Thinking about Rooting

Last Updated:

1. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been considering rooting my Eris for a while now, but I finally feel ready to go ahead now. Just wanted to clear some things up before I went ahead:

1. If I root using the new one-click method, should I do a factory reset after? Do I do this by doing a wipe in Recovery mode?

2. After doing a wipe, what state is my phone in? Is it back to 1.5? And does my phone still get service or do I need to do a *228 option 1? (Would I have to do this everytime I switch ROMs?)

3. I'm trying to pick the best ROM that suits my needs. I'm leaning towards xtrSense (3.1 or 4??) but I'd like some recommendations. Here's some of the things I'd like to get out of rooting and using a ROM:
    - Performance increase (nothing major, but would like a little less lag when using Voice commands and also less keyboard hangups)
    - Equal, if not better, battery life
    - I'd like to remove Peep so I can use the official Twitter app instead. (can I do this manually if the ROM didn't already?)
    - A stable rom with very few bugs or problems and preferably keep Sense
    - I like the looks of the Sense-Able ROM because of the blue theme it has, but I'm afraid that ROM is more outdated

4. Should I use SetCPU? If so, are there recommended settings and profiles for me to use that are safe?

5. There's also the option of just rooting and not using a ROM since the new 1-click root doesn't delete any data but how would this compare to say, xtrSense?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Here's my take on some of your questions. They might answer some and also lead to more. Good luck!

I've been considering rooting my Eris for a while now, but I finally feel ready to go ahead now. Just wanted to clear some things up before I went ahead:

1. If I root using the new one-click method, should I do a factory reset after? Do I do this by doing a wipe in Recovery mode?

The one-click method will leave everything in-place...do you need a factory reset now? That's your decision point, not whether you root or not.

2. After doing a wipe, what state is my phone in? Is it back to 1.5? And does my phone still get service or do I need to do a *228 option 1? (Would I have to do this everytime I switch ROMs?)

You usually do the wipes in custom recovery before you flash a custom rooted ROM. A wipe is not necessary for an in-place root.

Before doing any wipes, you'll want to make a Nandroid backup first.

Also, the wipes do not affect which version of Android you run--that is determined by the ROM / OS that you've installed. You need to do a wipe data/factory reset before flashing a new ROM. Some ROM also require a wipe of Dalvik-cache--you should always research the wipe-requirements for a given ROM by reading through the devs ROM thread (usually hosted over at XDA).

3. I'm trying to pick the best ROM that suits my needs. I'm leaning towards xtrSense (3.1 or 4??) but I'd like some recommendations. Here's some of the things I'd like to get out of rooting and using a ROM:
    - Performance increase (nothing major, but would like a little less lag when using Voice commands and also less keyboard hangups)
    - Equal, if not better, battery life
    - I'd like to remove Peep so I can use the official Twitter app instead.
    - A stable rom with very few bugs or problems and preferably keep Sense
    - I like the looks of the Sense-Able ROM because of the blue theme it has, but I'm afraid that ROM is more outdated

You've got some research to do to select a ROM that's best for you. You'll probably end-up experiments and flashing several. There's lots of threads out there with folks discussing the various merits of the ROMs they've tried and use. Most custom ROMs should be a little better performing, but some are do have extra features built-in that can cause lessened battery life. Overclocking, even minimally at 710MHz (widely considered a safe o/c speed) works pretty well. You'll be able to remove whatever bloatware you choose, you've just got be careful and make sure you've taken Nandroid backups before doing so.

4. Should I use SetCPU? If so, are there recommended settings and profiles for me to use that are safe?

Check out this thread for some good discussions re. this: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/98457-overclocking-hmm.html

5. There's also the option of just rooting and not using a ROM since the new 1-click root doesn't delete any data but how would this compare to say, xtrSense?

If you root in-place, you've basically got the same phone you had before. You've just now got options to remove bloatware, overclock, run root-only apps (wi-fi tethering, drocap2, Root Explorer, etc.).

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

3. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

Just do it!!! It'll be the best thing you've ever done with your phone.

4. jpzsports

Thanks for all the help. I'll def take it all into account when I root.

I want to! haha but what exactly makes it so amazing (for you)? I'm pretty content right now with my phone besides occasional lag, but everyone seems to rave about how awesome root is.

5. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member

I was on the fence like you and rooted with the one click message last night. It took me 10 minutes to root and load a ROM. I wish I would have done it months ago now. So much faster. I went with XTR 3.0.3. I did not care for sense. The phone overall just works so much better and smoother.

6. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

i also just used the one-click method just the other day (monday),
    and i decided to go with xtrROM3.0.3 because i wanted the least
    amount of features as so to not experience any kind of lag.

7. jpzsports

Would using the xtrSense rom add much lag compared to xtrROM?

8. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

these roms do not lag at all. even without overclocking they are stable and fast.

i am now flashing xtr rom 4.0 beta. i really dug both xtr sense and xtr rom.

9. jpzsports

Alright another Q I had was I heard a week about about there being a problem that if you perform a factory reset, you lose your CDMA settings and people were having issues. Has that been fixed? And should I be worried since I'll have to wipe before install a ROM, right?

10. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

You can fix this yourself:

1. Go to dialer, put in *#*#4636#*#*
    2. Press Phone Information
    3. Press Menu, and pick Select Radio Band (you will get a force close, that's ok)
    4. Scroll down and under Radio Band dropdown change GSM Auto(PRL) to CDMA Auto (PRL)