• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Think I may have started something on my private "moms" board. Oops.

I say the iPhone is amazing because it changed the way manufacturers made smartphone OS'. Maybe not WinMo because that has been around for ages, but it definitely made HTC step up with TouchFlo 3D and Sense. Android may or may not have been around or at least as popular if it wasn't for the iPhone too. And the one thing that can't really be debated is the App game that the iPhone has brought to the table. Without that we wouldn't see nearly as many apps for Android. I still miss some of the apps I had for my 3G, but I would never go back to it for that. Games are also a strong point for the iPhone and Android is seriously lacking, hell even the Pre has better games now. It isn't a hardware problem but more so a Developer Kit lacking for serious game dev's to use.

And WP7 sucks the balls, I wont argue on that one with you.
Apple did indeed start the revolution in smart phones but in true Apple fashion, they made it total package with ZERO options for anything other than the way you buy it. Need a battery, take it in for service, need more storage buy a better phone. I do not see why anyone would buy a phone that you can not upgrade anything without taking it in for service or buying a new one. He spent millions on advertising and sucked everyone in to his way things should be and no path for upgrades until he releases a new phone. Now he wants to patent his way of swiping the phone, so maybe someone should patent a handshake?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yea, I agree on the battery deal. The memory depends on the user though, I had a 16GB and that was plenty for me, but it does indeed suck that if you need more space you have to either upgrade your phone or delete stuff. They make a 64GB iPhone now or is it still 32? I don't know of any micro sd cards that go higher then 32GB anyway, well maybe there might be a 64GB but that is definitely the most so really you can't hold much more then a iPhone unless you buy more sd cards but the 32/64GB's are very expensive anyway, like over $100.

Upvote 0
Yea, customization is a fail for the iPhone in stock form, but when you jailbreak it then you can really go crazy. I had some very neat themes on my 3G that really changed the UI around. Jailbreaking isn't much different then rooting a Android phone or hacking a WinMo phone and using custom ROM's, so to argue that you have to jailbreak it to customize it is a moot point. Changing wallpapers can be easily done without jailbreaking though, you just need the wallpapers app. I still think it is stupid you can't just change it through a native/stock setting though.

I say the iPhone is amazing because it changed the way manufacturers made smartphone OS'. Maybe not WinMo because that has been around for ages, but it definitely made HTC step up with TouchFlo 3D and Sense. Android may or may not have been around or at least as popular if it wasn't for the iPhone too. And the one thing that can't really be debated is the App game that the iPhone has brought to the table. Without that we wouldn't see nearly as many apps for Android. I still miss some of the apps I had for my 3G, but I would never go back to it for that. Games are also a strong point for the iPhone and Android is seriously lacking, hell even the Pre has better games now. It isn't a hardware problem but more so a Developer Kit lacking for serious game dev's to use.

And WP7 sucks the balls, I wont argue on that one with you.

Well, jailbreaking is fine and all. However, Apple constantly is trying to combat that with it's constant updates. I, for one, did unlock my TP2. I haven't had to unlock it except for that one time, and can do whatever I want to my hearts content with it.

My friend who has a jailbroken iPhone, however... tends to have to re-jailbreak it due to Apples updates and it re-locking the device. That would just make it a huge headache for me and make me feel like the purpose and effort put into it is worthless.

Kinda why i've got no qualms with going to Android. Once it's rooted, it's rooted... don't have to worry about google putting my nootskies in a vice and squeezing them till my device turns back to normal.

Upvote 0
these habbits must be gone lol... if you look online there are things out there for so cheap it's crazy, as a matter of fact just last week i had to buy a HDMI to DVI-D 6' cable so i could hook my ps3 up to my PC monitor to play and i found them online for $.01 because a warehouse was overstocked with them, shipping was 1.00 roughly, got it yesterday and works awesome, has gold contacts everywhere very sturdy cable, carries a beautiful picture...

just look around online at pricegrabber.com and amazon.com and sites like that

I suppose. I could always just pump money into my local community by getting wasted ^_^. I don't know, i've never had a good feeling of having to wait for something to be shipped to me. I'm an instant gratification kind of guy... and nine times out of ten if I do have something shipped to me, it's hard to actually get it on time because most likely i'll not be home when the ups/dhl/fedex guy shows up. And the post office won't leave packages on my porch (thank god).

Upvote 0
personally, I am open-minded and love the concept of the iPhone and Android...well, looks like multi-tasking is going to be on the new iPhone and customization. just like I suspected at the end of the day the Evo will have 4g and a bigger screen, which is awesome, but far from making it head and shoulders better then the new iPhone.

Live from Apple's iPhone OS 4 event! -- Engadget

10:14AM "We're going to talk about 7 new features... the first one which is the biggest one... multitasking."

10:13AM "In addition, there's over 100 new user features. Create playlists, 5x digital zoom, tap to focus on video, gift apps, geotagging, places in the photo app, change the homescreen wallpaper, bluetooth keyboards... spell checker."

Upvote 0
im sure apple has some cool stuff coming with iphone os 4.0, and i imagine the new iphone will use that a4 1ghz proc like the ipad. it will most likelyget a boost in ram too, and the new os will allow multi tasking in a very organized way. the thing is android and the evo already do and have all that and more. the screen on the iphone will never be bigger then 3.7 or so unless they want to re work everything from the ground up. apple may be hated around here but you cant argue that the iphone is a amazing device.

ive owned everything from iphone 3g to nokia n95, htc touch pro, htc apache, htc vouge, htc dream aka g1, htc hero, motorola q, htc hd1, and now the droid. all the os's have strong points and advantages over others, what it comes down to is the USER. will the evo kill or even outsell the iphone, hell no i promise you it wont even do 1/2 the sales, maybe even 1/4. but android will outsell the iphone, hell since the droid it is almost there, and now we have the incredible and n1 coming to vzw which will get a bigger audience. then the evo will add even more to those numbers.

hardcore iphone users wont switch, same with the average jor who wants a easy to use smartphone with more apps then some countries populations. same as hardcore androiders wont switch. winmo and bb users are who will be seriously looking at the evo and new iphone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

awesome post and I just realized it's the first one I have thanked.

Upvote 0
Well, jailbreaking is fine and all. However, Apple constantly is trying to combat that with it's constant updates. I, for one, did unlock my TP2. I haven't had to unlock it except for that one time, and can do whatever I want to my hearts content with it.

My friend who has a jailbroken iPhone, however... tends to have to re-jailbreak it due to Apples updates and it re-locking the device. That would just make it a huge headache for me and make me feel like the purpose and effort put into it is worthless.

Kinda why i've got no qualms with going to Android. Once it's rooted, it's rooted... don't have to worry about google putting my nootskies in a vice and squeezing them till my device turns back to normal.

android is no different really. whenever we get a update to android we have to find a new way to root it. they close out whatever exploit was used before. winmo is the exception to this though.

Upvote 0
well if the iPhone 4th gen were announced, then we'd be comparing to that, but seeing how her friends are already talking about the 3gs, and the evo, that is what we are comparing, if you don't like it stop reading this thread, it's that simple...

any android release around the time of the 3gs still does way more than the 3gs just because of the OS and that is what half of the difference is... the iPhone can't change that much anyway,

1. it's not going to be 4g so that argument is valid.

agree.

2. screen size won't change because of the way the software works, everyone will have
to reprogram all their apps specifically for the new iPhone, and new apps won't work
on the old one etc... it's the way they programmed it, they are not that smart.

agree that the screen size will be bigger on the Evo, I don't fully agree that the iPhone screen will not increase in size because I simply don't know.

3. it's not going to have android, so everything android vs iPhone OS is still valid cause
let's face it, if apple finaly allows you to change your background to something other
than black, well good for them, they are only 10 years behind, i can do that on a
dumb-phone 10 years old

this would fall under preference anyways, but yes the new iphone will allow background changes, not widgets

4. a FFC would be nice but ATT ain't gonna allow that on their crappy network, it'll burn
it to the ground

sorry, I fail. what is FFC?

5. if they finally add flash to the camera well again... they are a few years behind
I didn't see a mention of flash today, but:
Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos, and a 5x digital zoom for the camera.

the only thing the iPhone will still have the advantage of is it's MP3 player, but hey, that is what ipods are for... i don't want an ipod that can also make calls, i want a smartphone that does whatever i need it too

this argument is confusing to me, why would you not want everything integrated? but, again that is preference.
some new features I think are good/impressive:

Game Center. It's like Xbox Live, but for iPhone games. Includes achievements, leaderboards, and match making. It will be available as a "developer preview," and out for consumers later this year.

iBooks, just like on iPad, only smaller. You can wirelessly sync books between platforms, a la Kindle.

Enhanced Mail! You can have a merged inbox view, switch between inboxes quickly, and sync to more than one Exchange account. There's also threaded messaging (at last!) and in-app attachment viewing.

Multitasking.

all in all both phones are pretty freakin awesome and back to my original point, I love the concept of both devices and I don't see how you can consider one superior over the other besides the 4g argument, which Evo obviously wins, but who knows how long it will be until 4g reaches the rest of the 90% of people who don't live in a 4g area.

one major thing though for me is the iPhone has a much better GPU than the EVO and I do like gaming occassionally.

summary: if the iPhone came to Sprint I would sincerely have to compare both devices side by side to make my decision, but since the iPhone is not coming to Sprint any time soon the Evo is an easy decision for me, but you won't ever find me slinging mud at Apple because they also have an amazing device.

