Think i'm ready for my first custom ROM

Last Updated:

1. DEADSTOCK

DEADSTOCK Member This Topic's Starter

I just want to make sure i've got everything right so far. I rooted this morning with the "one click" method, did a nandroid backup, and d/l'd Kaos Froyo v.27. Does that sound like i'm good to go? I didn't see the Kaos Froyo zip when i was in recovery mode though? I guess i need to know what my next step is. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

You downloaded it straight to your phone?
    I just d/l to my laptop, plugged in the phone, dragged the zip to my phone. Unplugged, then turned the phone off. Then held Volume Up + End button. Installed zip from SD, selected the zip, then let it do it's thing. I'm no expert though, just trying to help. Good luck, let us know if it gets to working.

3. DEADSTOCK

Yeah i d/l'd to my phone, i guess i could do it from my laptop when i get home tonight though.

4. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, you may be able to do it from your phone, but I just know I've done it several times the other way. Lol, I don't know how many roms I got saved on my laptop now.

5. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

If you downloaded it from your phone's browser (best way, imo. Less that can go wrong in the process), it will be in your downloads folder on your sd card. You'll need to just go into Astro or eStrongs and move it up one folder to the "root"/main level of your sd card. Boot into recovery, nandroid backup, factory and dalvik wipe and flash the rom.

6. DEADSTOCK

Thanks! I did the nandroid backup already. How do i do the factory and dalvik wipe?

7. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Use a file manager like astro to access your sd card. Open astro and go to Downloads. Long press kaosfroyov27.zip, select move. Go to the root of our sd card, press menu>edit>paste.
    Boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache.
    Go back to main menu, flash zip from sd card, select kaosfroyo.
    It might take a while to boot.

DEADSTOCK likes this.
  8. DEADSTOCK

Got it running, sooo awesome!! Thanks for the help everyone:)

Another quick question, how do i enable my swype?

9. NPH-

NPH- Well-Known Member

find wherever you have it installed (through astro or w/e file manager you are using), click on the apk, and install

then, go into settings, keyboard types, select swype,
    then on an input field, hold down and select input method, then select swype