Thinking about buying....General

Last Updated:

1. PatyCake

PatyCake Well-Known Member

I'm debating on this or the 7.7 Please convince me why i should get this cheaper model rather than dishing or more money for the 7.7
    (I am only going to buy a wifi only version)

2. 2ndaccord

2ndaccord Well-Known Member

There is no reason to get the 7.0 if you're willing to pay for the 7.7. The 7.7 is better in every way except the price. The 7.0 is going for 350 on amazon and the 7.7 is a couple of hundred more.
  3. jephdood

jephdood Active Member

The 7.0 is $299.99 at Best Buy..
  4. PatyCake

PatyCake Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, but i went to the store and found out that it is way too small. Im going to either get the 8.9 or 7.7
  5. csw

csw New Member

I think it depends what you want to use it for. When I went to the store I originally wanted a 7" tablet but when I saw it beside the 10" it was clear that the 10" was better for its screen size. The 7" just seemed too small. However, after considering what I originally intended to use it for I bought the 7 plus instead of the 10" tablet.

Some factors influencing my decision were:

* It was more portable and since I wanted to use it for work as well as for leisure I needed something I could carry onto job sites with me. If I wanted to use it only at home I probably would have gotten the 10" tablet.

* Price. I got it on sale for $299.

Comparing it with the 7.7 for me wasn't too much of a consideration. I live in Canada where the 7.7 isn't even an option right now unless I order it for about $600 online. That is way out of my price range.

In addition, I recently watched a comparison of the 7 plus and 7.7 on youtube and saw that the screen sizes were almost identical. I don't see the 0.7" extra screen size worth an additionl $300. It really does not make much difference and it makes it less portable.

Perhaps the 8.9" size would make more of a difference if you are looking for more screen size. That is also not available here so I could not compare it to the 7 plus.

Overall, I am happy with the 7 plus and find that it meets my needs. I am also an iphone user and so I am still getting used to the android experience. I find some quirky behaviors but nothing that I can not work with. I joined this forum to learn.

I appreciate the tablets ability to hook up anything usb to it, including a keyboard as I am typing this with a wireless keyboard on. I also hook the tab up to my canon camera with an app through the usb.

Another tidbit is that I can tether it to my iphone to surf the internet on 3g when I am not near wifi.

You won't be dissapointed with the 7+. If need portability go with the 7+. I don't think the 7.7 is worth the extra money. The 7+ works for me. If you don't need portability go with the 10.
  6. 2ndaccord

2ndaccord Well-Known Member

The 8.9 seems like the best compromise between the 7.0 and the 10.1. It still seems portable but not as inconvenient as carrying around a 10 inch tablet.
  7. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Gave a new iPad to my wife as a gift. I played with it and decided it would be nice to get a tablet for myself. Since I am already in the android ecosystem I decided to get a galaxy tab 7+. The 7" is a perfect size for me. In portrait mode it is the perfect size to thumb type. I can just fit it into my fanny pack or breast pocket of my jacket. Bought for $299 on sale at Best Buy.

Build quality is similar. Comparing the Tab 7+ to the iPad, the display difference goes without saying. There is also a noticeable difference in software; Apple stuff just works. Period. Android may have more choices but there is a lot of finicky problems.

For example, the Galaxy Tab stock browser gave me a lot of grief, pages loaded slowly or not at all. Some pages were not zoom able. I had to test out opera, dolphin before settling on Boat Browser. Even now the videos may or may not stream smoothly. A week into ownership and I still get inconsistent results. On the other hand the iPad browser has been flawless. However very little customization or settings. I would love to be able to wrap text like on my tab. However with iPad the browsing experience is very enjoyable while there is an unpredictability with the tab. Even on the same wifi router network the videos on the iPad are always smooth while the Galaxy tab videos are unpredictable.

EDIT: I just checked the apple app store. There are the same free browsers to try. So I can probably get the wrap text in iPad if I so choose. But I would prefer not to add a second browser. On the other hand, the galaxy stock browser was so crappy I had to go out and spend a lot of time to find a replacement.

Although I am already familiar with Android, it took me about 5 days to set up my Tab to get it to work the way I liked. I had to do one factory reset. Because of the fragmentation in android, my familiarity with my LG phone did not help with my transition to the Tab. On the other hand even though I was new to an iPad I was completely up in running in about 5 hours (ie with all my data, calendars, contacts, similar apps set up). There may be fewer choices (i can see that certin things are restrictive eg file management) but everything was just more intuitive and easier to set up and work well. On the other hand, with the Tab it seems I have to look and try many alternatives to get things to work properly.

I like using the ipad at home. But As much as I like the ipad there is no way i would carry one around. If there was an iPad mini or super sized iPod touch, I probably would have made the switch.
  8. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

I wanted the 8.9 originally until I discovered there was NO SD SLOT in the 8.9

The 7.7 is not much bigger than the 7.0 + , last time I compared the dimensions, anyhow. But the resolution is nicer.
  9. OmarXme

OmarXme New Member

You ppl! there r too many reasons to consider the 7.7 over the 7plus, I own the 7plus so I can judge... the 7.7 got such a GREAT resolution, u can't c the true awesomeness unless u watch a movie or something on it, watching the screen resolution on youtube will lead u nowhere, you've gotta try by urself! The 7.7 got a 4G LTE network, lemme give u the difference.. well at least in my country.. 3G downloads at 7 mb/s
    while 4G downloads at 100 mb/s , c n judge the difference. There is a difference in the size ofc.. it may not be that much.. but still its cool.. n thinner! btw... the frame of the tab is really small unlike the 7plus, so there is more glass... thats why u cant notice the difference but still its bigger n its 7.7 inch. the battery life is awesome! I can stay 2 days with TOUGH work on the 7.7. The processor is abit better, it really helps when ur opening too much stuff. Even the camera, its the same as the 7plus , but becuz of the super AMOLED plus display of the 7.7, u may feel its better (or at least I feel its better), it has such a great look.. n it has a metal cover now, excluding the 2 plastic covers at the top n bottom for the antenna.. and btw the back cover is all anti-scratch and anti-fingerprints! Its a great choice, n its the best tablet in performance n resolution after the iPad3 and the new transformer prime, and the best 7" tablet I'd even use nowadays!
  10. MrMojo

MrMojo Member

You can say whatever you want but not every country has the 7.7" version available.

In the U.S., only Verizon has the Data 7.7" version. That's it! And it cost a lot of money. :mad:

Sure, the 7Plus doesn't have the better screen resolution or the upgraded processor/components but it's good enough. It's a good starter Android tablet for those of us!

One thing I have experienced is that Apple's iOS has spoiled us who previously had an iPad. We have to look for different apps to best use with Android instead of the stock versions found on the iPad which is very SIMPLE to use compared to the Android versions.

For example... the iPad's media or video player was EASY to use but there's lots of Android media/video players available but they can play more file formats than Apple's players. Even using the stock browser needs time getting used to so that I had to find/download Dolphin or whatever browser to use and compare compared to Safari. Apple's iOS spoiled us for its SIMPLICITY even though it really limited our choices of the content and file types we can use.

I guess that's the price we pay to switch from iOS to Android.

But I digress...
    The 7Plus is a good deal and a much better deal than the newer 2 7" with its slower processor and weakened cameras. Many reviewers already speculate that the 7Plus will beat the newer 2 7" model with ICS since the 7Plus' components are much better.

Good luck in finding the GT7Plus New since it's already been pulled from stores!
  11. sulasno

sulasno Well-Known Member

best of 2 worlds; get the Galaxy Tab Note :)
  12. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Last I checked amazon is a US based company, and the p6800, with at&t's HSPA bands, has been available for several months via it's many US based vendors.

As far as the Tab 7.0 Plus, the T-Mobile (USA) version may be the only version supporting HSPA on multiple carriers (at&t/T-Mo...I'm personally using it on both). Added benefit here is I get HSPA data on at&t on the $15/mo. MediaNet plan.
  13. MrMojo

MrMojo Member

I've already checked with Amazon and some of those retailers...
    Those GT7.7 models are imports.

I've also emailed Samsung and it said that Verizon is the ONLY "Official" seller of the data version of the GT7.7 in the USA.

Other websites have reviewed the GT7.7 and basically noted the same thing about where/how to purchase it... through Verizon.
  14. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Fair enough however cellular data in the US is still a possibility, and the devices are accessible.
  15. MrMojo

MrMojo Member

For the GT7Plus, yes, it's capable of making phone calls via apps like Skype since it has a microphone.