Thinking about ditching my 3GS for the Captivate

Last Updated:

1. waltflanagansdog

waltflanagansdog New Member This Topic's Starter

The hardware alone is a nice upgrade. But I've also had my interest into the Android platform piqued by the Dell Streak. The only problem with that, is by all accounts is it will ship with v1.6, with an update coming later this year, and no internal storage. Only expandable to 16gb with micro SD.

Any reasons in particular to give my wife my iphone and pick up the Captivate?

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

I made that very jump and debated between the streak and the captivate myself. I couldn't be happier. This phone, with a few tweaks is phenomenal. It's fast. And the screen is gorgeous. I've got a co worker considering jumping form the Iphone 4 to this.

3. waltflanagansdog

waltflanagansdog New Member This Topic's Starter

Rob, how does the battery life compare to your 3GS? I would consider my self a moderate to heavy user and get a full day on a single charge on my 3GS. That is to say that I plug my 3GS in when I go to bed around midnight and unplug first thing around 6:30am.

4. haison

haison Active Member

I also made the jump from the 3GS to the Captivate and am very happy with it. I am a heavy smart phone user and I am connected to wifi at home and run 3G at work. I also have bluetooth activated all the time. The iPhone 3GS would be dead within 4 hours for me and the Captivate battery indicator turned red on me after about 6 hours.

The screen is beautiful. The blacks are very black and the colors are very vibrant. I did not really notice how beautiful the screen was until i uploaded some pictures to the internal storage and it is just amazing what the super AMOLED screen looks like (pictures of playing golf straight out of my Nikon D3 on a late afternoon). I would say that the Captivate's brightness is at 60% matches the iPhone 3GS at 100%. The phone has 2GB internal storage, 16GB interal SD storage, and I just ordered another 16GB for external SD storage so I can transfer data without connecting to USB cable.

I just really like having lots of customizable options with this phone and that is why I didn't fancy the iPhone 4 too much.

rob989_69,
    what are these tweaks you speak of? I would like to know them also.

5. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

I just made the switch from my iphone to a captivate. There is a little learning curve but after two days I can honestly say I would not go back in a second. There is something to be said for having a device that you can customize and use the way you want to not how the manufacturer thinks you should.

6. naxir

naxir Well-Known Member

I had a 3Gs and gave it to my wife when I got my captivate. There are a couple things that aren't polished and are imperfect, but there seems to be work arounds for most if not all. I haven't regretted my choice yet. She's planning to put a pink case on it though :(

7. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Battery life so far is actually better than my 3gs. I've gotten a day plus of very heavy use so far.

As far as tweaks, I've got it rooted, I'm done the hack to allow non market apps. I've installed LauncherPro Beta to speed up the launcher. SetCPU to set my CPU to 1ghz all the time. Tweaked the GPS settings to pick up my location faster. That's about it.

Everything I've done can be found her as well. I'm brand new to the android scene and it's pretty easy to pick up.

8. voogru

voogru Active Member