• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about going naked

mine's been naked since the day we met in feb.. i have one very light scratch on the screen and a little white paint in the crack between the screen and body both inflicted while building my house, so I'd say she's stood the test okay. my old chocolate looked like it could have been used in a war

Upvote 0
WE'RE GOING STREAKING!!!!!!!

LOL, Frank the Tank

I was all anal about my eris for the first few months until I read on another forum that the touchscreen was more resilient than most people think and screen protectors are a waste of money. Besides that there's the bubbles, the curling edges and the cloudy appearance. I got all naked and love it. Only issue is the smearing on the touchscreen occasionally after a lot of use, but a quick wipe and it's shiny and new looking again.
I have never used a hard case but keep my eris in a snap pouch on my belt at work. It still looks good apart from a couple of drops on concrete which roughed up the edges, doh!

Upvote 0
I've had my phone since december and have never used a case. I do get dust/dirt inside the back cover but fortunately its very easy to clean. I've also dropped my phone onto concrete quite a few times and the only damage is a scuff on the outside of the phone. No damage ever affected the screen. I really dig the feel of the phone without a case and probably won't ever consider a case.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about getting dressed. I am one of those that always wants to preserve my gear as well as possible. However, the Eris is a device that is just so gorgeous and feels soooo good to hold that I am loathe to cover it up.

But if I don't cover it up, how long will it stay like this? But if its covered up it wont matter what it looks like anyway because you wont be able to see it! Decisions decisions!

Upvote 0
Mine is currently not naked, but if I use the 3500 mAh battery, I have no choice anyway.

I'm not really concerned about scratching or scraping the device. But I am completely protective when it comes to the screen. Especially since its a touch screen. I think its OCD.

I put a screen protector on my phone when I first got it, and for the most part, there were no scratches on the cover, up until when the cover decided to fall off. It also papercut my finger somehow. But anyway, the trackball stopped working, so I thought, I might as well go naked without the screen cover until I get my replacement. 4 days later, the screen is completely scratched up. I have no idea how, but it was completely messed up, to the point you could actually feel it when you moved your finger across the screen.

From that point on, I don't trust myself without a screen protector. When I got my replacement, I put a new one on immediately. I was pretty proud of myself this time, since it has no bubbles and the edges are all completely on.

Upvote 0
I use a case on my eris got it for 5 bucks at Verizon, I don't trust my self enough to not have one one ill drop it sometimes and im sure the case saved my eris and she's still running smoothly. I never needed screen protection, I don't think it needs it with all the falls my eris has taken, screen remains still with no scratches looking brand spanking new!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I get crap inside the back cover and all over the battery and all. I just gently air-dust it away and it's good.

I have a ghetto method of cleaning around the screen and it's to use the edges of a piece of plain paper to kinda scrape it out of the nooks and crannies. Works for me.

Otherwise my phone has held up well over the past five months of use. But I haven't dropped it either and I don't plan to, so that might be another thing to consider. How often your drop your phone. Some people seem to have picked it up as a hobby recently.

I use the same method, and it works really well. Glad I'm not the only one :)

As far as any kind of "damage", the only thing that has been a little annoying is the black paint rubbing off on the earpiece speaker.

I eventually took all of the black paint stuff off with some scotch tape, the ear speaker is totally silver now, and it looks pretty natural. When it started coming off, I gave it the equivalent of a comb over; I used a Sharpie to re-color . Finally, I just said screw it.

Now, no case at all, just the screen protector from December, and a weekly cleaning with a damp microfiber cloth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones