Thinking about rooting, but have a few questions...Support

1. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Been reading about rooting and using giantpune's one-click app:
    http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/612914-optimus-elite-root-apk.html

I want to root my OE so I can remove bloatware and use apps that require root. (I have NO intentions of using clockwork or installing themes, ROMs, etc.)

I have these questions:

1) If I root with giantpune's app, will it removes all the apps I currently have installed?

2) If I decide I want it back to original after root, is there a SIMPLE way to do that?

3) Will I still be able to do any updates to the phone that Virgin may put out?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

1. no

2. not as simple as rooting but it's not difficult

3. yes
    fishinabarrel and Murf1 like this.
  3. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

So if I rooted, and did nothing else, that act alone should not "break" any of my functionality be it Virgin related or otherwise?

From what I read, it looks like it just gives me "permissions" to alter/access the system files. I could root and do nothing else different and the phone should function as before root (presuming I don't download a virus or something that hi-jacks my "root").
  4. Dark One

Yeah you're exactly right. Rooting basically just gives you administrator access to your phone so you can make more changes if you want, but the act of rooting doesn't change anything.

If you ever need to send your phone back to Virgin or sell it or something and want to unroot, here's how -

http://androidforums.com/elite-all-...phone-using-official-tools-dll-bin-files.html

Also I strongly strongly recommend installing clockworkmod, flashing GP's kernel, overclocking, and changing the governor to Interactive or SmartassV2. It will make your phone perform sooo much better and it's easy to do. The default governor is OnDemand, but that is like the worst performing governor I have tried on this phone.
    fishinabarrel and Murf1 like this.
  5. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Is "changing the governor to Interactive or SmartassV2" something that can be done without doing the other things mentioned (and easy)?

I'm a tech guy, developer by trade (windows environment), but know basically nothing of Android. So I don't want to monkey with it too much. I be glad to just remove some bloat.

Thanks for the advice. :)
  6. Dark One

In order to change the governor or overclock you need GP's kernel. You don't need clockworkmod to flash the kernel but it's a lot easier than the alternative, and having clockworkmod is important on a rooted phone anyway because it makes it easy to fix any mistakes that you might make with the phone.

Installing clockworkmod and flashing the new kernel are both very easy.

And here's the thread for the kernel. Just download the latest version and put it on your sd card, and then "install zip from sd card" in clockworkmod.

http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/621710-giantpunes-custom-kernel.html
  7. miediev

miediev Well-Known Member

It can be done, but not as easily. Changing the governor can be done with an app, once the kernel has been installed. Without CWM you have to install the kernel using adb on your computer or a terminal emulator on your phone.

CWM allows you to backup your phone and restore if something goes terribly wrong. Its as easy to install on this phone as it is to root.

I believe that SuperSU allows you to unroot, I don't know if Superuser has the same option. They are both apps that allow you to control what other apps are allowed root access and when.
    Murf1 likes this.
  8. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I have used CWM on a Kyros Android tablet. But for some reason when I was reading about it on here, it appeared to me to be more complex to use or install correctly. Like room for error and hosing my phone.
  9. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Well-Known Member

Giantpune made it as easy as rooting with an app, as posted by Dark above.

I would backup first thing after booting to cwm. Also wipe cache and davlik cache after installing gp's kernel in cwm (if your going to use it).
    Murf1 likes this.
  10. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Update: Never mind, 4 out of 5 now say I have root access (including one in poot).

Ok, so I ran the "rooter", got no errors, all [+], but the root checker says it is not rooted. I downloaded 4 other root checkers. 2 or 3 of them say it is rooted, but the others say it is not?!? A couple blew me crap about "busy box" not installed.
    So what now? Anyone know a reliable way to check my root?
    thanks

NOTE: I installed ministroII from market first, but when I ran Poot, it still said it needed libraries so I let it download them.
  11. Dark One

Download superuser and busybox installer from the market and install busybox. Then download a desired root app and see if it works.
  12. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

It's good now. Thanks!
  13. Artine

Artine Well-Known Member Contributor

Also, open either Superuser or SuperSU (whichever you have), and tell it to update the Superuser binary.
    Murf1 likes this.
  14. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Using Superuser. Just did it. Thanks for the help.:)
  15. ashleyxo

ashleyxo Member

Thanks!!