Upvote 0
android is no different really. whenever we get a update to android we have to find a new way to root it. they close out whatever exploit was used before. winmo is the exception to this though.

However, the Android updates aren't as common as the Apple updates are. Android has some time between those updates.

I also, really, really, REALLY hate the way the iPhone syncs with your computer. It's just too forceful.

Either way, i'll take Android before the iPhone any day.

All the features that have been announced so far should have been on the iPhone from the start. And they're still missing on a lot of ground.

Upvote 0
Didn't mean to start anything on here! As I said before, it was all in jest.

I don't think anything is "started" here besides another healthy debate. These kinds of debates keep the phone community involved.... and have some very strong opinions. This forum, however, does a good job at keeping personal attacks at bay, which i've come to appreciate in my last day or two that i've been posting.

There's a few threads that turned VERY heated and VERY negative over at PPCGeeks in my WinMO section.

I like the way people conduct themselves here.

So you're fine. Are you learning a lot yet?

Upvote 0
I don't think anything is "started" here besides another healthy debate. These kinds of debates keep the phone community involved.... and have some very strong opinions. This forum, however, does a good job at keeping personal attacks at bay, which i've come to appreciate in my last day or two that i've been posting.

There's a few threads that turned VERY heated and VERY negative over at PPCGeeks in my WinMO section.

The mood here is very nicely tempered, as compared some of the battle royals over on PPCGeeks amongst members. Debate is healthy and I sincerely appreciate how everyone keeps it topically without going personal with the discussions. It's refreshing and welcome...so kudos everyone!:)

Upvote 0
Apple may not invent a lot,but they perfect a lot, ie multitasking without killing the battery, they have found a way too do it, and do it smooth and fast.

for some reason, easy is equated to bad, apple products are easy to use, they are very intuitive. does not make it a bad product, just a very well thought out product. Also, someone mentioned updates, apple does not force anyone to update, one can choose to ignore any updates, not so with android from what i have seen on this board, The updates pop up and nag you until installed, no? Also synching is a dream and not forceful at all. You can automatically sync or manually sync, quite nice and i miss it with my hero.

ok so no hello kitty themes, but now you can do wallpapers. My hero forces my wallpapers to lower resolutions just to save memory, so no matter how beautiful a wall it is it looks like hell. The iphone with folders now, can have over 2,100 apps on a phone and never slow it down. something my hero cannot do, nor any android phone right now. I cannot multitask at all with the hero, zero, zich nada, nein...but could, with native apps, and now 3rd party apps on the iphone.

Android is great because it allows anyone to tinker. Apple is great because it does not, pure and simple.

Upvote 0
agree. I can multitask with my Hero too

I'm sincerely confused about the latest turn of events in this thread. Apple basically matched everything the Evo can do, except the screen size (this is preference tho, so I don't consider it to be an advantage), HDMI Output (very minor upgrade, I don't even think half the phone buyers would use this) and 4g. The basis of the original argument by Covert and a few others was regarding the capabilities of the 3gs iPhone, not iPhone 4g. Now you guys are just saying that you're not excited about the new iPhone because it should've done all these things already and that is why I'm confused. I never said I was excited about the new iPhone, I just simply said that comparing the Evo to the iPhone 3gs was pointless, especially since you did it the day before we were going to learn about the iPhone 4g. 8mp camera is probably going to be matched or similar on the iPhone, front facing camera is rumored to be on the new iPhone...

iChatAgent process shows up in iPhone OS 4.0 -- video conferencing coming?

Basically, Apple took all the exciting features from Winmo7 (Xbox Live = Game Center) and the Evo (Front facing camera, multitasking) and put them in the iPhone. Is that revolutionary? no! But, does that level the playing field for 2010? yes! This is an awesome year for consumers, ie. Evo, iPhone 4g and Winmo7, so lets just sit back and enjoy.

front facing camera for video calls, 4g connection for faster data (like WiFi wherever you go) 720p video recording (record videos that actually are enjoyable to watch since they are in HD) and 8mp camera for better and more clear pictures to enjoy your memories. a much larger screen so you can see what you want to see... a kickstand so you don't have to hold it if your watching movies on it. the ability to multi-task so if your using navigation to get somewhere and you need to send an email or text, you can do so without stopping navigation, or any other app/program. customization of android so you know what phone is yours as it will represent you, not a bunch of blocks on a screen. it also has a much faster processor, which is what makes things run, it's like the engine in a car, it does all the work, the faster it is the more you can do.

there is nothing the iPhone can do that the EVO 4g cannot, but clearly, there is PLENTY the iPhone cannot do that the EVO4g CAN

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones