Thinking about debranding...Some questions xDSupport

Last Updated:

1. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was thinking about debranding so I can get the update as soon as it's released :)

So I was wondering if some of you would be so kind as to answer some questions for me :)

1. First of all, does anybody have a link for an X10i debrand guide :)
    2. What are the advantages of debranding
    3. what are the disadvantages of debranding
    4. Are there any known problems after debranding
    5. Can it be undone?

I am on T-Mobile UK and don't want to wait till the end of November to update as I want HD video recording before my baby is born :D

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
  2. huntleth

huntleth Well-Known Member

This is the one I used:

Debrand your Xperia X10 [Tutorial] | Xperia X10 Blog

Pro's: You get the updates before people who have branded software.
    Con's: Void your warranty

If you do the tutorial wrongly, then you will have to redo it, but I've not heard of anyone bricking a phone like this.

3. CuBz

Can it be undone?

4. slugpace

slugpace Well-Known Member

This could well be out of date now CuBz, I couldn't see anything for ****026 firmware. Also read the comments, in particular no.343 to 351.

There is a link in the mentioned comments to a (solved) method on xda

5. CuBz

Well I don't trust anything other than XDA for these kinds of things anyway lol

6. huntleth

huntleth Well-Known Member

This method isn't 'out of date' all it does is replace firmware, and then you can run the phone through SEUS again to update.

Yes it can be undone so long as you have a copy of the original branded firmware.

7. slugpace

slugpace Well-Known Member

8. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

1. Follow steps 1-5 HERE, then run SEUS which will update you to R2BA026.

2. Removes all the carrier crap giving you a generic firmware just how S.E intended it.

3. NONE imho.

4. Nope.

5. Yes. But you will need to locate a branded FW and learn how to reflash it.

9. CuBz

Thanks everyone but I think I'll leave it, because I don't really want to void my warranty, I probably wouldn't be able to brand it again if something happened and I don't want to take that risk.

Thanks anyway

10. AcidSentance

AcidSentance Active Member

I de-branded my Vodafone AU Xperia after reading through this thread and jeez, it performs so much better now! Absolutely loving it.

11. bra1n

bra1n Member

I too was bit worried about rooting. Today i finaly decided to do it. Phone is insured for just about everything so thought what the hell.
    I followed the same guide x10iuser said very straight forward, only had 1 problem with step 2 "device not found". After few attempts at step 2 it worked.
    I went from vodafone 024 too rooted 026 and am very happy. Thanks too all info on this forum and xda so many helpfull peeps.

12. PSSurgenor

PSSurgenor New Member

Okay, If I understand fully - This can NOT brick my phone?, it will take all that UK Vodafone stuff off my phone, but will void my non existent warranty (I bought my X10 off ebay :)) Think I'm about to head of an do this now, I'm really desperate to get this 2.1 update ASAP & dont wanna have Vodafone release it while I'm abroad in December - that would suck!

13. CuBz

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys :) lol only joking....does anyone know if it can be reverted back to T-Mobile UK after being debranded, just incase I need use of my warranty (if I can)

14. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

If you read the instructions, you will notice at one point you need to delete two files and replace them with the generic files. Technically, if you save those two files before you delete them, you should be able to reflash them on your phone if you want the branded firmware back, although some people couldn't do it, or at least they posted this and never updated if they could do it...

15. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

OK, Coming in for a quick Hi-Jack, LOL! Questions, if I debrand my phone (x10a #016 with AT&T), will it still work with AT&T? If yes, do I need to do anything special? Also, will I be able to get the #026 upgrade and will all of my upgrades now come direct from SE?

Looking to get my phone to a better level quick! Thanks!

16. AcidSentance

AcidSentance Active Member

As long as you have the firmware I don't see why it's not possible. Finding it may prove difficult.

Yes it will still work with AT&T (don't see how they're different from any other carrier). If you use SEUS it will prompt you to download the #026 firmware and any further updates will be done through that.

... I think :D

17. f891roy

f891roy Well-Known Member

CuBz,
    I didnt use the methods any of these guys did. I paid for mine. It takes 13mins from the second u paypal them, download the client, connect etc..... You can also revert back to orginal. Only difference i seen was the purity and create??!!? apps where gone. Check the tutorial out here and find the client here

Key thing is, it is extremely easy to do and you can revert back again.

18. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

Hello to all you GURU out there. Can I get a confirmation, that if I follow the instructions provided by "X10iUser" above, I will still be connected to AT&T for service. Is this automatic, or must I do additional steps to make this happen. I want to do this, but I'm just trying to cover all of the bases before I leap..

Thanks!

19. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

As long as you still have your AT&T SIM card inside the phone you will automatically connect to AT&T

all the debranding does is take off the LOCK to AT&T Firmware

20. X10iUser

Correct. Until the bootloader gets cracked the chances of it being bricked doing anything are next to none.

As I said above, you can yes, but you will need to source the FW, although not sure why anyone would want to.

Using the method I've posted there is an extra step for those with the X10a which is explained in the guide.

WHY, when you can do it for free. :confused:

21. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

Oh and to point out, all mod's done to my phone in the last 2 weeks were done with guidance from X10iUser

So go with it, he knows what he's talking about

22. X10iUser

:eek:

23. werthers

werthers Well-Known Member

Sorry to go over anything that's been said before but if I debrand I don't have to save any details like interweb connection do I, I can just use the automatic network operators thing?

24. f891roy

f891roy Well-Known Member

Cos even with the guide it didnt work... and i am a stupid paddy :D

it was only a tenner so its not gonna break the bank....unlike the tax and insurance i have to pay today for my 2 cars and bike :mad::mad::mad:

25. X10iUser

Yes. The method I've posted will flash UK generic FW so the settings should come with the phone.

werthers likes this.