Thinking about going nakedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've now gone through a few handsets because of various issues. Knowing the last one would be replaced because of a bad earpiece I decided to go without a case and screen protector for a few days. I have to say it was pretty nice. The screen is so slick without a screen protector and generally quite a bit more resistant to fingerprints. It also feels perfect in the hand. The Seidio Innocase I have is about as small as you can get in a case and yet it still adds enough bulk to notice a difference.

The only problem I have is that it seems a lot of dust and dirt seem to collect in the corners of the phone where the back snaps onto the body. And I noticed more dust was getting under the back cover when I wasn't using a case. That's a bit of a concern. I also know that the little chrome accents tend to scuff and scratch when you look at them the wrong way. And of course there is the issue of scratching the screen. Seems fairly unlikely with care. But it doesn't take but a tiny piece of sand or something to make a nice mark.

Just wondering, for those of you who don't use a case or screen protector, how is your phone holding up overall? Any problems with dust in the phone? Any major screen scratches? Are the chrome accents looking pretty rough? I've had the model itself for a few months and don't feel quite as stressed about going naked. Time is flying fast anyway and i'll be up for another annual upgrade in December.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

I get crap inside the back cover and all over the battery and all. I just gently air-dust it away and it's good.

I have a ghetto method of cleaning around the screen and it's to use the edges of a piece of plain paper to kinda scrape it out of the nooks and crannies. Works for me.

Otherwise my phone has held up well over the past five months of use. But I haven't dropped it either and I don't plan to, so that might be another thing to consider. How often your drop your phone. Some people seem to have picked it up as a hobby recently.

3. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I bought the innocase as well and used it for 1 day. It kept dust in place and got in-between the phone and itself and caused more grime imo. I do use a Seido screen protector and it has several scratches on it.

I've had mine for +2 months now?and it's held up very well! The only wear on it I see is the black paint on the ear piece grill has rubbed off (from setting phone down that way) and now it shows silver instead of black. No biggie though. I'm a contractor and my Eris see's sheetrock dust, sawdust, paint splatters, etc...Once a week I take some ammonia, dab a cloth in it, and rub it clean....it looks great! very durable for me. I've dropped it twice now and battery flew out case back flew off. I love it's form factor and prefer naked!

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I use a rubber/silicone case around it (ebay for $10). I got rid of all screen protectors months ago. No problems. Dropped it a few times, but the case gives it enough protection, even if it lands face down. I just don't put it in my pocket with keys.

5. TheProfessional

TheProfessional Well-Known Member

I used to be very OCD about ALL my electronic equipment. Laptops, phones, etc... I've slowly accepted the fact that these things are meant to be used and not babied. And because they are supposed to be used, they will get scratches, they will get little blemishes. ESPECIALLY PHONES. Now i don't use any kind of protective case at all on anything i own.

I started to see a pattern. I would baby my phone, and then when by the time i got a new one it would be practically blemish and scratch free, but it would just end up in my drawer with all my other overly cared for phones and electronic equipment.

Unless you're the type of person that is going to resell your phone, i feel there's really no practical need to put it in a protective bubble.

As far as any kind of "damage", the only thing that has been a little annoying is the black paint rubbing off on the earpiece speaker. Other than that the touch screen is virtually scratch-proof. And the back of the phone is pretty hard to scratch because of the rubberized coating.

6. eriscentro

eriscentro Well-Known Member

You can get a silicone case for only a dollar on ebay. I bought an iPhone case for my phone for only 5 bucks, and I bought a generic rubber covered plastic case for 4 and change.

7. owlmatt

owlmatt Well-Known Member

I say go naked. I bought a top of the line screen protector and that's all I use. I've dropped it a few time and all still good.

The reason I picked this phone over the droid is because I'm shallow and it looks a ton better, (and I don't need a physical keyboard) and using a case ruins my whole reason for buying it.

Though I will still sell it when I get my Incredible!

8. Mechmess

Mechmess Member

I went naked a couple months ago and it was the best decision I ever made. So freeing! ;)

On a serious note though- I dont have a scratch on my phone! This thing is very durable... granted I haven't ever dropped it.

9. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks guys. i might have to do it. if i did get a scratch on the screen it would be pretty devastating. then again i shouldn't really care. i am on my 4th Eris and this one is probably a refurb anyway. some of the chrome parts were slightly scuffed already. i like how the last replacement had blue sticky on the chrome parts. kept that on the whole time. couldn't even really tell. must have been a new one. or maybe just a new housing. that one was manufactured in february or march. the current one was manufactured in november. which suggests it's probably a refurb.

10. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Naked is good. Just try not to be arrested.
    .P.

11. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

I've had my phone since december - no case.

I've dropped it 2 or 3 times, once onto a kitchen floor at work right on the screen. So far the screen is fine, no scratches, cracks, chips.

I leave it in my pocket all day, and at night it sits on my nightstand charging.

The phone has a capacative (glass) screen, which is quite resiliant. The matte rubberized exterior also prevents scratches from being seen/noticed.

tl;dr - your phone will be fine without a screen protector.

12. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Got my Eris in October and started with a screen protector and case. In December I decided to go Naked and haven't looked back. It's so invigorating having all the extra layers on , go the way the creator intended and free yourself..

13. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

I was thinking of going naked too, but then I would have no place to put the phone...

jvolzer likes this.
  14. HSenior

HSenior Active Member

I just got my eris today early in the morning (!!!) and I have yet to take off the protector film thingy that came with it. I have no intention of removing it until my case and screen protectors arrive tomorrow via FedEx.

I did get a bit ballsy though and removed the protector over the camera lens.

15. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

I'm naked.

Well, I mean, my phone is..

16. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

17. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

but your avatar has a picture of your phone wearing pink! :eek:

18. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

I changed a few habits with regard to where things are in pockets, such that my left pocket is now just my phone pocket (plus receipts and the odd bit of cash, when applicable). Lighter, smokes, keys, everything else goes in right pocket now. Haven't had any problems in a month and a half of phone nudity. I think there's one wee mysterious scratch on the screen that you can even see if you hold the phone just so during the right hour of the day, but even with a couple of low altitude tumbles, my Eris looks as it did when the blessed FedEx guy brought it here.

19. mhrebin

mhrebin Well-Known Member

i had a seidio case and i liked it for a bit but then i realized I like the phone just the way it is better so I have not been using anything on it. I love it and will probably sell the 3 cases I have for my phone.lol Any takers?

** have been naked for roughly two months and the screen is perfect still.**

20. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member

21. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

It's red, from Xmas time, which is when that picture was taken. Too lazy to take a new one. :p

I'm in love with how small the phone is without a case.

22. chassum

chassum Well-Known Member

bought the Eris in December. One big selling point was the look & feel of the naked phone, so I've kept it that way. Great pocketablility without a case - horizontal in shirt pocket is perfect. Occasionally need to use soft rag to clean screen after the grandkids have been using it. I am starting to notice some of the black is coming off the earphone cover at the top - no big deal.

23. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

I have never put a case/screen protector on my phone and I never will. I take care of my phone. I never drop it and I always slip it into a pocket by itself so it doesn't get scratched by keys or anything else. I got my Eris on launch day and it looks like the day I bought it, that includes the screen. What's the point of protecting such a nice looking phone if you never get to see it under all that crap?

24. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%!!!!

25. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Naked is definitely the way to go ... way more comfortable. And the way I see it, a phone is something to make use of, not to just sit back and admire -- so a few scratches and dings are no big deal. Most of us will toss them after two years, anyway.

That said, though -- my Eris is tough! I've had it for roughly three months now, and it's spent much of its time in my jeans pocket, and it still looks as good as new.