14. bcalvanese

removed by OP

15. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

The contradictory nature of your post makes me crazy.

How can you try to ignore sensor types and which is better then say 8MP will always have more detail than 5MP?

16. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

ROFL, come on now, this thread wasn't helpful to anyone. Anyone can google "megapixel" and get this information. Anyone that has an IQ greater then 50 would put the photos up side by side on a computer screen to compare instead of comparing on their phones.

A useful thread is one that either:

1. Contains information not easily accessible through a search.

2. Bundles up a lot of different information accessible through a search into one convenient thread.

3. Asks a question that others may have and has not been asked or answered before.

17. bcalvanese

removed by OP

18. TheFov

TheFov Member

An 8MP picture is about ten times the size of your average monitor set a reasonable resolution. So unless you're using a projector as a monitor or have a three foot roll plotter, the additional detail is essentially useless.

You can't just shrink the picture size to 5X7 and expect your monitor or printer to be able to capture the 8MP of detail. No consumer monitor or printer can display that kind of resolution.

For all intents and purposes, and if you don't expect to crop your photo, a 1MP photo displayed on your monitor, or printed at a reasonable size (8X10, 5X7, etc) is going to look exactly like a 8MP photo, keeping all other things equal.

If you need resolution beyond 1MP, then you need a real camera, not one on the back of a phone. Camera phones are used for taking pictures of friends at the bar, not particles in the Large Hadron Collider.

unwallflower likes this.
  19. unwallflower

I apologize for what I said, but it is INCREDIBLY condescending to accuse me of "making up" things as I go along... TWICE now, in fact.

I didn't make anything up. It's simple logic. Yes, of course 8 MP is better than 5 is better than 1. But for all intents and purposes, it DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE for the typical everyday user who is making prints. It doesn't start to really make a difference until you blow the picture up... and really, I don't think that most people are going to be enlarging a snapshot from a cell phone too often.

And no, I didn't make anything up. I have taken several photography classes. I own a nice camera. No, I don't do it for a living. But I am not completely inexperienced and I am NOT making anything up, and I find it incredibly disrespectful that you're accusing me of doing so.

I'm allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours. I never accused YOU of making anything up (although your "information" is so selective that it isn't very helpful in the first place), so it was awfully defensive and condescending of you to do so yourself.

20. bcalvanese

removed by OP

21. unwallflower

EXACTLY. This is exactly what I was trying to say.

22. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

You do realize that just because Steve Jobs says it's the best, doesn't mean it actually is, right? The technology Steve Jobs went on and on about at WWDC in the camera of the iPhone 4 is actually very close to the tech used in the EVO's as well.

However, an 8mp camera with a good sensor trumps a 5mp camera with a good sensor.

Woo.

23. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand that MP is not the only determining factor to detail. Lens and sensor quality have a huge roll in this.

24. bcalvanese

removed by OP

25. TheFov

TheFov Member

I don't know how much more simply we can put that the only way to see the additional detail is with a projector screen, an roll plotter, or zooming way in on the picture, and none of those things matter to people taking picture with a camera phone.