• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about doing a hard reset

mj_b90

Dec 26, 2009
Even just after rebooting, I rarely see more than 50MB of available memory and am usually running at around 25MB. My Eris doesn't get laggy too often, but I'd like to see if I can eliminate that completely. I'm thinking a hard reset may be the best way to start over now that I know what I'm doing with the phone. I don't want to lose my data, but I also don't really care about backing up apps since that's what's causing the problems. Also, my download list will still be in the market for the apps that I am happy with, correct? So would a program like Sprite Backup cover pretty much everything else?

Has anyone else done this with good results? Or did you go right back to the same performance you were getting before?

Did the reset, programmed the phone and set up facebook and 2 email accounts.
Deleted all the default home screen widgets except the weather/clock.
I installed quick system info and checked my available memory. 40.29MB :-/
Whats the deal? Some people talk about running with 70-80MB free and talk about 30MB like thats rock bottom for them. Why am I stuck near there even with a brand new set-up?

Is something else stored in ram other than just running processes? Could the amount of email I've retrieved make a difference?

Upvote 0
Ya I'm usually running at 70-90 mbs but that wasnt until I started using the Autokill feature on Taskiller. Ya I know someone is gonna read this and go O NO YOU CANT USE A TASK MANAGER ON ANDROID, but I say God Bless you :)
I have the following running= sense, htc weather, gmail, spare parts, fox news, lookout, lockbot, google genie, swype, handscent, hotmail, while running tk(not atk) and have 54 mb left, 86 after killing what is not being used while still getting sms and mail.

Upvote 0
I wonder if this is one of those things that one should not sweat. I looked in settings/sd card & phone storage and I showed 98mb of available space under Internal Phone Storage. Then I brought up Advanced Task Manager to see what all I had running. There was a fairly long list, and some which I didn't need to be running so I killed 5 of them. I then went back to look, and I had 98mb of available space - no change, even though processes have been killed.
That makes me think that one of three things is true.
1) I'm not looking in the same place you guys are to see the available number.
2) The 'available space' number isn't entirely accurate/consistently updated.
3) (my personal favorite) OfTheDamned has been right all along (I never doubted her) and the operating system allocates memory as needed. Those apps that I killed weren't currently active, and therefore didn't need any memory, so the OS had not alloted them any.

Just for the record, according to ATM My running apps are
Aldiko
Handcent
dxTop (another home replacement - and the one I'm actually using)
Battery Life
Beautiful Widgets
Weatherbug
Settings
providers.htccdma
ATM

Upvote 0
I think you guys are looking at a couple of different things. When you go into Settings > SD Card & phone storage and look at Available space under Internal phone storage, that is the available amount of ROM on your phone. This is the amount of application memory that you have. It is different from the RAM that you have on your phone, which is the memory used for running apps. The Eris comes with 256 MB of ROM which is chopped down to 159 MB of available space after the OS is on there. It comes with 288 MB of RAM available for running the programs, including the OS. So you need to make sure of what you are really looking at when you are talking about your memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones