• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about joining army

I don't mean to sound elitist, but IME the thing that kept me out of military service was the fact that all of my family members from my parents' generation served as commissioned officers. Also, all of my family members from that generation, plus all of their sons and daughters had masters level college degrees.

Before I entered high school, I wanted to be an airline pilot, and noticed that most of the airlines at the time were hiring military aviators. So my plan was to apply for the Air Force Academy and become commissioned into the Air Force. In the meantime I joined the Civil Air Patrol when I became old enough, and spent many of my evenings drilling in dark parking lots and not much more. (Our CAP unit sucked.)

At that time we were winding down the Vietnam War, which was (and still is) considered by most to be the final word on how to do everything wrong. The prevailing attitude at the time was that the US had learned its lesson, and wouldn't go lightly into war in my lifetime, so that wasn't a consideration for many. Also, the then-mew and scary draft registration laws that was threatening 18-year-olds with hard prison time if they didn't register for the draft "just so" wasn't winning much support for the military. I had a friend who had a brief fling with the idea of enlisting, but because I was already the black sheep of the family, I wasn't going to be the first enlisted man in the family. That's how it went, right, wrong or otherwise.

By the time I got into high school, I discovered that I lacked the will to keep my grades artificially high to give me that shot for the Academy, and by the time I graduated, I was ready for a break from structured education. When I did enter college, I found out from my ROTC friends that I wouldn't be let near the flight controls of a military plane unless I has a degree in mechanical or mechanical-aerospace engineering. As an electrical engineering major, I might qualify as a "back seater" but not an actual pilot. That ended all hope for my military career.

I have cousins who joined the Army (one joined the Navy) mainly for the financial benefits. They all fulfilled their first enlistment contract and quit the military for good. None of them saw action, and didn't use their cash bonuses for higher education. I don't much care for the ignorant jingoism that they didn't have before enlistment. It looks to me like they got more of an indoctrination than an education.

Since you have money already, my advice is to use it to get yourself a good education. That way you're not going to have any problems with your personal concerns about communal living, and you won't have to worry about strings attached, or budget cuts that may remove the benefits that you want. The post Cold War "peace dividend" cut salaries and benefits for those who served, while increasing spending on materiel. IJS.

Upvote 0
Im ready for a change. Im tired of driving this truck 60 hours a week. Not tired of working a lot... just tired of driving all day every day. Its so boring and unhealthy. Theres not much of a lively future in it. Sure i can be financially free. Save up a lot of money and retire. But wheres the life? I can be a truck driver all my life. Be 350 pounds by 40. Make $15-20 an hour until im 65. Then be some fat guy that sits on the couch and watches TV.

Or i can spend all the money ive earned in the last 2 years on college. Probably graduate, then work 9-5/40 hr weeks. I can earn a lot more money. Be a bit happier. Unfortunately i dont have the slightest of a social life. Never have. Waking up and driving to work every morning is something i hate. 9-5 based lifestyle makes me depressed. Even when i go home to visit, i get depressed.

Joining the Army is something i may never get to do if i dont do it soon. The thing i like most about truck driving is that its a lifestyle + a job. There is no wake up and drive to work. Cant wait til my 8 hours is up so i can go home. Its wake up, and im at work. Work until im done. Is the army like this too? I wake up and get to work? This is the type of lifestyle i like.

I hate the ordinary 40 hour week lifestyle. I dont go out at all. If im not working, im sitting around waiting for the next day. Before i started truck driving, life was very depressing. But the lifestyle is decent, aside from being so unhealthy.

There are plenty of reasons to join the Army:
Money and college funds.
Fitness and health.
Having the feeling of accomplishment, and valuing myself.
Being respected by others.
Being able to say i served my country, and being a veteran.
Not working a 40 hour week lifestyle.
Firearms training and being able to shoot weapons.

My life needs changed. If i dont join the military this year, ill probably end up driving the truck for the next year. I cant see myself going to college without financial aid. It just costs too much. Im not worried about losing a year or 2 out of my life. After a few months of truck driving, i felt like my life was on hold. And i still do. My life is literally "Wake up. Wash my face. Drive. Fuel. Drive. Park. Browse the forums and youtube. Sleep." With load/unload trailer in there somewhere. This is my every day life. Its not much of a life. By joining the Army, id be gaining livelihood. Unless i physically lose my life of course, but i dont want to go there.

Upvote 0
Joining the Army is something i may never get to do if i dont do it soon. The thing i like most about truck driving is that its a lifestyle + a job. There is no wake up and drive to work. Cant wait til my 8 hours is up so i can go home. Its wake up, and im at work. Work until im done. Is the army like this too? I wake up and get to work? This is the type of lifestyle i like.

I did the reserves, so I'm not sure about active duty beyond basic training and AIT. But that is what Basic is like. It's zero dark thirty until 10PM every day. You get a few hours off on Sunday which feels like an eternity.

You are marching somewhere or drilling something or doing PMCS or cleaning or polishing. But there is a competitive vibe about it. Who has the shiniest boots, who's wall locker is neatest, who's bunk is made the best. Pulling fire duty at 3:00 AM in the barracks and having an hour or two to quietly chit chat with a person you would never have talked to in the civilian world because they weren't like you, only to find out you have more in common than you though.

Getting a chance to hit the barracks for twenty minutes and being able to nap for 18 minutes without scuffing your boots or wrinkling your bunk.

Yeah, all that sound daunting, but as I said in my earlier post, I enjoyed it and look back fondly on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones