• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thinking about performing a factory reset. Help on what to back up.

danmil05

Jan 23, 2010
NJ
So after reading some posts about how some people are doing factory resets, i though i might try it. I know some people are doing it because they noticed something wrong after the ICS update. With me, i noticed some of the music files on the phone can't be played. Other then that i have no problems but if theres some slight advantage on doing a factory reset (other then my music problem) like the phone preforming faster, them i'll do it.

Now on what might be deleted. (also, i have not rooted or flashed anything on my phone):

I know contacts will be backed up. I just want to know if the music and pictures (on the sd card) will be deleted. Also, i want to know if i moved my apps from the phone storage to the sd card will prevent them from deleting. If not, will the progress on the apps be deleted. I don't want to start Angry Birds from the beginning again.

So, i think to only thing i'm worried about deleting is music, pictures and apps. If i can save the settings on my phone it would be awesome. If i can't, no big deal.

My experience was that all my contacts, music, and pictures were saved. I lost all my apps and had to reinstall. However, google's Dashboard made that easier since it kept a list of all my apps and I was able to save a lot of time reinstalling them from there.

My experience is that the reset did resolve many issues, not perfectly, but well enough for me to stop complaining in general.

To prepare for the reset I backed my entire phone storage to my desk top computer. Make sure you do this just in case.

Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones