think i just killed my phone on accident

Last Updated:

1. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i was using the adb shell to reboot my phone and i clumsily typed in reboot instead of reboot recovery so i pulled my battery right away and i think i like broke the battery or something... when i plug it into the charger the orange/green charging light dosen't turn on and i can't turn anything on at all... did i blow a socket or something or did i brick my phone... what should i do about this?

plz help!!!

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

First, take a deep breath.

Second, unplug the phone from the charger.

Third, remove the battery, and let it sit for 30 seconds or so. (Optionally, press the "Power" button while the battery is out).

Fourth, re-insert the battery.

Fifth... try and start the phone in HBOOT mode: Vol-Down+End/Power

Can you get to that spot?

ljbaumer likes this.
  3. ljbaumer

holly shit it worked... i am there right now... now what should i do?

4. erisuser1

Try booting it into recovery (using the keys). Does that work?

5. ljbaumer

ok just went to amon's recovery and then rebooted... it is working now! thanks so much for your help.

6. erisuser1

Glad everything is OK.

I would make a Nandroid backup straight away, just in case - and make a note somewhere of the fact that that backup occurred AFTER you had a problem (just in case you corrupted something). The reason that I say this is that if you discover two weeks from now that there is a problem, then you've been backing up "the problem" ever since then, and rolling backward to before the event means using an even earlier Nand restore.

Here's a little known fact which will give you a little more confidence in your Eris - the bootloaders appear to have code in them that can re-size and rebuild the partitions in the system flash memory. (The Amon_RA recovery does not do this automatically) Even though the size of the partitions didn't seem to change from MR1 -> MR2 -> 2.1, I think that the HBOOT installation method goes through this process when installing one of those "PB00IMG.ZIP" files.

The reason that I suspect this is that I tweaked my phone so bad once that Amon_RA could no longer restore previous backups - something was wrong with the filesystems, or the flash partitioning, and they wouldn't "mount" so that Nand restores could be performed.

How did I solve this problem? Simple: I just re-rooted the phone with the ROOT PB00IMG.ZIP file (md5sum: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94), and then re-installed the Amon_RA recovery. From there, restore a Nand backup, and back in business.

Moral of the story is that as long as you can get the HBOOT (1.49 S-OFF) bootloader to come to life, you can restore the phone back to where you were - everything else can be torched and unusable.

That's what I thought we might have had to do; but I'm glad it was easier than that.

eu1

7. ljbaumer

i'm still rooted though... right? cause i am still running WW3.2

8. erisuser1

We didn't change anything on your phone. Yes, you still are rooted.

9. ljbaumer

awesome thanks!