Thinking about Rooting. Need some questions answered.

Last Updated:

1. JoshH1

JoshH1 Member This Topic's Starter

Alright so I'm thinking it's time to root. I need something to tinker with.

Evil Eris v.4 seems appealing to me, but it seems that I need to do something to get MMS working? When I flash the rom, I'm not going to be able to receive MMS messages or am I just misunderstanding something?

I feel like if I asked on XDA i'd get the "noob, shut up douche" etc treament. I've searched around but it seems a bit complicated still.

It seems like using Set CPU I can overclock safely to around 710 mhz? But I also want a profile to underclock while the screen is off?

How much free space do you usually have after a rom flash? I don't have many apps. But I'm weird about the free internal memory. :p

Thanks,
    Josh

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to the forums, Josh.

Interesting you'd ask about free space following a ROM flash, as I just flashed KaosFroyo v27 and am looking at that data right now.

SD card: 14.83Gb total, 14.54Gb available

Internal storage: 148Mb available

I did just finish my usual routine of using Root Explorer to remove a lot of stuff that came with the ROM.

Your question about EE4 is also interesting as I don't recall seeing much about unresolvable mms problems with that particular ROM.

Overclocking is not necessary with some ROMs, such as Aloysius and xtrROM, although some still do it with those ROMs. 710 is a good, rather safe ceiling to use, but you'll see a lot of stories either way on that.

You're right about setting a profile for sleep mode because the battery will like you more if you do that. ;)

Have fun. Post back about what you're doing.

3. JoshH1

I'll still debating, I was just curious about the MMS thing.

So when i flash the rom, it seems I need to download some package, and then use the terminal emulator to get the MMS working?

Could you possibly suggest a rom that would be working 100% out of the box? I'm still quite curious on this.

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I was torn between EE 4.0 or Sense-able 3.1. I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two (as far as looks go), so I went with the Sense-able. I've had no problems and my battery life has more than doubled. I haven't had to do anything to it. Very please customer here. :)

Like Frisco said, the Aloysius ROM is good too. It took up more internal storage space than Sense-able though. Also, you'll have to flash the Verizon apps for Aloysius, since it's a Sprint based ROM. This alters the Market to allow you to get Verizon only apps like VZW Data Usage and NFL app.

5. JoshH1

Here is a silly question.

adb shell = terminal emulator I can get from the market, correct?

6. JoshH1

Awesome, I'll look into sense-able