Thinking about rooting help

Last Updated:

1. shamrock11

shamrock11 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 23, 2009
    Hello, I am thinking about rooting my Sprint HTC Hero because I can no longer tolerate the lag. I have several questions before I root.

1) I installed the new OTA update so can I still root?
    2) After rooting, how can I remove Sprint/HTC bloatwear without a ROM?
    3) How can I change the boot animation to a Nexus one animation?
    4) Do I need Fresh 2.1.2 for the Fresh vanilla lockscreen to work or can I just flash the Fresh vanilla lockscreen?
    5) How do I unroot?
    6) Where can I get a different, less laggy, keyboard for free?

2. Traviswf

Traviswf Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    I am actually in the process of rooting for pretty much the same reasons. And I had all the same questions. Pretty much everything you asked can be answered in the sticky threads in the "All Things Root" forum. Here's the main links:

The general FAQ:

Info on Roms:

And I haven't read this, but it's about custom lock screens, which sounds like it can help you with #4:

And I believe you still can root even after installing the OTA update - check the posts in "All things root" about that.
  3. FdxRider

FdxRider Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    If you installed the new sprint update I don't believe you can gain root access. You have will have to reinstall the .5 update then follow the steps to root here,[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers and paste into your browser im still kinda new to this!) The .5 upgrade is found on the xda devs site.And after you root yes you can remove the bloatware.