Think i need to sell my desire!

Last Updated:

1. class478

class478 Member This Topic's Starter

After updating to Orange uk Froyo 2.2 i discovered a problem. It's the only problem i can really find(despite others talking about wifi hotspot etc) but it's a massive one for me and renders the phone unlivable-with.

The normal operation of the phone is that pressing the power button brings up the lock screen to slide your finger down and open to the home screen(s).

My lock screen disappears whenever it feels like it and will not come back until you restart the phone. This is absolutely unacceptable as the phone is doing things in your pocket.

Have tried 3rd party screens from the market but they all work only until the stock lock screen fails and you know this has happened even though you are using a different one, because, when it does all of the butons will then open the home screen on only one press. That is as useless as not having a lock screen at all.

Have tried factory resetting as i mentioned in a prevoius post and this worked for a while, but the problem returns time and time again. There is only so much factory resetting one can take as even with mybackup pro it still doesn't put all your email client stuff back in and this all takes an absolute AGE!

Have also tried unsuccessfully to put the generic HTC Froyo on to give that a go but i can't get it to work for love nor money. So the bottom line is that it must go, perhaps to someone who knows about programming or is a rooting expert as i can not take any more of these silly problems. I am going back to my reliable Nokia E71 for a while until i decide where to go next. May be basic but it just works every day.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

What guide for Unbranding are you using?

3. papa j

papa j Well-Known Member

save all to a sd card or back it to your pc and do a factoy reset as i had the same issue with the lock screen

ok should read all post 1st....

send it back to htc and et them to send you a new one

4. class478

I have tried several methods of unbranding and all have failed miserably. Think it's because the orange software will always have a newer number and it won't replace it with an older rom.

Besides i'd have to send it back to orange under my insurance with them, then new one on 2.1, update to 2.2 again and probably bingo same problems. It must be something with their version as i have googled it to death and the issue hardly gets a mention!

5. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

"It must be something with their version as i have googled it to death and the issue hardly gets a mention!"

The second half of that sentence would perhaps indicate that the first half is erroneous. If it was an inherent fault of their firmware then I very much doubt it'd 'hardly get a mention' on the Internet.

I'd put money on it being an errant app. A factory reset fixes it for a while, until you start loading it with apps, then it manifests itself again?

6. class478

I appreciate the comment about my sentence. read it after i wrote it and thought "what?" But i think you get my drift. All the same apps were present on 2.1 and never caused an issue on that. I'm just losing patience with all the re entering data. there's only so many time one feels like doing it.

7. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Get 2.29.405.2 WWE from shipped-roms.com - it's the newest RUU out and will be fine...

8. ste1164

ste1164 Active Member

It is a very small problem I am on Orange 2.2 and I have never had this problem.

9. omniscian

omniscian Member

If you are debranding, you need to use your Goldcard both for the debranding and for the updating. I'm on an Orange debranded Desire and get problems everytime I update with my standard SD card so everytime it says an update is available, I swap to my gold card, update, and put my normal SD card back in and everything is fine.

10. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Should just make your normal card a gold card and be done with it!

11. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

turn your normal sdcard into a goldcard, would make sense

also people who have a higher version, there is a new WWE HTC rom out which you could move to
    if you would rather not then make a gold card and use teppics downgrader
    this will downgrade your device to a standard debranded 2.1 and then you can upgrade to which ever 2.2 package you want
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768256

bottom line is
    make your everyday sdcard into a goldcard using a new cid image created (each sdcard has its own cid when connected to the device)
    this will mean updates will always work when you are on the stock debranded HTC rom

12. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

I agree that it's likely a faulty app that, despite your resets, you are putting back onto the phone. When you reset, just leave the phone for a while in its "natural" state and see how you get on.

13. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

I Agree with the partridge, its probably one of your apps.

Just because the same apps worked fine on 2.1 doesnt mean one of then isnt at fault now your running 2.2