Thinking about getting a HTC Dream

Last Updated:

1. johnny_26188

johnny_26188 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this whole thing and I was thinking about getting a HTC Dream from Rogers. I had a couple of questions that I was hoping some of you could help me with before I make my purchase.

I am currently a student and can't afford to get a data plan...however I am thinking about getting unlimited mobile browser.

My questions are:
    1. Can I use things such as google maps without a data plan (or what features of the phone won't I be able to use without a data plan?)
    2. Can I use these features if I am in an area with wifi?
    3. With mobile browser, I can only go on WAP sites?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

you will need a data plan to get maps and browse ... I doubt you have a WiFi that can follow you around as you try to travel .....

3. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

As far as I know...the browser is a full browser...
    So you would be able to browse web sites as if you were on a normal computer....

You will definitely need a data plan of some sort as justjimjpc said in order to ensure you will be able to browse and use maps when you are not in a Wi-Fi zone...

4. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

If you're always on your college campus (which usually has free wifi for students) you will be able to use all the features that require data. However, once you step off campus into an area without wifi, you'll pretty much just have a fancy phone. Welcome to the forums, btw! :)

5. johnny_26188

johnny_26188 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, I will be on campus most of the time. So based on what I've heard I'll be able to pretty much use all of the functions with wi-fi.

For times when I'm not on campus, will mobile browser be of much use? I'll be able to check my gmail or get updates on sports with it right? So it would be relatively useful for simple things I'm assuming?