• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Things you'll Do With ROOT

HTC was built directly into the OS for the Eris
Even when people default back to home its running.
I wonder what might happen if its taken out completely
Ive been running home for about a week now and have found that as long as you dont reboot the phone, sense will eventually go idle instead of continually running in the background. Havent paid attention to how long it takes before it goes idle though.
Yeap, that's what I've found too.

JrzDroid, I don't believe Sense is "built in" to the OS. It simply runs as a "service". Once someone gets a root shell, they can confirm this by navigating to /etc/init.d directory (I think that's the location ... or it used to be back when I was a heavy linux user).

Upvote 0
What I want to do, but don't know if it's possible, is turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot. That way my son, for example, can get internet service on his iPod touch (in the car, for instance).

That would be a great feature, I saw the Palm Pre commercial yesterday with the program to turn it into a Mobile Hotspot. Pretty cool little feature

Upvote 0
Would having all your apps on the SD card make the phone faster? If so, yes please.

No, it wouldnt be faster(the read/write of the internal memory is faster than sd) you would just have more room for apps. well if you had a class 6 sdcard it would be faster than the sd that comes with the phone, but still slower than NAND(internal memory).

Upvote 0
No, it wouldnt be faster(the read/write of the internal memory is faster than sd) you would just have more room for apps. well if you had a class 6 sdcard it would be faster than the sd that comes with the phone, but still slower than NAND(internal memory).

Because when ever i go to look at my photo's, or use better cut, or manage applications, it's always slow and laggy as hell.

I have no issue with space, not even close to filling up 8g.

Upvote 0
I a noob when it comes to the android phones. i understand rooting, clocking for the pc anyway, and installing apps on the sd card. However, how fast can the phone really run when clocked. Does it really make that big of a difference. Also I herd from a little bird that some time app, when stored on sd card, can some times get randomly deleted. Is this true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones