• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Think about switching to Samsung...

Which device?

• Galaxy s7 edge

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Galaxy note 5

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
hi everyone. So I'm currently thinking about switching from my current iPhone 6s to an either Galaxy s7 edge or an note 5. But I have a few concerns and questions.
So I've switched from Apple to Samsung before and it did not end up well. I ended up switching back to iPhone ASAP. I switched to an Galaxy s5 and it was terrible. I don't know why. It felt cheap in hands. It just doesn't interest me. But I know a lot of you are gonna say never mind the S5, it's the worst Samsung Galaxy series. I know. But I'm still scared. I feel like the S7e and note 5 are much better and more premium. But it still concerns me. The reason I'm switching is because I've been an iPhone user for like 5 years and I'm really tired of it. The phone feels boring and the battery life sucks so much. 10 min of YouTube and maybe 10% of battery is gone. I hate it. And the new samsungn phones has amazing battery and it does look attractive. So help me, should I switch? And if so which device should I get and why? The S7e or note 5? Thank you very much!

I really haven't had any hands-on with either one, as I said I'm happy with the S5 so I'm not shopping.
Read the reviews, compare features, get some hands-on and you should be able to make up your mind. One factor is size, do you want a decent size phone or a small phablet? The N5 is somewhat larger and may be too large for some peoples' preference.
You may want to head over to the specific forums for the devices you are considering, where you can read about owners' experiences with them and ask questions.
http://androidforums.com/forums/samsung-galaxy-s7-s7-edge.3243/
http://androidforums.com/forums/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge.3296/
http://androidforums.com/forums/samsung-galaxy-note-5.2915/
I know the lack of a removable battery won't be a problem for you since you're coming from the iPhone.
Also bear in mind that unlike the iPhone which is pretty much locked down, Android is a much more open platform which allows for a lot of tweaking. It can take some time with a new device to get it just the way you want it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The S7 Edge is a great phone. Honestly I never understood this whole "it feels cheap" thing. It's made of plastic sure. But you'll be putting a case on it anyway, and it's one less thing to break. As for why, only you can say why you will switch. Remember, any app you bought on the iPhone, you need to buy again for Android. Your backups may not entirely switch over. And Android does a lot of things differently than the iPhone, even if for the same ends. The question is, why do you want to switch?

Upvote 0
Does it have to be Samsung? I love my Nexus 5x, and I would highly recommend it (or the Nexus 6p).

From the reasons she previously stated, the Nexii are considered out. She's one of those 'premium feel' people. So plastic construction is out. She can probably also consider HTC 10. The LG G5 is made of metal so it could also be considered. But I remember a review stating it's not as premium feeling as the specifications would lead you ti believe, with instances of ill fitting components on the chassis.

Upvote 0
hi everyone. So I'm currently thinking about switching from my current iPhone 6s to an either Galaxy s7 edge or an note 5. But I have a few concerns and questions.
So I've switched from Apple to Samsung before and it did not end up well. I ended up switching back to iPhone ASAP. I switched to an Galaxy s5 and it was terrible. I don't know why. It felt cheap in hands. It just doesn't interest me. But I know a lot of you are gonna say never mind the S5, it's the worst Samsung Galaxy series. I know. But I'm still scared. I feel like the S7e and note 5 are much better and more premium. But it still concerns me. The reason I'm switching is because I've been an iPhone user for like 5 years and I'm really tired of it. The phone feels boring and the battery life sucks so much. 10 min of YouTube and maybe 10% of battery is gone. I hate it. And the new samsungn phones has amazing battery and it does look attractive. So help me, should I switch? And if so which device should I get and why? The S7e or note 5? Thank you very much!
I totally agree with you there about the S5. For a flagship at the time, it just felt very cheap, and all Samsung flagships were like this (cheap plastic) up until the S6, Thank God Samsung has finally got somee sense. I would not get a phone just because it is metal though. Do you just like having a premium-feeling phone? Are you w0rried about durability?

Upvote 0
I have never, ever, understood this whole "plastic is cheap" thing. It is far more durable than metal cases.
I hate a metal cased phone, too damn slick to hold in your hand, and if the phone is not in a case, it is too damn thin to hold in your hand.

so ergo, why the bother about what kind of case it has on it? Plastic is better because the antenna is in the clear, and you get better reception than a phone with a metal case.

I have owned several Samsungs, the 'S' and have two S5s right now in service, and also a Note 4.

All of them have cases on them, and the only thing you see is the face on them.

Upvote 0
I'll go with the chief on this one. I'd wait until the end of the year and check out the note 6 or the new nexus. I do have some reservations when recommending a person who has been in the iPhone ecosystem for that long but if you are gonna jump ship....then Samsungs and the Nexus series are my top choices for people to try.

The LG and HTC offerings this year are also nice but if you want to go all in on Android then I'd go with the Top 2 of the Android world.

I personally love my note 5. This is my first Note btw. So I voted for that one. But really either one is a good choice.

Remember though!!!!

The Note series usually brings the biggest battery option out of Samsung's whole lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if this year's Note 6 has a massive battery again.

Upvote 0
From the reasons she previously stated, the Nexii are considered out. She's one of those 'premium feel' people. So plastic construction is out. She can probably also consider HTC 10. The LG G5 is made of metal so it could also be considered. But I remember a review stating it's not as premium feeling as the specifications would lead you ti believe, with instances of ill fitting components on the chassis.
Lol I'm a guy. I didn't know there were girls named Alec too. But anyways, it's not like the premium feeling is a thing. It's just that when you hold a phone in your hand, you can feel it automatically. Especially coming from an iPhone. And Samsung probably got a lot of feedback on this and they probably realized it too that's why since the S6 series the materials used is glass instead of plastic. And as I have stated, the reason I want to switch is because I've been an iPhone user since the 4S and I just wanna try something new, really got tired of it lol. And the battery... Oh lord don't mention the battery. It makes me wanna smash the phone on Tim Cook's ugly face!!!

Upvote 0
I agree with Chief. The Note 6 will be expected to have a huge battery. Considering it will be bigger then the 7Edge, they could certainly slap a bigger battery in there. Plus new advancement in tech may make it even more battery efficient. At the very least S7 and S7 Edge prices will be lower then.

Although I must say that battery life on my Edge has been nothing short of surprising for me. I came from a phone with 3100mah battery, and the 3600mah on the S7Edge plus the new efficient tech just about doubles the battery time.

However, yes 'premium feel' is a thing. It's something that a number of people feel irrelevant about since they're putting it in a case, or some prefer plastics over glass since it's less likely to break from falls, or at least cheaper to make, or would allow for a removable battery.

Upvote 0
I too like "premium" feel...
but I don't think metal or glass phone body.. is a good idea.

I have the Note3.. if feels great in the hand.

Note5.. no SDcard.. no removable battery. soo it was a NO-GO for me.
I know that you are from iPhone arena, so those are not a big deal for you.
but those are big pluses for android users.

waiting for the Note6..

Upvote 0
But anyways, it's not like the premium feeling is a thing. It's just that when you hold a phone in your hand, you can feel it automatically. Especially coming from an iPhone. And Samsung probably got a lot of feedback on this and they probably realized it too that's why since the S6 series the materials used is glass instead of plastic. And as I have stated, the reason I want to switch is because I've been an iPhone user since the 4S and I just wanna try something new, really got tired of it lol. And the battery... Oh lord don't mention the battery. It makes me wanna smash the phone on Tim Cook's ugly face!!!

I will second qwertyK's suggestion of the Nexus 6P. The chassis is made of metal. You can go to a store and hold one to see if you like the feel.

The Nexus 6P also has a very good battery life. I've always criticised my old phones for their poor battery life. I am quite impressed with the battery life on the Nexus 6P.

Upvote 0
Dear God please dont buy a samsung. You can do so much better in that price range.

As far as premium hand feel the HTC flagships are often given immense props for design/feel.

Personally I'd recommend a nexus device. If you want the best they have its probably the 6p.

Its well built and switching from Apple might be easiest with a nexus device since Google is to android what Apple is to ios.

Everyone else is just using the open source code and building on it and usually it's for the worse tbh. Especially samsung in my experience. What these manufacturers do is often change the Look which can be good if you like that but the problem is the lag and not all apps work as well on heavily modified Roms since apps are generally developed on aosp ( devices with a stock/near stock os build)

Things you have going for you if you go with nexus:
1. Lightning fast os updates.
With the exception of maybe Motorola nobody gets new android versions as quickly or for as many years as nexus devices do.

For example the nexus 7 (2013 version) tablet is running the latest stock android os update. You'd be hard pressed to point out any other android Device ( that's not a nexus/Google Device) from that far back that's running the newest version of android.

Also you'll get monthly security updates even after your Device no longer receieves os updates.

Its a feature that can't be overlooked. Samsung is TERRIBLE at updating their software.

2. Apps are generally developed with the nexus line in mind ( not Every developer...but nexus is by definition the baseline for android app development).

This means ( especially in my experience) that more apps run best on a nexus Device and sometimes not the truth for heavily modded devices.

Those are just a couple of the big obvious reasons... But beyond that you'll have just as capable of a device as a samsung but you'll also save a couple hundred at the same time Plus the benefits i listed above. That and i think the switch from iPhone to nexus is much easier since Google and apple basically do the same thing.

Reactions: aysiu and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I will second qwertyK's suggestion of the Nexus 6P. The chassis is made of metal. You can go to a store and hold one to see if you like the feel.

The Nexus 6P also has a very good battery life. I've always criticised my old phones for their poor battery life. I am quite impressed with the battery life on the Nexus 6P.
No you can't. Who sells the 6p in store? I thought no carriers were offering it? I was under the impression that buying from Google or online through a 3rd party seller was the only way to get one. Has this changed?

Upvote 0
No you can't. Who sells the 6p in store? I thought no carriers were offering it? I was under the impression that buying from Google or online through a 3rd party seller was the only way to get one. Has this changed?
Depends on countries. Nexus phones in my country are a bit rare, but some can be had in some brick and mortar stores. Google doesn't have an online store here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones